DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 04-26-2012, 05:17 PM
Gold Member

Default New drum kit - what to get?

Hi,
I'm on the mood for a new kit. Having a tiny problem, though. Can't find anything that suits my needs, so I'll ask you for help. Here's my requirements...
  • 10, 12, 14, 16, 20
  • Rather shallow sizes
  • Floor toms on rack (benefits?)
  • No extraordinary finish, keep it simple
  • Versatile tuning possibilities
  • Company with great customer service
  • Around 2000 dollar (used or new)

Hit me!
Old 04-26-2012, 05:22 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: New drum kit - what to get?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameo View Post
Hi,
I'm on the mood for a new kit. Having a tiny problem, though. Can't find anything that suits my needs, so I'll ask you for help. Here's my requirements...
  • 10, 12, 14, 16, 20
  • Rather shallow sizes

Hit me!
Dammit, fell at the last hurdle ;)
Old 04-26-2012, 05:44 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep it simple View Post
You got a personal name check in the post though...
Old 04-26-2012, 05:53 PM
Silver Member

A quick search doesn't yield any results on those sizes in an off the shelf shellpack from Sonor, Mapex or Tama. Looks like you might need to order a fusion size kit and get an add-on 16, perhaps.

Good luck, anyway!
Old 04-26-2012, 05:58 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Bah, could spend a little more. How much for a Guru? :)
Old 04-26-2012, 06:55 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Hi,
  • 10, 12, 14, 16, 20
  • Rather shallow sizes

Hit me!
At this price point, please don't bother with entry-level, or even mid-level models. Spend a bit extra and get everything that the brand has to offer. The sound will be as good as can be, the build quality ought to be excellent, and the hardware and finish should hold up nicely over time. Quality control at the factory should be better as well.

Personally, I wouldn't bother with hanging the floor toms. I've never needed my floors to resonate or sustain longer than they already do. If it's a concern, check out the rubber floor tom feet with holes made by Pearl. I'd rather carry six floor tom legs in a hardware bag than a double-braced stand anyway.

I'd stay away from Pearl, because their suspension mounts on the rack toms hold the drums too forcefully, and choke the drums, IMO. Tama's sound great (to me), but their finishes are wild and the hardware is rather ornate. Grestch and Sonor are my sonic favorites, but both are pricey.

Ludwig makes the most sense in your case, I think. Legacy Classic or Exotic with keystone badges! For a simple and timeless finish, maybe clear maple or silver sparkle? The wrap finish may cost less, but it'll hold up for a long, long time, and resist scratching very well. Most vintage drums have wraps and sound fabulous, so I've never believed the marketing hype that the existence of a wrap hampers the sound in any appreciable way.

Good luck!
Old 04-26-2012, 07:15 PM
Anthony Amodeo

Quote:
Hi,
  • 10, 12, 14, 16, 20
  • Rather shallow sizes

Hit me!
Im partial to Gretsch so of course Ill recommend them

the New Classics are fantastic and affordable

the new Brooklyn series is absolutely amazing

I personally hate floating floor toms so I wont speak about them because Ill have nothing nice to say :)

as for Gretsch the company.....they are great....I have had awesome customer experiences

its the one company Ive called where you can actually get a rep on the phone without being a dealer
Old 04-26-2012, 07:34 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentcn View Post
At this price point, please don't bother with entry-level, or even mid-level models. Spend a bit extra and get everything that the brand has to offer. The sound will be as good as can be, the build quality ought to be excellent, and the hardware and finish should hold up nicely over time. Quality control at the factory should be better as well.

Personally, I wouldn't bother with hanging the floor toms. I've never needed my floors to resonate or sustain longer than they already do. If it's a concern, check out the rubber floor tom feet with holes made by Pearl. I'd rather carry six floor tom legs in a hardware bag than a double-braced stand anyway.

I'd stay away from Pearl, because their suspension mounts on the rack toms hold the drums too forcefully, and choke the drums, IMO. Tama's sound great (to me), but their finishes are wild and the hardware is rather ornate. Grestch and Sonor are my sonic favorites, but both are pricey.

Ludwig makes the most sense in your case, I think. Legacy Classic or Exotic with keystone badges! For a simple and timeless finish, maybe clear maple or silver sparkle? The wrap finish may cost less, but it'll hold up for a long, long time, and resist scratching very well. Most vintage drums have wraps and sound fabulous, so I've never believed the marketing hype that the existence of a wrap hampers the sound in any appreciable way.

