Snare Drum Cases - Specific fit?

Jonathan Curtis

Silver Member
I need a snare drum case. However, I never realised they came not only by diameter size, but depth as well. I had assumed that any 14" case would fit any 14" snare, but this seems not to be so. Many manufacturers and shops as for the depth as well.

Firstly, I'm not sure of the depth of my snare, so how do I go about obtaining an accurate method. Secondly, am I to assume, then, that I'll need a new snare drum case for every snare drum I buy? I don't plan to play my current snare drum forever.

Finally, what are your recommendations? It needs to be tough enough for travelling, and preferably padded internally so it doesn't get scratched inside the case itself.

I'm currently looking at the standard 14" Hardcase, which seems to cite a minimum and maximum depth. As my snare is quite far below the maximum depth, does that mean it would move about within the case?

Thanks

Firstly, I'm not sure of the depth of my snare, so how do I go about obtaining an accurate method.

Depth is usually measured with the hoops off. However, you can leave them on and take off around half an inch. So if you measure a depth of 7", your snare is deemed to be 6.5" deep.

Secondly, am I to assume, then, that I'll need a new snare drum case for every snare drum I buy? I don't plan to play my current snare drum forever.

Up to you. Get a Hardcase and it's unlikely you'll need to.

Finally, what are your recommendations? It needs to be tough enough for travelling, and preferably padded internally so it doesn't get scratched inside the case itself.

If you're after a hard case, then I can recommend both Hardcase and SKB. If you're after a soft bag, then you can't go wrong with Protection Racket. (Both Hardcase and PR are UK companies....should be widely available)

I'm currently looking at the standard 14" Hardcase, which seems to cite a minimum and maximum depth. As my snare is quite far below the maximum depth, does that mean it would move about within the case?

Good choice. A standard 14" snare Hardcase will accomodate most snare depths from 5" through to around 8" (other cases are available for shallow piccolos or snares deeper than 8"). The design of the lid means that any snare between these depths will be locked in tight and not move around.

i agree skb and hardcase are my favorite cases too, but for snare id say skb, they make a really nice soft lined 15 inch square case for about $90 that will accept just about any snare you can think of, double throw offs, big lugs, iso mounts, etc....

The Humes and Berg Enduro Pro cases are top notch, padded cases. The padding is nearly indestructible. They are not cheap but you get what you pay for.

After having a padded hard case, I've never bothered since when buying others.

The drum is not going to get scratched inside the case. Not if you don't put anything inside with the drum that would scratch it.

I have an older H&B fiber case that is stamped 5x14, but it fits any 6.5 easily as well.
A 6.5 case should fit up to an 8 just fine.

I bring two snares to every gig. I just use a 14x14 case and put some good carpet pads I cut to fit the case (top, middle, bottom) between the 2 6.5 snares. It's worked like a charm for many years.

A hard case is a better choice IMO. You just never know, so better safe than sorry IMO.
If padding would make you feel better, spring for the extra few bucks, but IMO it's not necessary.

I use H&B Enduro cases.

Good luck!

I need a snare drum case. However, I never realised they came not only by diameter size, but depth as well. I had assumed that any 14" case would fit any 14" snare, but this seems not to be so. Many manufacturers and shops as for the depth as well.

Firstly, I'm not sure of the depth of my snare, so how do I go about obtaining an accurate method. Secondly, am I to assume, then, that I'll need a new snare drum case for every snare drum I buy? I don't plan to play my current snare drum forever.

Thanks

I use a Hardcase for my 13 by 4 snare. The case telescopes to hold a drum of up to 13 by 6. This case has fallen out of cars with my drum in it and the drum is completely untouched. I love the Hardcase brand.

+1 on the skb hard case. Very affordable, good protection inside and out, not sure though if you'd be able to use the same case should you change snare size when you upgrade. But either way would be good if you sell/keep this snare to have a case for it.

Back