Jason Roeder

Big Chris

Did a search and no results. Shame on you!

;-)

Jason Roeder just happens to drum in one of the finest bands to grace the earth. The mighty Neurosis

I just love his playing style. I know it's not full of technical flourishes, but neither should it be. Roeder and Neurosis go together like fish & chips!

I saw them live when they were touring the 'Sun that Never Sets' stuff (Shame really, as it's probably my least fave album) And was surprised to see he only used a single rack and single floor tom. The music always sounded so much more epic that i guess i was expecting some big-ass drum kit. :)

The whole band completely f***ing own. If you haven't got it, go and buy 'Through Silver in Blood'. it's a masterpiece.

A Sun That Never Sets is your least favorite album? Man, that record is incredible. Roeder's playing on Stones from the Sky is just perfect.
Definitely a great player. Thanks bringing him up.

And was surprised to see he only used a single rack and single floor tom. The music always sounded so much more epic that i guess i was expecting some big-ass drum kit. :)

What else would one need? I've been playing a four piece since I was 12 and I still don't feel like I've mastered it.

2278949230_550cd6ba53.jpg

Thanks for the kind words.

- Roeder

Jason,

Firstly i would like to thank you and your band for being such a profound musical inspiration for me. You guys aren't musicians, you're artists. I have the utmost respect for what you guys do. Kudos.

I have always been curious about the specs of your snare and cymbals. Would you care to shed some light on this? Your drumming is just so freakin heavy.

Many thanks. =)

I have always been curious about the specs of your snare and cymbals. Would you care to shed some light on this? Your drumming is just so freakin heavy.

Many thanks. =)

Thanks for the kind words.

The snare I am currently using is custom built by me. 7x14 solid segmented construction, made of bloodwood (also known as satine). I used this on Given To the Rising and all live shows since.

Before that was a 6.5x14 GMS maple that I used since Times of Grace.

My main kit is custom built w/ maple shells. I aIso gig and rehearse on a new PDP Platinum series.

I use DW hardware exclusively.

Cymbals are all Paiste 2002 rides.

24" Ride - above kick on right
Older 24" ride cut to 23" - above hats on left
20" Ride - far right above floor tom
Hihats: two old 22" Power Rides cut to 17"

Thanks again!

Hi!
Excellent work with Neurosis, thank you so much!!

I have a question (my first question in this forum!): What Hi Hat did you use on the ""Times Of Grace"" album?

Thank you!

Hi!
Excellent work with Neurosis, thank you so much!!

I have a question (my first question in this forum!): What Hi Hat did you use on the ""Times Of Grace"" album?

Thank you!

The hats on Times were either 17" or 14" depending on the song.

The 17" hats were the cut down rides I mentioned above.

The 14" hats were an old Paiste 2002 20" crash cut to 14" (bottom) and a very old Zildian "New Beat" bottom hat used on TOP. These were used in songs like "Belief" where I wanted a tighter and very cutting hat sound.

Wow! Ok... Cutomized HH!
At the end of "Belief" song, you used a different HH than the beginning of this song? I have a feeling open HH is different than closed HH ?
Your HH (opened HH, 17" hats?) is awesome... I love this dry sound.. Really good!
On "Under the surface" (a very, very good song!!), it goes hand in hand with the great intensity of the song. Excellent....

Thank you for your answer!

PS: Sorry for my poor english, I'm french... ^^

i'm sure you're over answering what did you use questions, but...................
i've been dying to know this forever now

what snare did you use for "the tide" and ,i'm guessing, the whole sun that never sets recording?

for me that's the best recorded drum tone i've ever cared to talk about. i love the snare on that song, i'm sure the room/ mics/ pres and all the other (insert recording jargon here) had a lot to do with it. but i still have to ask, just for my sanity. i also heard a rumor that you sold it on ebay. if so i'm totally bummed!

thanks

long time fan (since like 91)
marc jackson

what snare did you use for "the tide" and ,i'm guessing, the whole sun that never sets recording?
That is a GMS ten ply maple 6.5" x 14".

I used it on Times of Grace, Sovereign, A Sun That Never Sets and Eye of Every Storm. I brought it to the session for Given to the Rising but it sat unused in favor of my custom built snare I made just prior to that recording.

I still have the GMS, I will most likely pass it on to my son.

