DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 06-28-2010, 07:46 AM
Gold Member

Default Re: to click or not to click

Quote:
Originally Posted by euphoric_anomaly View Post
Fox,

I find it easier to "feel" the beat subconsciously, or hum along to it. I've been quite distracted by a click. The only time I used a click was when I was practicing odd times and I needed to know exactly where the "one" was. Other than that, the click does nothing but distract me. But to each their own, of course.

No, no, but Gavin *plays* to a click on most songs. It's got the advantage of keeping the tempo perfectly, and it might also help on playing some intricate stuff more subdivided and keeping it perfectly in time. What I am asking is why the click isn't running on the other band members when there are drums, given the rhythmically challenging stuff Gavin plays.
And as for your approach, what does "feel the beat subconsciously" mean? Or hum along to it? Does that mean you're keeping time by yourself and not actually keeping the beat with the fill? In that case, it might get you close, but if you can't keep the beat to the *actual* fill, you won't be 100% precise.

Fox.

Last edited by Fox622003; 06-28-2010 at 09:07 AM.
Old 06-28-2010, 09:51 AM

Default Re: to click or not to click

Fox,

What I meant by feeling the beat was knowing what comes next in the song (probably because you've practiced it 600 times). When I "feel" the beat, I don't have to count in my head, or use a click to keep time, it just flows. You are correct, I sometimes lose the tempo during a fill ( might play it too fast etc). I can see your side, and hopefully now you can see mine. :)

Eric
Old 06-28-2010, 01:18 PM

Default Re: Gavin Harrison here!

hi gavin how're u?
i'm very sad, it's a dark moment for me, and i'm taking some serious decisions for my future.
i', 26 years old and i've realized that is impossible for me to live as a musician.
I haven't the experience, and the basics for this.Howewer, only a few here in Italy can have that kind of life.
So i decided, for the next 2\3 years, to focus myself on the career building, and spend my energy in develop my skills in my work (shoes design for woman).
As a consequence, i gotta keep distractions far away and, probably i'll sell my drumset and many others things (as playstation, comics, and other things) to keep my mind focused on my real objectives.
Probably one day i'll catch sticks in hands again, but for now, i gotta say goodbye to this passion, for myself.(but i'll continue to train myself on pad ^_^)
do you have never feel something like this in your youth?
do you think that i'm doing the wrong thing?

cheers from Italy
Riccardo
ps:i'll continue to read your posts here, can i? =)
Old 06-28-2010, 04:15 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi anders_slåke

What kind of shell material and what kind of shell type does your drums consists of?

My European set is Maple
toms are "thin" shell
floor toms are "medium" shell
bass drum is "heavy" shell

Hi euphoric_anomaly

Have you ever considered or played with the idea of placing another floor tom to the left of your hi-hat? Do you think that would increase the number of musical "shapes" you could accomplish?

I have experimented with it from time to time - and some interesting shapes can appear from it.

Take the intro to Unsettled for example, would having the other floor tom throw off the natural flow of the beat, or would it make it any easier?

In the case of that intro I think I would find it more difficult if I had to split my hands and try to play a floor tom off to the left of the hi hat. I've used the same configuration of drum set up for the last 25 years so I'm very comfortable with the way everything is laid out - and quite often I voice things without thinking too much about them. My hands just know where to go.

Hi pixelbreaker

The first time I saw you guys was back in April at the Riviera in Chicago. I remember standing in the wrong line, it was the "fan club only" line. I also mentioned earlier that I was going to be at the Nashville show on the 22nd of August, and this time I would like to join the fan club... how can I do that?

That is a thing called "Residents Of a Blank Planet" ROABP - and I don't know if we are still running that program. Have a dig around the burningshed.com website.

Hi adityasonakia

Do you use any Drum Notation Software? Could you tell me which one do you use?

I don't really use any notation software. I can mess around with the stuff on "Logic 9".

Hi Fox622003

Alright, a couple of posts ago you wrote that there's no click going on for your band members while you're playing. What advantage do you see to this?

Generally they don't want to hear a click and a drummer - they prefer to play to one or the other. There are a couple of exceptions where one band member wanted a click - like during the rhythm to "Bonnie The Cat" for instance.

