DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 11-01-2011, 03:02 AM

Default Stage Custom 24" Bass Drum -- Birch -- drumhead suggestions

Hi All:

I just joined, but I have read the forum for awhile and am very impressed. I just ordered a Yamaha 24" Stage Custom Birch Bass Drum. It's a first for me because I have been playing 20" maple bass drums for some time now (different brands). On those drums, I have used Remo Powerstroke 3 with ambassador resonants (no muffling) and Aquarian super kick (again no muffling in the shell).

With the 24" Stage Custom Birch, I want a big resonant sound without warble, and I don't want to put muffling (like a blanket or pillow) in the shell. I'm considering the single ply EMAD. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.
Old 11-01-2011, 03:34 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Stage Custom 24" Bass Drum -- Birch -- drumhead suggestions

I had to go to a superkick II, with the larger ring to calm down the boomey-ness of my 24. Though mine is deep, too at 24x18. Admittedly, I do put a pillow in there for some applications, as well; small rooms and what not... In general, the super2 was the ticket for me. I originally had the same thought as you that I'd just get the 1 ply superkick, the shop was out but had the 2. Turned out really well on that big drum, though. I still keep a single ply on my 20 inch kick.

It's unfortunate that bass drum heads are as expensive as they are... Makes it harder to try different things without paying a bunch. Once you've tuned with a head once, it's not worth much.
Old 11-01-2011, 05:32 AM
Platinum Member

Ah, welcome to the wonderful world of big bass drums my friend!

I have the same exact kick with my kit. 24x17 bass 12 and 16 toms, can't remember the depth.

I've been pretty happy with putting a coated Powerstroke 3 on the batter head, although I like a rather big boom out of my kick. I have the stock reso although I cut a port hole in it. I plan to swap it out for an unported Fiberskin or coated single ply.

My Girlfriend's dad and fellow drummer has the same kit and runs an Emad batter and reso on there AND a pillow. This works well for the sound he's after: a short, punchy hit that's suited well for rock music.

I wanted more of a Bonham esque "BOOM!" so I opted for the SK3 and no muffling. I have found that I like the sound more when I tune it up a bit instead of a very low rumble I get a clean and defined yet boomy attack that carries very well at unmiked gigs. Also the higher tuning sounds much better with faster bass patterns. I played a gig a few months ago where I shared my kit with a drummer form a local Psychobilly outfit. Their drummer hooked up his double kick to my bass and worked in a good bit of tasty shuffles on the bass. I had my kit tuned down (Just-above-a-wrinkle) and it didn't carry as well as it could have and sounded a bit muddy. After that gig I keep it nice and tight.

Mah Rogers
Snares
Old 11-01-2011, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Watso View Post
I had to go to a superkick II, with the larger ring to calm down the boomey-ness of my 24. Though mine is deep, too at 24x18. Admittedly, I do put a pillow in there for some applications, as well; small rooms and what not... In general, the super2 was the ticket for me. I originally had the same thought as you that I'd just get the 1 ply superkick, the shop was out but had the 2. Turned out really well on that big drum, though. I still keep a single ply on my 20 inch kick.

It's unfortunate that bass drum heads are as expensive as they are... Makes it harder to try different things without paying a bunch. Once you've tuned with a head once, it's not worth much.
Thanks very much for the feedback. This is very helpful. With the 2 ply, do you still get any sustain? Or is it very short and punch?
Old 11-01-2011, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Menace View Post
Ah, welcome to the wonderful world of big bass drums my friend!

I have the same exact kick with my kit. 24x17 bass 12 and 16 toms, can't remember the depth.

I've been pretty happy with putting a coated Powerstroke 3 on the batter head, although I like a rather big boom out of my kick. I have the stock reso although I cut a port hole in it. I plan to swap it out for an unported Fiberskin or coated single ply.

My Girlfriend's dad and fellow drummer has the same kit and runs an Emad batter and reso on there AND a pillow. This works well for the sound he's after: a short, punchy hit that's suited well for rock music.

