DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 05-22-2011, 01:30 AM
Silver Member

Default Singer quit without telling us...

So my band, we've had issues with members.

Main being singers and bassists.
So my band auditioned a singer a few weeks ago, he said he was interested and he was in the band. So I texted him twice in the past week and NO RESPONSE from him what so ever. I told him "Practice is on Saturday" and he didn't show up to that either, go on the internet and see him posting "Singer wanting to join band".

Another thing is bass players and singers we haven't even auditioned not turning up. We've had about 6 people, not even met them say their interested and just don't show up or reply to texts, block me from Facebook etc. etc.

Am I do something wrong? It's not like we're bad people or anything, we go through practice normally and we listen to each other.
But one of the songs our guitarist wanted to do had screaming in it, and I repeatedly told him "No screaming in songs" which may have put him off... I don't know.

But this band isn't going very well at the moment and I'm thinking of just throwing the idea of it away and starting something fresh and new. Like that's going to help either.
There's nobody musically interested in anything around the area and think me and my band are "emo kids" because we like different music from mainstream. Thing is I BARELY listen to anything with screaming in it or even emo genred in the first place.

What should I do?
Old 05-22-2011, 02:25 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Singer quit without telling us...

Maybe the way to go is to practice hard so you can play with more serious people.
Old 05-22-2011, 02:30 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pollyanna View Post
Maybe the way to go is to practice hard so you can play with more serious people.
I guess, we just don't know where to look for a singer now.
Old 05-22-2011, 02:36 AM
Platinum Member

The hardest time of my life to keep a band together was my teens.

It gets better.
Old 05-22-2011, 01:14 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stalwart_Pandora-Chris View Post
I guess, we just don't know where to look for a singer now.
Have you tried http://www.joinmyband.co.uk/ and http://www.bandmix.co.uk/?gclid=CNyw...Fcod4QodJim5TQ

We've got good results from these, especially Join My Band. Even found our soundman there.

As Pocket says, it does get easier, but never easy. Just work out the odds of putting 4/5 people together of different ages/background/gender/genre taste and expect commitment, performance, empathy & a sense of teamsmanship. That's a tough call!
Old 05-22-2011, 08:29 PM

I've been in a few bands and I've been screwed like that a million times - one guy even buggered off to Australia for a year without telling us.

My conclusion nowadays is that I do what I do for my benefit. If that means I'm putting more effort in than everyone else that's my own decision - even though band mates putting effort in is appreciated - ultimately I'm doing it for me, not for them. If they benefit from my effort, hooray for them.

There are no secrets to making bands work, the only thing I can suggest is not writing too much material with a guitarist then expecting a singer and a bassist to come in and learn it. Even if you say that you're 100% open to re-arranging riffs etc, they'll always feel like they're learning your songs and they're not truely part of the band. People generally like to be part of the writing process.
Old 05-22-2011, 08:31 PM
Platinum Member

All sounds pretty normal to me.

Finding good band members is difficult.
Old 05-22-2011, 08:32 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pollyanna View Post
Not bad advice.

If you work on being a better player and a better band, you might attract better players.
Old 05-22-2011, 10:34 PM
Gold Member

The process is never easy. Hang in there and keep at it. Go to jams, music stores, anything where there is music playing and introduce yourself and tell the folks why you are looking and for what. Network. Advertise, advertise, advertise. Hang flyers around. It takes a lot of footwork, but well worth the effort. You are in good company because the Rolling Stones started off this exact same way. Before they forrmally came the Stones, they went through numerous players and jammers until they finally found the rigth combo. ZZ Top did the same thing. They tried out many different bassits - like the bassist of the week almost - until they settled on Dusty Hill. You may find that perfect singer, but for whatever reason, my not gell with the rest of the band. Hang in there and don't get discouraged. Enjoy the learning process because it will only make you a better musician in the long run.
Old 05-22-2011, 10:54 PM
Gold Member

Put your name out there "Drummer Available" with details about you (experiance, goals, style, gear etc) everywhere you can and see who bites.

Sometimes Its much easier to be found than it is to find someone perfect for your band.

Everyone (just like you) is looking for someone good to play with.
Old 05-22-2011, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stalwart_Pandora-Chris View Post
There's nobody musically interested in anything around the area and think me and my band are "emo kids" because we like different music from mainstream. Thing is I BARELY listen to anything with screaming in it or even emo genred in the first place.

What should I do?
Where in the U.K. are you mate?

Trying to keep a band going is tough, my current band has been going for a couple of years and myself and the founding member are the only two still in the band. There have been times when we could of just quit but that's the mistake most and make, the line-up you start with will rarley be the one you have success or longevity with.