Wouldn't you have more freedom if they had the click running?

Yes if I was really going to lay some very complex rhythmic illusion on them - but I don't.

Hi ItalianRicky

So i decided, for the next 2\3 years, to focus myself on the career building, and spend my energy in develop my skills in my work (shoes design for woman).
Probably one day i'll catch sticks in hands again, but for now, i gotta say goodbye to this passion, for myself.(but i'll continue to train myself on pad ^_^)

I didn't feel like that in my youth - and there were more opportunities back then to get employment as a musician. Trying to make a living out of music these days is a miracle. A large majority of people don't buy CDs anymore (they just download them for free) - and the 'online' sales are mostly very low.
http://flowingdata.com/2010/06/04/ho...s-earn-online/
Playing live is one of the few areas you*could* make money - if you are in a popular band. But even then it's full of expenses that could sink you. We are quite often asked "please come to ******(insert your home town here)*****" but the practicalities are just too expensive. We got offered some dates in South America but the flights and freight alone added up to a LOT more than the fee. And that's without paying the crew/agent or leaving any profit for the band.
So I don't think you are necessarily doing the wrong thing.

cheers
Gavin
Old 06-28-2010, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin Harrison View Post
Hi ItalianRicky

I didn't feel like that in my youth - and there were more opportunities back then to get employment as a musician. Trying to make a living out of music these days is a miracle. A large majority of people don't buy CDs anymore (they just download them for free) - and the 'online' sales are mostly very low.
Playing live is one of the few areas you*could* make money - if you are in a popular band. But even then it's full of expenses that could sink you. We are quite often asked "please come to ******(insert your home town here)*****" but the practicalities are just too expensive. We got offered some dates in South America but the flights and freight alone added up to a LOT more than the fee. And that's without paying the crew/agent or leaving any profit for the band.
So I don't think you are necessarily doing the wrong thing.

cheers
Gavin
That's not exactly encouraging for another 26 years old that would like to live as a musician :). Still, I think the world of music is huge and I don't think we should throw everything away because it's difficult.

Maybe we won't become the next Gavin or play in a professional band, but there are other things out there related to music. I'm a software developer, so I could mix the two things and develop some new revolutionary music software. Or I could be a composer for videogames tracks. And so on..

In the mean time we can try as hard as possible to find work as drummers and hope to be lucky. But luck won't come if you don't work for it. It's like wishing to win the lottery without buying the ticket.

Take Benny Greb. He's not much older than us (30), and yet he's doing great and getting recognized and appreciated every day more!

You have to believe in something for it to happen, I think.
Old 06-28-2010, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolonx View Post
That's not exactly encouraging for another 26 years old that would like to live as a musician :). Still, I think the world of music is huge and I don't think we should throw everything away because it's difficult.

Maybe we won't become the next Gavin or play in a professional band, but there are other things out there related to music. I'm a software developer, so I could mix the two things and develop some new revolutionary music software. Or I could be a composer for videogames tracks. And so on..

In the mean time we can try as hard as possible to find work as drummers and hope to be lucky. But luck won't come if you don't work for it. It's like wishing to win the lottery without buying the ticket.

Take Benny Greb. He's not much older than us (30), and yet he's doing great and getting recognized and appreciated every day more!

thanks nolonx, but i can say that gavin tell me exactly what i thought in those days.
and i don't want fake hopes.
i cannot live with music.
i can gain something..but actually, by 7 year my balance is in a continuos loss of money.
drums are an really expensive instrument, and if not for the buying moment, for keep it at maximum sound.skins, cymbal, sticks...we're not all endorser!and for someone that gainb 1000\1300 euro at month, can be a sacrifice.And one day?you'll find an obstacle, that requires money..i dunno...buy a car?buy an house?find a girlfriend and create a family?all those things requires time and MONEY.it's only a question of priorities.
and i haven't told that i wanna stop forever...when the situation can be faced with a good finance situation, i probably come back to sit behind drums.an sq2 drumset i suppose...and golden madrone, absolutely!
thank you gavin, you're a very good person.Every time that i read your answers, i wish to become a mature man as you, if i cannot become an amazing drummer.This is the first motivation that make me continue to stay in this forum, and overall, on this thread.

thank you.
Riccardo
Old 06-29-2010, 03:04 AM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Gavin Harrison is an excellent drummer. I really dig his over riding stuff. I have stolen that concept from him and it has really smoothed out some of my odd time stuff. I know Vinnie did a lot of it but Gavin explained it great.
Old 06-29-2010, 01:17 PM

Quote:
But luck won't come if you don't work for it. It's like wishing to win the lottery without buying the ticket.