Good luck!
Nice points. Hate Pearl, their hardware is !"#Ä%&. Doesn't sound any good either.
I like Yamaha. Nearly bought a Maple Custom Nouveau last year.
Mapex is cool, too. My first kit was from Mapex. Even if it was mid-level, it sounded pretty good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gvdadrummasum View Post
Im partial to Gretsch so of course Ill recommend them

the New Classics are fantastic and affordable

the new Brooklyn series is absolutely amazing

I personally hate floating floor toms so I wont speak about them because Ill have nothing nice to say :)

as for Gretsch the company.....they are great....I have had awesome customer experiences

its the one company Ive called where you can actually get a rep on the phone without being a dealer
I have a Renown right now, so stepping up to the New Classics could be nice step. I don't know if I like the die-cast hoops, though, and the five lug rack toms.... :(

Forget about suspended floors, rejecting that idea! ;)
Old 04-26-2012, 07:41 PM
Anthony Amodeo

Quote:

I have a Renown right now, so stepping up to the New Classics could be nice step. I don't know if I like the die-cast hoops, though, and the five lug rack toms.... :(

Forget about suspended floors, rejecting that idea! ;)
I have a set of New Classics...they sound amazing...that true Gretsch sound

the cast hoops dont bother me at all ..I think they are a nice compliment to the 30 degree bearing edge ...nice warm sound

and the 5 lug configuration is a standard with Gretsch up to I believe 13" toms for many many years.....so something about it works :)
Old 04-26-2012, 08:12 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Hate Pearl, their hardware is !"#Ä%&.
Iíve never liked the Pearl tom mounting system from a design point of view.

But Iíve beaten the crap out of Pearl cymbal stands, hi-hat stands, clamps, pedals, etc. for decades and found that itís all extremely durable. I highly recommend it.
Old 04-26-2012, 08:44 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Bah, could spend a little more. How much for a Guru? :)
Sorry my friend, I'd love to help, but if we're talking US Dollars, we'd be looking at double your budget for the 5 drums. One hell of a solid shell kit though, & hand crafted precisely to your requirements in every respect.

Good luck with the search though. My personal favourite ply kits are Sonor FWIW, depending on the sound palate you're after, & you should be able to snag something tasty used for your budget. Unless this is to be you're ultimate kit, I wouldn't get too hung up on details like + or - an inch on depth, etc, if you stumble across something that's just right in every other respect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netz Ausg View Post
You got a personal name check in the post though...
Ha, yes :)
Old 04-26-2012, 09:05 PM

Quote:

the cast hoops dont bother me at all ..I think they are a nice compliment to the 30 degree bearing edge ...nice warm sound

and the 5 lug configuration is a standard with Gretsch up to I believe 13" toms for many many years.....so something about it works :)
i also have a gretsch new classic bop kit. its a great kit.
Old 04-26-2012, 09:27 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
That's too funny of a post... Thanks for the chuckle.

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cp84 View Post
i also have a gretsch new classic bop kit. its a great kit.
Make this another person who can't say enough wonderful things about the New Classics. Simply great sounding stuff... Assuming it's the sound you are after.
Old 04-26-2012, 09:50 PM

Tama Superstar Hyper drive will get you close...off the shelf, the 5 piece kit won't get you the 14 and the 6 piece won't get you the 20...you could go for the 5 and get the add on. Colors aren't that funky. Red and blue burst, white, mocha fade are pretty classic. Shallow toms. Should be in the cost range you mentioned and a little left for other fun stuff. Good quality intermediate kit.
Old 04-26-2012, 09:56 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shambo View Post
Tama Superstar Hyper drive will get you close...off the shelf, the 5 piece kit won't get you the 14 and the 6 piece won't get you the 20...you could go for the 5 and get the add on. Colors aren't that funky. Red and blue burst, white, mocha fade are pretty classic. Shallow toms. Should be in the cost range you mentioned and a little left for other fun stuff. Good quality intermediate kit.
The Tama HD kits come with 22" bass drums only, just with variable depths. The difference is 5 piece = 20" deep, 6 piece = 18" deep.
Old 04-26-2012, 09:56 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shambo View Post
+1

Or

Sonor Ascents
Gretsch Renowns

While I am still a huge fan of Yamaha, to my knowledge they don't really offer any intermediate kits with virgin bass drums other than the Rock tour which is usually a 4 piece setup.
Old 04-26-2012, 10:20 PM

Quote:
The Tama HD kits come with 22" bass drums only, just with variable depths. The difference is 5 piece = 20" deep, 6 piece = 18" deep.
He speaks the truth...neither gets you the 20. Bummer!
Old 04-26-2012, 10:33 PM
Silver Member

From personal experiences, I'd go for a Mapex Meridian Maple or a Saturn, Tama Silverstar/Superstar Hyperdrive or a Gretsch Renown/New Classic kit. Great kits and great value too! They all have good mounting systems too!
Old 04-26-2012, 10:47 PM
Balto

