Small "Gigging Kit" Sonor Force 3007 Jungle vs.Yamaha Hipgig Manu Katche

kevlionel

Hello fellow drummers

I'm tired of moving/setting up/tearing down my "normal" drumkit when playing gigs.
Therefore, I intend to get my hands on a lovely small kit.

Recently, I've read some threads/saw some pictures of the Sonor Force 3007 Jungle kit. As I am a huge Sonor fan, I instantly fell in love with it. It looks really sweet!
A question to you Sonor Jungle kit owners:

Is the kit good for gigging? Do you use it only for "small" gigs? I'm wondering if it is useable for medium/big venues, too? How versatile is it?

Furthermore, I've read about an issue regarding the pedal "touching/scratching" the bassdrum while playing. Is there a problem?
Here is the link to where I've read about this problem: http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32003

Anything else I should know about this kit?

While looking for other "small" kits I noticed the Yamaha Hipgig Manu Katche kit.
I'ts about the same price as the Sonor Jungle kit (a lil bit more expensive) but it comes with a snare. Does anybody own this kit? I'd love to hear some opinions on that one...

Are there any other options in this price range which I have overlooked?

Thanks in advance for your comments/opinions..
Cheers
Kevin

Last edited:
Have you looked at The Custom Classics at Sigler music. There are also pics and posts on that kit on this site. For the money looks like a pretty sweet deal.

I know Steve Smith uses and endorses the Sonor Force 3007 Jungle Kit. If it's good enough for him, well, it should be good enough for anyone.

Then again, he could make a cardboard box sound good :)

Have you looked at The Custom Classics at Sigler music. There are also pics and posts on that kit on this site. For the money looks like a pretty sweet deal.

Never heard of these custon classics... but they look nice. How do they sound?
I guess they're hard to find here in Europe... dunno. Gotta check it with the local drumshop

Cheers

Then again, he could make a cardboard box sound good :)

lol True! Saying that reminds me of this video of Jojo!

I just want to make sure I checked some other options... the Yamaha Higgig Manu Katche for example... but yeah... Sonor... lovin'it!

Didn't Yamaha discontinue the Manu Katche Hip Gig?

(It's Sonor not McDonald's mate! XD )

(It's Sonor not McDonald's mate! XD )

You have a point there... I knew it was a bad idea to eat at McDonalds yesterday.. whatever... still lovin' Sonor ;-)

Yes they did, unfortunately. Might find it on eBay though, or some dealers might still have them in stock.

Didn't know that...
But I am sure you'll find one if you look hard enough. I'd love to hear some opinions about the Manu Katche Hipgig.

You have a point there... I knew it was a bad idea to eat at McDonalds yesterday.. whatever... still lovin' Sonor ;-)

Haha!

I'd love to hear some opinions about the Manu Katche Hipgig.

They are quite nice kits actually. I don't own one so I can't comment on the road worthy side of them, but my ex-music school had one. I played on it regularly for a couple of months and it sounded sweet.

No I'm not sure that's why I asked the question : )

I'm persuaded I read or head somewhere that the MK Hip Gig is discontinued by Yamaha. As soon as I posted that I started looking online and just like you a saw they are still on Yamaha's website. I know my local drum shop (and this is some really big notorious drum shop - imagine 1200m² of drum gear! - around here and they have everything). So I'm not sure about the answer to that...

Hello fellow drummers

I'm tired of moving/setting up/tearing down my "normal" drumkit when playing gigs.
Therefore, I intend to get my hands on a lovely small kit.

Recently, I've read some threads/saw some pictures of the Sonor Force 3007 Jungle kit. As I am a huge Sonor fan, I instantly fell in love with it. It looks really sweet!
A question to you Sonor Jungle kit owners:

Is the kit good for gigging? Do you use it only for "small" gigs? I'm wondering if it is useable for medium/big venues, too? How versatile is it?

Furthermore, I've read about an issue regarding the pedal "touching/scratching" the bassdrum while playing. Is there a problem?
Here is the link to where I've read about this problem: http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32003

Anything else I should know about this kit?

While looking for other "small" kits I noticed the Yamaha Hipgig Manu Katche kit.
I'ts about the same price as the Sonor Jungle kit (a lil bit more expensive) but it comes with a snare. Does anybody own this kit? I'd love to hear some opinions on that one...

Are there any other options in this price range which I have overlooked?

Thanks in advance for your comments/opinions..
Cheers
Kevin

Hi Kevin,

Have you looked into the Taye GoKit? It's nice little kit.

http://www.youtube.com/user/TayeDrumsHD#p/a/u/2/qnX6zBny5Dk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9QCG18P6IM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTEsZYbVLU4

-R

i play almost hipgig style kits and small kits on my gigs
i played Taye Gokit, Slingerland 18,12,15 and Hipgig Rick Marotta.
next on my list is 18x14,10x8 ,14x14 Mapex Saturn.
I have 22,10,12,14,16 Mapex Saturn in Galaxy burst, only what i need is Kick 18x14 to have small kit. Saturn Toms sound incredible.
Here is another thread where i play Hipgig Marotta.
Check it out for your vision about how does it sound
http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58926&highlight=tv+show

Back in my guitar days, I played with a guy who had the Yamaha MK kit. He was in and out of the gigs almost as fast as I was. He also has an 80's Gretsch and some other kits, but he was perfectly happy gigging the the Yammies. I played it a few times and it sounded like real drums. Before joining up with that band, I heard them in a club where everything was miced up though a good PA (I've heard a lot of great drummers in this club) and there was nothing missing. Amazing what being well mic'ed up can do when you have good fundamental tone to begin with.

Thank you very much for all your comments and suggestions guys!

I did some more research and it looks like I will have to decide between the Sonor Force 3007 Jungle kit and the Yamaha Rick Marotta Hipgig kit.

I was almost sure that the Sonor Jungle kit is the way to go, however, now that I've checked out the Rick Marotta Hipgig kit I'm not too sure bout that anymore.

Actually, I think the Rick Marotta kit is unbeatable when it comes to transporting/setting up/tearing down. My only concern about it is the price. It's about three times the price of the Sonor Jungle kit.

I will take some time to think about it and will keep y'all posted on which kit I will get.

Cheers
Kevin

PS: slingerlandfreak, awesome playing in your video! Really enjoyed that

Kevin, keep in mind the weight of the drums. I hear that the Hip Gig kits once packed up can be pretty heavy. I don't know that personally. Something I heard in my travels.

I have to say that Yamaha is making some of the finest drums on the planet..at all pricepoints!

I own a Yamaha Hipgig Al Foster Signature and although I absolutely love the way it sounds (the toms sound surprisingly big), and the number of bags is reduced to one, it's one very heavy bag. Try to carry that to your car at 2am after a long gig and a couple of beers. I am selling mine soon and will probably go for either a Manu Katche Hipgig or a Sonor Jungle kit.

Back