DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 11-08-2012, 11:07 AM

Default Triangles

Just curious how many of you have a triangle in your kit. I myself love the sound.

russell
Old 11-08-2012, 01:33 PM

Default Re: Triangles

The triangle was my percussion teacher's favourite instrument. He pointed out that even when every instrument in an orchestra is playing at full belt, you can still hear the humble triangle above everything...a sonic butter-knife.
Old 11-08-2012, 01:47 PM
Gold Member

In my last concert band/perc ensemble concert I played the triangle in every song, but one. (I was playing other things besides the triangle also.)
Old 11-08-2012, 05:13 PM
Gold Member

I don't use one myself, but if I did, I would get a Matt Nolan triangle:

http://www.mattnolancustomcymbals.com/triangle-shop.php

GJS
Old 11-08-2012, 05:42 PM
Silver Member

Great sound all right. I don't use one and never have. I do carry several cowbells and a ouiro
with me just in case.
Old 11-08-2012, 05:49 PM

Do you pick it up to play it or do you have it suspended somewhere as part of your kit?
Old 11-08-2012, 05:52 PM
Silver Member

I've got two, interchange them depending on the tone I want. It hangs off one of my crash stands.
Old 11-08-2012, 09:42 PM
Platinum Member

Not on my drum set, but I use them plenty. My two favorites are my Grover 6" bronze (great sound for a pure, lighter sound) and my Grover 9" Super Overtone (big, clangy, and lots of complex overtones to discover). Between those two, I'm set.

http://www.steveweissmusic.com/category/triangles/2

My kit: http://drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44195
Old 11-09-2012, 06:42 AM
Gold Member

Triangles are cool but I keep loosing them. They just dissapear! They were made by a company in Bermuda. . .
Old 11-09-2012, 04:37 PM

Hi All

I presume there is a big difference beetween my £13 stagg triangle and the grover ones mentioned above for £125 ?

nealio
Old 11-09-2012, 04:48 PM
Gold Member

I would assume the metals used are different.
Old 11-09-2012, 05:12 PM

it sounds like a silly question i just wanted to know the difference , youre probably correct about the metals.

nealio
Old 11-09-2012, 05:39 PM
wsabol
This message has been deleted by wsabol. Reason: silly pun.. too silly
Old 11-09-2012, 08:21 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nealio1987 View Post

I presume there is a big difference beetween my £13 stagg triangle and the grover ones mentioned above for £125 ?
The type of metal used, as well as the manufacturing technique. Most "cheap" triangles are made with a steel of some kind. Steel is harsh-sounding, and when a steel rod is bent, the resonance gets reduced. Other metal alloys have more "complex" overtones, and when certain chosen softer alloys get used in triangles, their resonance isn't reduced as much, and the bending of the triangle itself is used to "fine tune" the overtones.

...I have no scientific basis or resources to back this claim, but this is how it was explained to me by a Black Swamp representative. All you have to do is play on the different triangles to hear the difference, and the difference is BIG. It's kind of like comparing a nickel-silver cymbal to a B20 bronze cymbal.

Old 11-10-2012, 12:55 AM
Platinum Member

Since a big part of playing a triangle is how you hold and mute it, are folks hanging one on their kit and hitting it with sticks? Or playing separately as in a concert band?
Old 11-10-2012, 05:01 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeolian View Post
Since a big part of playing a triangle is how you hold and mute it, are folks hanging one on their kit and hitting it with sticks? Or playing separately as in a concert band?
Yeah. I'm curious just how and when you play it. I can understand some songs might have a specific triangle part, but in general, do you just play it as an accent here and there? About how often do you hit it? Once a night or in every song?
Old 11-11-2012, 08:50 AM
Platinum Member

I never hit mine with a stick. That sounds terrible. Always use a triangle beater.

When doing musical productions, I usually mount the triangle out of necessity, but always in a way that I can strike it in the proper place and at the proper angle so that the overtones are consonant. Other than having to mount it sometimes, holding it is the preferred way to play it.

Old 11-11-2012, 12:10 PM
Renegade

Caddy, are there particular triangles you'd recommend? I have a couple of cheapos that I sometimes use in home recording and wouldn't mid upgrading.
Old 11-11-2012, 01:22 PM
Silver Member

The Alan Abel triangles are really nice. Start around $60 check steve weiss music.
Old 11-11-2012, 02:45 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Triangles...I never even considered them for my kit...I do love the tone....I'm wondering where I would incorporate them in the music I play.

