DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 08-01-2012, 09:06 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Vater Sticks

I've not been too particular about my sticks as long as they're Vater or VF 5As (or something pretty close to that), but usually default to Vater out of habit and I like just like them.

Recently my shop was out of Vater 5As so I got VF, and first thing I notice is this feeling like my hands are sticky, like I'd just munched a pile of syrup-covered waffles bare handed. Yuk. So I wash my hands and try again with a pair of fresh sticks, and same friggin' thing. I'm like, yo, what's up with that?

I don't know if they've reformulated whatever finish they put on there or what, but it's not working out for me. Next time, gimme Vaters or gimme Death!

(okay, that was a little dramatic...).

My Band
Old 08-01-2012, 10:51 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
I've not been too particular about my sticks as long as they're Vater or VF 5As (or something pretty close to that), but usually default to Vater out of habit and I like just like them.

Recently my shop was out of Vater 5As so I got VF, and first thing I notice is this feeling like my hands are sticky, like I'd just munched a pile of syrup-covered waffles bare handed. Yuk. So I wash my hands and try again with a pair of fresh sticks, and same friggin' thing. I'm like, yo, what's up with that?

I don't know if they've reformulated whatever finish they put on there or what, but it's not working out for me. Next time, gimme Vaters or gimme Death!

(okay, that was a little dramatic...).
Strange considering most VF sticks are natural wood with no coating.
Old 08-02-2012, 04:50 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gvdadrummasum View Post
gotta go with Vic

I've had way too many inconsistent pairs of Vater to say anything good about them

same with Pro Mark, Regal, and Zildjian

never anything but perfection from Vic Firth every single time
...and after trying dozens of styles and many many companies over the last 30 years...I have to completely agree. Vic Firth SD4, HD4, 5A, and even 5b depending on the gig/volume needed. Fav = VF 5a wood tip. I can pull out a 2 year old one and play it with a brand new one in the other hand and they feel like a pair. Remarkably consistent. Year over year. I do like some Vater too (Fusion)...and Los Cabos, especially the bigger but light maple models. Ditto on the Pro Mark/Regal/Zildjian experience.

Neal
Old 08-02-2012, 04:58 AM
Gold Member

just got a new shipment of Vaters...24 pair. Not 1 stick was out of round. They were all dead on. I have yet to get a banana from Vater.
F
Old 08-02-2012, 03:01 PM
Platinum Member

I've never really gave Vater sticks a good go. Not for any particular reason. I can say the same about Regals and Ahead. I think I've had a few pairs of Regals in the past, but for most of my time drumming, it's been Pro-Mark all the way. But I did venture out eventually and tried VF and Zildjian sticks. I was finally happy with the VF 5A Extremes as a sub for the Pro-Marks 747's. Lately I've just been using standard 5A sticks and I figure I can get the VF Pro Drum Shop sticks for $5 a pair. Plus it would give me a good reason to stop in over there. Now I have to try the Vater sticks too just to make sure I'm not missing out on something special. Maybe I can get 10 BPM more on my single-stroke roll. Who knows?
Old 08-02-2012, 08:21 PM
Silver Member

I've given lots of different sticks a try, and I've settled on Vater. their new "Punisher" stick is exactly what I've been looking for, sized between 5B and 2B, and with a small-ball style tip.

and they have the biggest sticks I could find, the 3S, for my warmup stick. dia-.730"
Old 08-03-2012, 08:27 AM

Recently I got myself a pair of Vater drumsticks. Pro-rock model. Tried it out at church the last time I played. Loved the sound, the feel and the respond from the sticks.
Old 08-03-2012, 08:50 AM
Platinum Member

My experience with sticks is limited, plus I've noticed that one's preference for and/or perception of sticks (feel) can change over time. I tried various Vater sticks on this year's Musikmesse and liked the Derek Roddy signature sticks most. Together with 1 pair of Pro-Mark those are my favourite sticks now. The VF's I've been using before that now serve as practice variation sticks. I'll continue to check out more sticks in the future.
Old 08-03-2012, 02:12 PM
Silver Member

I use Fusion Acorns and 5As depending on my mood and they're good :)
Old 08-03-2012, 03:56 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocdrums View Post
If you like the weight up front it's Vater, if you like the weight in back it's Firth.

This ^ Vater are forward weighted too much for my tastes. VF's...I like their balance, never had a bad VF. I stopped rolling VF's because there's no need.
Old 08-04-2012, 05:10 AM

I've played some Vater sticks before and now I'm looking to buy some soon. My current primary stick is the Promark Hickory 5B, which I like but they seem to wear out pretty fast and I've heard good things about Vaters' durability. I also like the weight. I'm looking for a stick maybe a bit smaller than the 5B but with a similar weight. I know Vater makes a lot of special models. Any suggestions? I know they have Sugar Maple as well, but I'm trying to stick to Hickory for the durability.
Old 08-04-2012, 04:01 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
This ^ Vater are forward weighted too much for my tastes. VF's...I like their balance, never had a bad VF. I stopped rolling VF's because there's no need.
Gee wizz, we like a lot of the same stuff, its like we were separated at birth or something...lol