Well I agree with you. But I agree with Gavin the most, times are changed and its difficult to make a good living out of being a professional musician.

Its a sad but a harsh truth, it's very difficult to keep up and make a good living out of music. Take a guy like Vinnie Colaiuta. He is playing on records by (and I'm not kidding) The pussycat dolls, Lindsay Lohan, Anastacia, Destiny's Child, backstreet boys, Hillary Duff, Christina Aguilera,Enrique Iglesias. Now regardless if you like the music or not, it contrasts against the things he does with Alan Holdsworth, Chick Corea, Frank Zappa and Mike Stern. And of course, he rather likes to play with Zappa then with Hillary Duff (musically speaking…) but he has to make a living, support a family and pay the bills…

I understand ItalianRicky and his thoughts are exactly why Im not in the music business, or even attempting to be doing that. Even if we are as talented and as good as Gavin, it still doesn't guarantee a steady income… No matter how hard you work for it… It's a very uncertain industry. One year you are one of the most demanded session players, the next year you get just one phonecall. Difficult to keep up with that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin Harrison View Post
Trying to make a living out of music these days is a miracle. A large majority of people don't buy CDs anymore (they just download them for free) - and the 'online' sales are mostly very low.

cheers
Gavin
Yes totally agree with that. I think that a band like Porcupine Tree is "lucky" to still sell their music. I'm sure a lot of people download it but there is still a "loyal" fanbase that buys everything you guys put out. Anesthetise is sold out at amazon, the special editions where sold out pretty quick, the incident and fear of a blank planet sold pretty well I believe.
However, I totally agree that sales are going down and that it affects the smaller bands the most.
I remember when I was a "kid" (at primary school). Albums went gold and platina very quick. Take the singles from the Spice Girls or the Backstreet Boys (that was fashionable when I was in primary school). I bought every single of the Spice Girls and the albums they brought out (yes I admit). That stuff went multiple platina in a matter of time! The number one in the hit-charts usually earned that status pretty quick (and I believe platina meant 150.000 sold).
Nowadays, its a miracle to get "gold" status. I can't remember the last time I saw a song go platina, let alone multiple platina. Times have changed…

Last edited by SantiBanks; 06-29-2010 at 01:41 PM.
Old 06-29-2010, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SantiBanks View Post
I understand ItalianRicky and his thoughts are exactly why Im not in the music business, or even attempting to be doing that.
I can understand ItalianRicky. After all he tried for 7 years before giving up. But not trying at all doesn't make sense for me (IF music/drumming is what you really would like to do for a living of course).

There are still a lot of bands out there, as far as I can see. Some of them succeed, other fail and disappear and I think it's quite normal. Following your thoughts we shouldn't see any new band/artist coming out.
I'll repeat myself, if you don't even try, you'll surely won't have a chance to make your dream come true.

I respect your opinion and your choice of course, I don't want to sound trollish and start a flame war. :)

Quote:
Times have changed…
Then, maybe, we need to change with them.
Old 06-29-2010, 03:26 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
And of course, he rather likes to play with Zappa then with Hillary Duff (musically speaking…) but he has to make a living, support a family and pay the bills…
How do you know?
I'd say variety is a valuable thing in a musician's life. I personally like to be involved in completely different projects and things.
Old 06-29-2010, 03:46 PM

Default German Show in october

Hi Gavin,

I don't know of this has been asked already. There are now 4 shows scheduled for PT in october, and I (and a lot of other people) wonder, if there is something special with these shows. Some are expecting an acoustic set, don't now where these rumors come from. Can you tell us, what we can expect then? Or is it that special, that it has to be kept secret?