I wanted more of a Bonham esque "BOOM!" so I opted for the SK3 and no muffling. I have found that I like the sound more when I tune it up a bit instead of a very low rumble I get a clean and defined yet boomy attack that carries very well at unmiked gigs. Also the higher tuning sounds much better with faster bass patterns. I played a gig a few months ago where I shared my kit with a drummer form a local Psychobilly outfit. Their drummer hooked up his double kick to my bass and worked in a good bit of tasty shuffles on the bass. I had my kit tuned down (Just-above-a-wrinkle) and it didn't carry as well as it could have and sounded a bit muddy. After that gig I keep it nice and tight.
I am so pleased to get this helpful feedback. You raise a good point about double bass drum. With the 20" powerstroke, I fine that the drum is small enough that I can play double bass and still get articulation at a medium tension. With the 24" head, does it get too muddy with the powerstroke 3, or does it still work? Thanks in advance.
Old 11-01-2011, 06:27 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santa Ana Drummer View Post
Thanks very much for the feedback. This is very helpful. With the 2 ply, do you still get any sustain? Or is it very short and punch?
One thing I ain't got with that drum is a problem getting sustain. I think a lot of the actual note and "sustain" of the note takes place on the resonant side of the drum, which is one reason I sometimes dislike putting mic ports in my kicks. At any rate, for smaller rooms or recording sometimes I end up going back to the old pillow, or more likely playing a smaller kick.

17 is an interesting depth. I think once in a while about cutting my 24 kick down to a 16 depth, and 17 kinds splits the difference. Let us know how you like your new one once you've got it dialed in!
Old 11-01-2011, 07:07 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I am so pleased to get this helpful feedback. You raise a good point about double bass drum. With the 20" powerstroke, I fine that the drum is small enough that I can play double bass and still get articulation at a medium tension. With the 24" head, does it get too muddy with the powerstroke 3, or does it still work? Thanks in advance.
If you tune it up a bit higher than you'd think you'll tune a rock drum then you'll get a nice clear note. I don't use a double kick but I work a good bit of the fast right foot into my playing. Tuned low it lacks definition as can be the woe of a larger drum but up higher it sounds great.

There is a member here named Evilbagua who is a friend of mine. He plays all manner of growl and grunt metal, in fact we were in a band together when I used to be a guitar player. Anyhoo, he tends to favor the larger kickers (28 and 26) He tunes them up higher, how high I can't say exactly, but the result is a very nice defined double kick sound with all the boom you'd ever need. In fact I blame him for being the reason I like bigger bass drums. One of these days I'll get me a nice 26" or 28". Till then when I have to gig every week the 24" works just fine.

Doc, I think I've finally decided to cut my 17" deep drum down to 14". This is supposed to give me more punch which would be cool. I'm just tired of lugging this cannon down 2 flights of stair to my truck every week. I think 24x14 would be more manageable depth.

Mah Rogers
Snares

Last edited by Red Menace; 11-01-2011 at 07:46 AM.
Old 11-01-2011, 07:19 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Menace View Post

There is a member here named Evilbagua who is a friend of mine. He plays all manner of grown and grunt metal, in fact we were in a band together when I used to be a guitar player. Anyhoo, he tends to favor the larger kickers (28 and 26) He tunes them up higher, how high I can't say exactly, but the result is a very nice defined double kick sound with all the boom you'd ever need. In fact I blame him for being the reason I like bigger bass drums. One of these days I'll get me a nice 26" or 28". Till then when I have to gig every week the 24" works just fine.
Yeah I run either a PS3 or a SKII on larger kicks. I run the ps3 live for volume and being unmuffled I think bigger kicks tuned tighter won't sound muddy if you mess with them and use the right heads. For recording I opt for the pre-muffled skII for more clarity. I currently have a PS3 on my 24x14 steel kick which is quickly becoming my favorite of 5 kicks I own. I should point out I don't use any drums over 16" depths but I I'd take a 17 over a 20" depth if I had too.

Luis cut the 24 to a 14" depth! less weight, easy to move, shorter stage footprint (hey 2inches on a small stage helps!) and I notice substantially more punch vs even a 16" depth. I like my 24x14 way more than my old tama 24x16.
Old 11-01-2011, 08:00 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilbagua View Post
Luis cut the 24 to a 14" depth! less weight, easy to move, shorter stage footprint (hey 2inches on a small stage helps!) and I notice substantially more punch vs even a 16" depth. I like my 24x14 way more than my old tama 24x16.
You're such an enabler. Know that?

Me: Hmm... Should I get a 26/28" kick drum?
You: Dooooo eeeeet...

Me: Hmm... should I get a 15" snare?
You: Doooooo eeeeet....

Me: Hmm.. Should I cut up my bass drum?
You: JUST DO IT ALREADY!!