Why do people keep asking this question. It is so easy!!! Saturn!!! :)
I decided to edit this. Please don't buy a Saturn. I don't want everyone else to discover what I have. :)
Old 04-26-2012, 11:15 PM
Platinum Member

With that kind of dough I'd would first go for Ludwig Legacy Classics. But I think the best buy for your money at the moment are the Grestch Renowns for around $900 or so.
Old 04-26-2012, 11:43 PM
Gold Member

+1 For Gretsch although I am not sure if you can get a standard kit in the configuration you want.
Session Work
Old 04-26-2012, 11:54 PM
Gold Member

Mapex is an amazing company that is getting a lot of props right now. They have the older "Pro M" series which is great, and the Saturn and Orion series are both pretty awesome. They have a new custom line called MyDentity which, despite the name, which I don't love, is fantastic. I have a new 6 piece coming in that line now. It's amazing. The local drum shop told me that since MyDentities have come out, not one person who has gone there to order a DW has stuck with it...instead they all order MyDentities. Amazing drums.

www.rossidrums.com
MySpace: rossidrums
Old 04-26-2012, 11:59 PM
Balto

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrchattr View Post
Mapex is an amazing company that is getting a lot of props right now. They have the older "Pro M" series which is great, and the Saturn and Orion series are both pretty awesome. They have a new custom line called MyDentity which, despite the name, which I don't love, is fantastic. I have a new 6 piece coming in that line now. It's amazing. The local drum shop told me that since MyDentities have come out, not one person who has gone there to order a DW has stuck with it...instead they all order MyDentities. Amazing drums.
That is a very good point about the Mydentity's. Custom kit for 1000. Great deal. They don't make the Orion anymore, so they are out.
Old 04-27-2012, 01:12 AM
Silver Member

Orion is still available in europe :)
Old 04-27-2012, 01:51 AM
Balto

Quote:
Orion is still available in europe :)
Yes, that is true. I wonder for how much longer. They didn't sell very well over here. Maybe they are more popular in Europe.
Old 04-27-2012, 04:26 AM
Silver Member

It's funny... He has a set of Renowns, and yet so many people are suggesting them!

Are you looking to keep the Renowns and get a second kit, or to sell? What don't you like about you current set? Sound, configuration, or just looking at different sizes? Would you consider expanding your existing kit, or are you looking to get something different or complementary as an alternative? What sizes do you have now, and what do you consider shallow sizes? I can't imagine that getting New Classics would be that different from what you have.

20" kicks are a little harder to find, though, and you'l possibly have to get a 10/12/14/20 and hunt down the 16 separately. The Saturn 10/12/14/20 jazz pack with an add-on 16" floor would fit the budget. Ludwig Classic Maples would give you any sizes you could want, but would overshoot your budget by a bit. Renowns would run a few hundred under 2 grand, New Classics overshoot the budget a little. I forget what the options are for the DW Performance series are, but are worth checking. I don't get the Pearl hate either; while nobody likes ISS mounts Pearl hardware is pretty good, and anything in your price range would have Optimounts anyways.
Old 04-27-2012, 06:51 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soupy View Post
It's funny... He has a set of Renowns, and yet so many people are suggesting them!
Thanks, people have to learn how to read. :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soupy View Post
Are you looking to keep the Renowns and get a second kit, or to sell? What don't you like about you current set? Sound, configuration, or just looking at different sizes? Would you consider expanding your existing kit, or are you looking to get something different or complementary as an alternative? What sizes do you have now, and what do you consider shallow sizes? I can't imagine that getting New Classics would be that different from what you have.

20" kicks are a little harder to find, though, and you'l possibly have to get a 10/12/14/20 and hunt down the 16 separately. The Saturn 10/12/14/20 jazz pack with an add-on 16" floor would fit the budget. Ludwig Classic Maples would give you any sizes you could want, but would overshoot your budget by a bit. Renowns would run a few hundred under 2 grand, New Classics overshoot the budget a little. I forget what the options are for the DW Performance series are, but are worth checking. I don't get the Pearl hate either; while nobody likes ISS mounts Pearl hardware is pretty good, and anything in your price range would have Optimounts anyways.
I'm not speaking of hyper drive, short stack sizes. Just 10" x 7" and 12" x 8" rack, with 14" x 12" and 16" x 14" floor, and a shallow 20" kick, 16" or 14" deep. I'm thinking of selling my whole kit, but keeping the Byzance cymbals.