Mr. Roeder,

First of all, thanks for the art you and your band shared with the world during the last three decades. Also, thanks for taking the time to answer any of the questions here.

If you don't mind answering, I would like to know what method you use to cut down cymbals (24" to 23", 22" to 17" and so on). Do you have a lathe or something similar?
And about your custom built drums, do you make them from scratch, shells and all, or do you acquire pre-made "blanks" that you then customize?

Thanks in advance.

Roeder,

I'm not sure if this thread is only to ask questions on your equipment (if so then I apologize).

Do you play in Storm of Light or even occasionly, and if so then did you play at Cafe Metropolis in Wilkes-Barre with Wolves in the Throneroom (and another ambient black metal band but forgot the name) around May?

Roeder,

I'm not sure if this thread is only to ask questions on your equipment (if so then I apologize).

Do you play in Storm of Light or even occasionly, and if so then did you play at Cafe Metropolis in Wilkes-Barre with Wolves in the Throneroom (and another ambient black metal band but forgot the name) around May?

I need to check in here more.

I did fill in for one show with A Storm Of Light last year in Seattle when they were in between drummers.

Their drummer's name is Andy Rice.

Mr. Roeder,

First of all, thanks for the art you and your band shared with the world during the last three decades. Also, thanks for taking the time to answer any of the questions here.

If you don't mind answering, I would like to know what method you use to cut down cymbals (24" to 23", 22" to 17" and so on). Do you have a lathe or something similar?
And about your custom built drums, do you make them from scratch, shells and all, or do you acquire pre-made "blanks" that you then customize?

Thanks in advance.

I bring any cracked cymbals I have to a local shop who sends them out to a machinist to have them lathed down. It's an excellent way to extend the life of cymbals, and to give them new character at the same time.

For my custom kit I left the shell making to the experts at Keller. (I only have so much spare time, no desire to get into mold making...) I did the finishing, bearing edges, drilling, etc.

Rock on.

Thanks for clearing that up, if you said yes then my friend would have been shitting bricks. We're both huge fans.

He has a question now, has the Melvins been a huge influence in your band? If so what were your favorite albums?

Wow! Didn't think I'd actually get a response from the man himself.

When I mentioned 'Sun That Never Sets' as my least fave album, I'm not saying it's bad by any means, but it's not my fave.

'Times Of Grace' lived in my CD player for about 4 years, and 'Through Silver In Blood' just as long.

I even have a recording somewhere from back in '98/'99 when I, along with my then band went on the Rock Show for Thames radio. The DJ (A guy called Darren Reddick I believe, I think he's on Planet Rock DAB now) asked us who would form our dream band. The guitarists said they'd want John Bonham and Jimi Hendrix and so on. I just said I'd kick out Jason and drum for Nuerosis!

There's not much better in life than sticking 'Times Of Grace' on the Hi-fi, and sticking 'Grace' on the surround sound system, playing them both together and kicking back with a cold beer.

Wow! Didn't think I'd actually get a response from the man himself.

When I mentioned 'Sun That Never Sets' as my least fave album, I'm not saying it's bad by any means, but it's not my fave.

'Times Of Grace' lived in my CD player for about 4 years, and 'Through Silver In Blood' just as long.

I even have a recording somewhere from back in '98/'99 when I, along with my then band went on the Rock Show for Thames radio. The DJ (A guy called Darren Reddick I believe, I think he's on Planet Rock DAB now) asked us who would form our dream band. The guitarists said they'd want John Bonham and Jimi Hendrix and so on. I just said I'd kick out Jason and drum for Nuerosis!

There's not much better in life than sticking 'Times Of Grace' on the Hi-fi, and sticking 'Grace' on the surround sound system, playing them both together and kicking back with a cold beer.

Haha. You make it sound like the album is easy listening. Though it is an album you really need to just sit down and digest all at once.

Haha. You make it sound like the album is easy listening. Though it is an album you really need to just sit down and digest all at once.

i definitely agree, once you learn to open up to the music then the experience just feels so much better.

I bring any cracked cymbals I have to a local shop who sends them out to a machinist to have them lathed down. It's an excellent way to extend the life of cymbals, and to give them new character at the same time.
Thanks for the response.

How does the 23" compare to the 24" in sound and feel? Was there any lathing involved in order to remake the edge taper, or was it just simply cut down by an inch?

Back