Ok, I think we've sufficiently hijacked this thread enough. Be sure to post an update and some pics when you get your new 24" in.

Mah Rogers
Snares
Old 11-02-2011, 06:33 AM

I have to say, I'm so glad I joined the forum. All of your feedback is extremely helpful. I think I'm going to go with the coated Powerstroke 3 at first to get resonance and warmth -- I like a lot of boom. I'll try to give feedback and post some photos once the kick arrives. I considered a 24 x 14" marching bass drum because of the shorter depth, but they're mostly marching drums, and I didn't want to have to hassle with addling legs and removing marching mounting hardware.

P.S. The remainder of the kit is actually drums I made myself -- birch 5 ply Keller shells that I finished on the outside and inside. They sound great, and I can't wait to hear them with the bigger kick.
Old 11-02-2011, 10:09 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
I have to say, I'm so glad I joined the forum. All of your feedback is extremely helpful. I think I'm going to go with the coated Powerstroke 3 at first to get resonance and warmth -- I like a lot of boom. I'll try to give feedback and post some photos once the kick arrives. I considered a 24 x 14" marching bass drum because of the shorter depth, but they're mostly marching drums, and I didn't want to have to hassle with addling legs and removing marching mounting hardware.

P.S. The remainder of the kit is actually drums I made myself -- birch 5 ply Keller shells that I finished on the outside and inside. They sound great, and I can't wait to hear them with the bigger kick.
I wouldn't bother modding a drum that you could easily get a orphaned of on fleebay for pretty cheap.Lots of 1980's 24x14's I'd think could be gotten on the cheap since they aren't as in demand as older drums. If you want 28+ then modding a marcher is a cost effective way to go.

I saw a 24x14 early 80's tama imperialstar kick and 2 concert toms sell for less than100$ on my local craigslist as well. If you want a shallow depth you can always get one of those for cheap and have the option to use the deeper 24x17. You can never have enough bass drums.
Old 11-02-2011, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilbagua View Post
I wouldn't bother modding a drum that you could easily get a orphaned of on fleebay for pretty cheap.Lots of 1980's 24x14's I'd think could be gotten on the cheap since they aren't as in demand as older drums. If you want 28+ then modding a marcher is a cost effective way to go.

I saw a 24x14 early 80's tama imperialstar kick and 2 concert toms sell for less than100$ on my local craigslist as well. If you want a shallow depth you can always get one of those for cheap and have the option to use the deeper 24x17. You can never have enough bass drums.
i used to have a 14 by 24 ludwig epic with sk2s and regulater head with nothing inside,sounded super good, it has a controled boom with just the right amount of punch.try a sk1 for more boom and a sk2 for more punch. good luck.
Old 11-02-2011, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Hi All:

I just joined, but I have read the forum for awhile and am very impressed. I just ordered a Yamaha 24" Stage Custom Birch Bass Drum. It's a first for me because I have been playing 20" maple bass drums for some time now (different brands). On those drums, I have used Remo Powerstroke 3 with ambassador resonants (no muffling) and Aquarian super kick (again no muffling in the shell).

With the 24" Stage Custom Birch, I want a big resonant sound without warble, and I don't want to put muffling (like a blanket or pillow) in the shell. I'm considering the single ply EMAD. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.
sk1 for boom sk2 for punch,kick pad works out well with 24 bass drums.i use a wood better and its good for what i play but for a softer punch go with felt,try a sk1 with a kick pad and tune the drum a little higher than you think you need,good luck.
Old 11-16-2011, 04:26 AM

Okay. I just got the bass drum yesterday. I put a Remo Powerstroke 3 on the batter side and a Remo smooth white ambassador on the resonant side (no hole). At first the resonant side gave to much boing, so I placed two felt strips under the resonant head (old school style). That completely did the trick. I tuned the drum at a medium tension on both sides, and it has no muffling inside. It sounds incredible -- a big warm open boom sound. I suppose if you want a thud, you could muffle the shell with a pillow or blanket, but I think that would kill the lovely tone. I tried a double bass pedal. Despite the lack of muffling, I still get nice articulation and lots of roundness with fast sixteenth notes. Birch seems to do well with focusing the tone.

Thanks everyone for the great suggestions on tuning and heads. It really helped. Now that I'm on the 24" bass drum bandwagon, I'm not sure I'll ever be able to turn back.