Thanks

Andy
Old 06-29-2010, 04:12 PM

Default Gavin Harrison here!

Hi
Dear Gavin

I am very glad to see you on facebook…
I have downloaded some parts of your new DVD (Rhythmic Design), you have cistern (tank of water) behind your kit in front of your bass drum. Did you use it for recording sound of your bass drum as effect or other things …
Would please explanation about it?

Thanks a lot
Ramtin HajatDoost
Tehran – Iran
(Sorry for my bad English)
Old 06-29-2010, 09:18 PM

Quote:
But not trying at all doesn't make sense for me (IF music/drumming is what you really would like to do for a living of course).
There are still a lot of bands out there, as far as I can see. Some of them succeed, other fail and disappear and I think it's quite normal. Following your thoughts we shouldn't see any new band/artist coming out.
I'll repeat myself, if you don't even try, you'll surely won't have a chance to make your dream come true.
I respect your opinion and your choice of course, I don't want to sound trollish and start a flame war. :)
Then, maybe, we need to change with them.
I don't want to go more in detail about this (as that is not the aim of this topic, maybe it's a good idea to have a moderator copy this to a different topic and discussing making a living out of music, as far as that hasn't been discussed here already) but I agree that you should at least have tried it. However, I also think that one should get some sense of realism about it and be very honest to oneself. Some people have high expectations of making fast money in music. That's simply not true :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swiss Matthias View Post
How do you know?
I'd say variety is a valuable thing in a musician's life. I personally like to be involved in completely different projects and things.
I agree with that, I like variety too. I see everything as experience, and something that adds to the whole of your style. But I have read that in an interview with him. Hah and if you know Vinnie, you might know what his attitude and behaviour can be sometimes ;)
Old 06-30-2010, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Some people have high expectations of making fast money in music. That's simply not true :)
Never said that. In my case in fact I know I cannot leave my day job today and start living with music alone. That's not possible. My plan is to continue to search for opportunities while I get better with drums and music. If in the future I'll be able to take advantage of some big opportunity and make the definitive switch, perfect. If not then I'll probably be happy anyway because of the time spent on a great hobby ;)

Yes we should stop here and go back in topic now.
Old 07-01-2010, 01:32 PM

I tried to make live from drums. i played every night on pubs. tried with my band. sometimes we get some good payd shows. but not all the time. i had dificult times because of money.
right nowidon´t give up of living from music. i think that could be possible. from drums only i think it is almost impossible....
Old 07-02-2010, 12:20 AM

Gavin,

Does it ever bore you guys to play the same songs night after night? I can imagine playing "Futile" for the 400th time get's boring.

On another note, I recently had access to a 7 piece Tama drumset, I attempted (that's the keyword) the intro to Unsettled. I didn't have a double pedal, so your substitutions were difficult to pull off, would it be possible to play that intro without a double pedal?

Next up: Bonnie the Cat -- just to practice my ghost notes :)

Thanks

Eric
Old 07-02-2010, 08:46 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by euphoric_anomaly View Post
I didn't have a double pedal, so your substitutions were difficult to pull off, would it be possible to play that intro without a double pedal?
I did it, but not the original tempo. Of course it is possible, why not:)? One just has to be able to pull it off.
Old 07-02-2010, 10:33 AM

[quote=euphoric_anomaly;718572]
Does it ever bore you guys to play the same songs night after night? I can imagine playing "Futile" for the 400th time get's boring.
QUOTE]

If I would be getting bored with playing some song over and over again, I think I would make some changes to drum parts and explore new things, make the song not boring for me.
Old 07-03-2010, 12:10 AM

Gavin -

Finally got my first peak at the Anesthetize DVD. Fantastic performance, photography, production, mixing. Wouldn't expect any less from you guys. It brings back a lot of really great memories from the Houston date of the same tour that I caught.

You guys must have blown up over night cause I have been trying to get my copy since the day it came out but every music store (local and chain), Amazon, Bestbuy.com, and every other site I tried has been perpetually back ordered since the release date.

So congrats on the success; it's been well earned.
Old 07-03-2010, 04:57 AM

Gavin, 2 Years ago I won Steve Smiths Signature drum set through a modern drummer contest and they came already pre-tuned so i touched them up and kept the sound they came with. I was looking to try a new sound and was wondering two things, What was your thinking behind the decision on the coated Remo drum heads you have and how do you go about tuning them?