Caddy, I know this is a silly question, but IYO, would you say that the majority of your triangle playing is a single strike at an opportune time, or would you say that you more often play multiple notes on them? If it is multiple notes, do you cut the triangle note short by muting as part of a multiple note figure, or do you let the note sing out? Also if it is multiple notes, do you play them with both hands? Sorry for the dumb questions. When I think of triangle, I think of a single note, placed in a great spot, but I am not very familiar with triangle playing as a whole.
Old 11-11-2012, 03:38 PM
Renegade

Thanks D, just checked them out and also some forum talk about them - definitely on my shopping list.

Larry, I've seen fusion percussionists play syncopated 16ths on triangle tapping with the beater (held in the RH) back and forth between two sides. The weight of the triangle was carried by the string dangling from the left thumb and the left hand fingers muted and opened. The sensation it created was similar to playing 16ths on the hats with syncopated open/close, except the sound was more clear and bright.

They also sound great when the recording is played backwards.
Old 11-11-2012, 07:49 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
Triangles...I never even considered them for my kit...I do love the tone....I'm wondering where I would incorporate them in the music I play.

Caddy, I know this is a silly question, but IYO, would you say that the majority of your triangle playing is a single strike at an opportune time, or would you say that you more often play multiple notes on them? If it is multiple notes, do you cut the triangle note short by muting as part of a multiple note figure, or do you let the note sing out? Also if it is multiple notes, do you play them with both hands? Sorry for the dumb questions. When I think of triangle, I think of a single note, placed in a great spot, but I am not very familiar with triangle playing as a whole.
All sorts of playing. In the classical sense, single notes and rolls. Not much muting, except for stopping the ringing when the entire ensemble goes quiet. In more of a world music sense, there's a lot more of the "mute mute riiiiiiiiing, mute mute riiiiiiiiiiing" (kinda like a guiro pattern).

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigd View Post
The Alan Abel triangles are really nice. Start around $60 check steve weiss music.
I have one, and it's nice for a pure, piercing tone, but I like a little more complexity and warmth to my sound, generally. It's like a steel snare versus a bronze snare, or a ping ride versus a thinner, hand-hammered one. Everything has its place, and everyone has their preference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anon La Ply View Post
Caddy, are there particular triangles you'd recommend? I have a couple of cheapos that I sometimes use in home recording and wouldn't mid upgrading.
The cheapo triangles you find next to the kids' shakers and kazoos in music stores are fine for the "tick tick taaaaang tick tick taaaaaang" stuff. If you want a nice "accent" or a sustaining tone, I mentioned a few earlier. I use the Grover 6" bronze and the Grover 9" Super Overtone triangles. Between these two, I feel I have all my bases covered. I do have more, but that's only because I haven't been able to sell them. :(

Old 11-12-2012, 04:55 AM
Gold Member

Just curious, does anyone here use a triangle with a drum kit in a band (not an orchestral or concert band setting) for anything except Latin music? I can't think of another application. Maybe I need to broaden my horizons.
Old 11-12-2012, 06:24 AM
Renegade

Quote:
Originally Posted by caddywumpus View Post
... there's a lot more of the "mute mute riiiiiiiiing, mute mute riiiiiiiiiiing" (kinda like a guiro pattern).
That's what I was labouring to say earlier :)[/quote]

Quote:
Originally Posted by caddywumpus View Post
I have one, and it's nice for a pure, piercing tone, but I like a little more complexity and warmth to my sound, generally. It's like a steel snare versus a bronze snare, or a ping ride versus a thinner, hand-hammered one. Everything has its place, and everyone has their preference.
That's helpful info, though I have to decide Whether to blend or contrast with my dark cymbals ...

Zickos, I can see a place for triangle in prog and psychedlic music.
Old 11-12-2012, 03:50 PM
Gold Member

[/quote]Zickos, I can see a place for triangle in prog and psychedlic music.[/quote]

Do you have any examples?
Old 11-12-2012, 07:48 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zickos View Post
Just curious, does anyone here use a triangle with a drum kit in a band (not an orchestral or concert band setting) for anything except Latin music? I can't think of another application. Maybe I need to broaden my horizons.
Cajun and Zideco as well. In Latin gigs, the triangle is usually played by one of the percussionists...the drum set player has enough to worry about. :)