If you truley believe in the music and songs you're doing then carry on regardless of what happens. It's all a case of making the music bigger than you; the band memebers should be incosequential to the music, if people love the songs but don't notice the people making it, then that's not always a bad thing. I know for fact that people don't turn up for our gigs to see "us" play, they come to hear the songs.

Keep at it mate,

Kev
Old 05-23-2011, 12:35 AM
mediocrefunkybeat

As long as nobody perishes in a bizarre gardening accident, it's all good.
Old 05-23-2011, 01:00 AM
Platinum Member

My current band had six members in in 2007, and all but the founding member and principle songwriter have since left and been replaced, with the exception of the singer, a replacement for whom has not yet been found. That's the way it goes though, you've got to have the right people.
Old 05-23-2011, 02:35 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.Howden View Post
Where in the U.K. are you mate?

Trying to keep a band going is tough, my current band has been going for a couple of years and myself and the founding member are the only two still in the band. There have been times when we could of just quit but that's the mistake most and make, the line-up you start with will rarley be the one you have success or longevity with.

If you truley believe in the music and songs you're doing then carry on regardless of what happens. It's all a case of making the music bigger than you; the band memebers should be incosequential to the music, if people love the songs but don't notice the people making it, then that's not always a bad thing. I know for fact that people don't turn up for our gigs to see "us" play, they come to hear the songs.

Keep at it mate,

Kev
Yeah, I've been searchingg Joinmyband, music stores etc. etc.
Found nothing so far :/ posted ads too.
Glasgow in Scotland. I'm in another band, but that bands on a kind of break, mini-hiatus.

And I'm trying to start a Foo Fighters cover band and I've got 7 people interested for guitar.
It's always guitarists you find. Never bassists or singers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PQleyR View Post
My current band had six members in in 2007, and all but the founding member and principle songwriter have since left and been replaced, with the exception of the singer, a replacement for whom has not yet been found. That's the way it goes though, you've got to have the right people.
We're looking for the right and reliable people. Me and the lead guitarist do the most work, the rhythm guitarist does some and our bassist only joined like three weeks ago. But he's a cool guy! And I know him from school :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mediocrefunkybeat View Post
Woah. What happened man?
Old 05-23-2011, 02:38 AM
mediocrefunkybeat

You need to see 'This is Spinal Tap'. Then you may understand, grasshopper.
Old 05-24-2011, 12:04 AM
Platinum Member

How many bands do you know that still have the original members,and are not killing one another?It just the nature of the beast.Tough it out..or maybe its time to go in a different direction.

It also could be a time for introspection.Examine your own social as well as musical skills as honestly as possible.There's always something to learn.

Steve B
Old 05-24-2011, 12:52 AM
Pioneer Member

Back in the day we were playing a club gig. When we showed up to play that night the keyboards were gone along with the keyboard player who also sang lead.

We winged it and got through the night. For the next two weeks we called everyone we knew to come and sit in. In the end we worked it out, and actually had a good time playing with a number of our friends and friends of friends.

This is really pretty common. A lot of musicians are total flakes.

We did talk to our ex keyboard player a few weeks later and even went to see his new band. It was called the Joey Rameriz Review. The had a great piano player who also sang lead. His name was Michael McDonald.
Old 05-24-2011, 01:15 AM
Platinum Member

If you are writing songs, can you write songs that one of you can sing? Then you will not have to put up with a singer. I have been in many bands and have only had one singer who did not play an instrument. He was one of my best friends, so he was easy to deal with and trustworthy. Peace and goodwill.
Old 05-24-2011, 06:33 PM
Silver Member

Thanks guys!
Our friend at a local place where my band usually gig helped us. We've got 2 singers to interview, this should be good!

We're going to try our best to get along with him etc. etc. and send him demo's this weekend.
Old 05-24-2011, 09:53 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mediocrefunkybeat View Post
Or chokes on vomit... someone else's vomit... you see, you can't really dust for vomit.
Old 05-24-2011, 09:56 PM
Silver Member

Glad that it's looking like it's gonna work out!

I only scuttle projects if they are going NOWHERE. If you like playing with the guys what is the point is disbanding? Keep it up and keep looking. Maybe ratchet back a touch on the frequency of rehearsals if those are getting stale, but if it's good don't kill it.
Old 05-24-2011, 10:23 PM
mediocrefunkybeat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
Or chokes on vomit... someone else's vomit... you see, you can't really dust for vomit.
Or leaving a small, green globule on their drum stool.
Old 05-25-2011, 04:29 PM
Silver Member

UPDATE :
A friend of mine found a post on Joinmyband and the ex-singer emailed saying he was interested to join.
I also found out he has a reputation for joining and quitting bands pretty quickly, so it should've been expected.
Old 05-25-2011, 08:33 PM
Platinum Member

They have medication for that now.Some of these guys think the're the second coming of Jim Morrison.

Steve B