DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 03-02-2011, 06:35 PM

Default Why do Mapex do this?

I'll set the scene: I live in the South East of England and I want to try a few of the Mapex Black Panther snares and my 3 local drum shops are all due for Black Panther deliveries...

The 1st shop are expecting two deliveries, both of which are a few weeks late and they say Mapex don't tell them what's coming in which delivery.
The 2nd tells me they're expecting a delivery in the "beginning of March" but say they don't have a date and it could be in the next couple weeks.
The 3rd tells me some stock could be in by Monday.

Why are Mapex so slack? Their vagueness can't benefit them, shops can't sell their products if they don't deliver them!
Old 03-02-2011, 07:20 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Why do Mapex do this?

If the shops didn't all place their orders at the same time, they're not doing to get deliveries at the same time.

Also, like all drums made over seas, they are being shipped by boat.

Those big freight ships are not quite an exact science when traveling around the world.
Bad storms at sea can delay the boat. To get to England, I assume the ships travel through the horn of Africa, through the Suez canal, and across the Mediterranean Sea
Which means the ship is navigating through the instability of that part of the world.

It has nothing to do with Mapex per se.
Old 03-02-2011, 07:39 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goreliscious View Post
I'll set the scene: I live in the South East of England and I want to try a few of the Mapex Black Panther snares and my 3 local drum shops are all due for Black Panther deliveries...

The 1st shop are expecting two deliveries, both of which are a few weeks late and they say Mapex don't tell them what's coming in which delivery.
The 2nd tells me they're expecting a delivery in the "beginning of March" but say they don't have a date and it could be in the next couple weeks.
The 3rd tells me some stock could be in by Monday.

Why are Mapex so slack? Their vagueness can't benefit them, shops can't sell their products if they don't deliver them!
Do you have any idea how much they probably ship on any given day? Your being unrealistic and who said they didn't deliver? They just are not delivering when you want them to
Old 03-02-2011, 07:50 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumEatDrum View Post
If the shops didn't all place their orders at the same time, they're not doing to get deliveries at the same time.

Also, like all drums made over seas, they are being shipped by boat.

Those big freight ships are not quite an exact science when traveling around the world.
Bad storms at sea can delay the boat. To get to England, I assume the ships travel through the horn of Africa, through the Suez canal, and across the Mediterranean Sea
Which means the ship is navigating through the instability of that part of the world.

It has nothing to do with Mapex per se.
Very well put, my company (the company I work for) deals A LOT with shipping to and from China and Japan. It takes a tanker about three months to get hear, and that's in good weather.
Old 03-02-2011, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumEatDrum View Post
I wasn't suggesting that all three shops made their orders at the same time, I did however suggest they were roughly expecting them at the same time, but my point was no one knew when their deliveries were arriving.

I will admit I'm like a kid waiting for Christmas day, though without naming names, a couple of the shops have expressed their frustration with Mapex so I don't think I'm being too unfair. Also, I work for a company/shop that imports musical instruments, (and fair trade instruments at that from small suppliers one hundreth the size of Mapex), from Bali and Mexico - we don't have the same problems. I will concede though that the situation in Africa might not have helped - even though we recieved our Bali containers the other day.
Old 03-02-2011, 08:45 PM
Gold Member

I was in retail for 18 years and if there are problems with deliveries the reason can generally be traced back to the distibutor. Mapex don't deliver to the stores the licenced distibutor does and if they don't have the stock it is not the stores fault. Trust me, Mapex or any other manufacturer want to sell their goods but it is up to the distibutor to order the product.
They won't order large numbers of product and pay for them unless they feel their retailers will buy them so it is a bit of a dance. I know the frustration when you want something, have the money and can not complete the transaction. Maybe ordering on line will solve the problem.

Good luck.
Old 03-02-2011, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce M. Thomson View Post
it is up to the distibutor to order the product
Fair point. I suppose my frame of reference is from a company that sources, imports and sells whereas there's a few more links in the chain here. It might also have something to with the time of year in the UK, (recent VAT increases and approaching the new financial year in April), but it still strikes me that someone's dropped the ball as every drum shop in my region is out of stock of the same drums. It would seem there is not enough stock with Mapex/the distrubutor in England otherwise arrival times of a few weeks wouldn't be quoted.
Old 03-04-2011, 03:42 AM

Having worked for Mapex USA several years ago, I can vouch that what was posted above is pretty accurate. It's impossible in the first place to predict exactly when the boat will arrive to shore. Then you have to deal with stuff (usually in what they call a container which is basically an 18 wheeler trailer) has to sit at customs until all logistics get ironed out. Which could take 24 hours or 2 weeks.

Factor all that in with Mapex having to wait to receive the container from customs, unload it, check it into their warehouse inventory, identify what's for stock and what's already backordered and promised to dealers, sort that and ship it to dealers (sometimes cross country) and well.....you get the point.