I've had nothing but bad experience with Pearl, that's why... unfortunately. :(
My Renown is in the, exclusive for Europe, jazz configuration. I'm stepping up, since I play a lot of other stuff (but I guess; could just add a 10" and 16" tom, but stuck with a 18" bass). I want to try something new. Also, looking for a different sound. The Saturns have that. Nice sound and sizes, somewhat good finishes.
Old 04-27-2012, 06:53 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balto View Post
Why do people keep asking this question. It is so easy!!! Saturn!!! :)
I decided to edit this. Please don't buy a Saturn. I don't want everyone else to discover what I have. :)
We missed you. Please insert a picture. <3
Old 04-27-2012, 02:07 PM
Balto

Quote:
We missed you. Please insert a picture. <3
You Asked! :)

Old 04-27-2012, 02:10 PM
Balto

Cameo. Get one of those new Special Edition birch/walnut Saturn kits with the fingered burl maple exterior finish. You can get it in 4 different colors now. A guy on another site got the Ocean Blue one and it looks great!
Old 04-27-2012, 03:00 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balto View Post
Cameo. Get one of those new Special Edition birch/walnut Saturn kits with the fingered burl maple exterior finish. You can get it in 4 different colors now. A guy on another site got the Ocean Blue one and it looks great!
Yeah, been thinking about it, but they're kind of hard to track down in Europe at a reasonable price. Link, please?

For all you who have helped me - thanks! Getting a 16" later seems like a good idea.
Old 04-29-2012, 06:25 PM

I couldn't answer that for you. You need to go out there and try as many drum-kits as you can to find what you think suits you best! As for your drum sizes, those pretty much seem to be the new standard in sizes now. you shouldn't have a hard time finding those sizes any where. I think Steve Smith uses the same sizes, nice jazzy sounding kit!!!
Old 04-29-2012, 06:47 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummerman42 View Post
I couldn't answer that for you. You need to go out there and try as many drum-kits as you can to find what you think suits you best! As for your drum sizes, those pretty much seem to be the new standard in sizes now. you shouldn't have a hard time finding those sizes any where. I think Steve Smith uses the same sizes, nice jazzy sounding kit!!!
Those are standard on toms, not bass. That's the problem.
...but I could live with a 18", I'll just order an add-on from Gretsch.

...and I live in southern Sweden. No music stores around here, and if I'd find something it would be damn expensive. Found a huge Classic Maple around 2K, though.
Old 04-29-2012, 08:30 PM

Being in Europe I would definitely look into SONOR. I have owned a ton of high end kits and the German made SONOR kits are in my opinion the best ply kits on the market. My second choice would be either Yamaha or Gretsch. The Yamaha RC and Gretsch Broadkaster are my favorites from either of those two companies. But with a budget of 2000 I would look for a used maple light designer kit. Good luck.
Old 04-29-2012, 08:34 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smatch View Post
Being in Europe I would definitely look into SONOR. I have owned a ton of high end kits and the German made SONOR kits are in my opinion the best ply kits on the market. My second choice would be either Yamaha or Gretsch. The Yamaha RC and Gretsch Broadkaster are my favorites from either of those two companies. But with a budget of 2000 I would look for a used maple light designer kit. Good luck.
You just named my favorite companies (Brady and Dunnett excluded)!
I'll definitely search for some Sonors. But their nicer drums always seem to be so deep.
Old 04-29-2012, 09:33 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
You just named my favorite companies (Brady and Dunnett excluded)!
I'll definitely search for some Sonors. But their nicer drums always seem to be so deep.
Physically deep or philosophically deep?
Old 04-30-2012, 06:28 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Eder View Post
Physically deep or philosophically deep?
Both, lol.
Found a Lite here in Sweden, nice price and everything, but 12" x 10" rack...
Old 05-06-2012, 05:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrchattr View Post
Please review the MyDentity kit when it arrives mrchattr. Can't seem to find any reviews / videos of them yet, but they sound like a great deal for the amount of customization and quality of the Mapex drums. Thanks.
Old 05-06-2012, 07:28 AM
Gold Member

Cameo you can get nearly any drum kit from thomann.de or a lot of other great shops here in Germany.

If I had to do the first kit over I would dump money in awesome hardware followed by cymbals. Down the road you can put cash on new shell sets; most higher end drums come in shell sets.
Session Work
Old 05-06-2012, 08:36 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirborneSFC View Post
Cameo you can get nearly any drum kit from thomann.de or a lot of other great shops here in Germany.

If I had to do the first kit over I would dump money in awesome hardware followed by cymbals. Down the road you can put cash on new shell sets; most higher end drums come in shell sets.
I have high end cymbals and hardware already, lol.
Saw that they're offering Sonor shells in the 10", 14", 16" config. Looks promising.