Cheers!
Old 07-03-2010, 12:42 PM

Hi Gavin,

A small question about the hi-hat sound on "Aim" (from Sanity & Gravity). Which hi-hat are you using? It sounds more hi-pitched and more splashy to me.

Cheers and enjoy the nice summer weather!
Santi
Old 07-03-2010, 01:44 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi astroandy

I don't know of this has been asked already. There are now 4 shows scheduled for PT in october, and I (and a lot of other people) wonder, if there is something special with these shows. Some are expecting an acoustic set, don't now where these rumors come from. Can you tell us, what we can expect then? Or is it that special, that it has to be kept secret?

I can't tell you what we might play - sorry.

Hi Ramtin HajatDoust

I have downloaded some parts of your new DVD (Rhythmic Design), you have cistern (tank of water) behind your kit in front of your bass drum. Did you use it for recording sound of your bass drum as effect or other things …
Would please explanation about it?

Where have you downloaded it from? If you have the whole thing - there's a section on there where I explain about the water bottle.

Hi euphoric_anomaly

I try to very subtly change little things and try to make it not boring.

On another note, I recently had access to a 7 piece Tama drumset, I attempted (that's the keyword) the intro to Unsettled. I didn't have a double pedal, so your substitutions were difficult to pull off, would it be possible to play that intro without a double pedal?

Absolutely!

Hi Deathtoll

2 Years ago I won Steve Smiths Signature drum set through a modern drummer contest and they came already pre-tuned so i touched them up and kept the sound they came with. I was looking to try a new sound and was wondering two things, What was your thinking behind the decision on the coated Remo drum heads you have and how do you go about tuning them?

I prefer the sound of coated heads - they feel warmer to me. I got tired of the 'plastic attack' that you can get from clear heads. You should check my DVD Rhythmic Designs - I have a section on there about tuning.

Hi SantiBanks

A small question about the hi-hat sound on "Aim" (from Sanity & Gravity). Which hi-hat are you using? It sounds more hi-pitched and more splashy to me.

They are two 8" splash cymbals.

cheers
Gavin
Old 07-03-2010, 11:16 PM

HI
Dear Gavin

I have downloaded them from your page in Drummerworld.com ...some trailer about your Rhythmic Designs DVD...
Is it possible for you to explain about the water bottle? your DVD and other Products of Hudson Music and other companies does not exist here at all...

Thanks a lot,

Best Regards,
Ramtin HajatDoost
Tehran - Iran
Old 07-04-2010, 04:59 AM

Gavin,

Near the ending of your "Slippin Away" video from PASIC you do some interesting doubles between the hi-hat and snare. Is that the same trick you used in the intro/verse section of Break? Is that what you call "inverted doubles"?

Eric
Old 07-04-2010, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramtin HajatDoust View Post
HI
Dear Gavin

I have downloaded them from your page in Drummerworld.com ...some trailer about your Rhythmic Designs DVD...
Is it possible for you to explain about the water bottle? your DVD and other Products of Hudson Music and other companies does not exist here at all...

Thanks a lot,

Best Regards,
Ramtin HajatDoost
Tehran - Iran
There has been some explanation about it already in this topic. But I'll summarize it for you.

The water bottle is (of course) empty and placed in front of the kickdrum. There is a small lavalier microphone in it (lavalier mics are those clip on mics you see a lot on television etc. ). Whenever the kickdrum is hit by the batter, the air in the bottle vibrates and gives a low sound. The microphone that hangs in it records this. It is then mixed with the other kickdrum microphones.

The idea is that this bottle gives more low-end to the sound of the kickdrum. The bass punch. Combined with the other mics, it makes up for a very punchy, clear but harmonically rich kickdrum sound.
Old 07-04-2010, 11:32 PM

Hi Gavin,

Thank you for the wonderful performance saturday at Rock Werchter (Belgium). It looks like you're drumming into another dimension ... every fill, accent, groove was just perfect !!

Actually every bandmember is amazing. There's sush a chemistry in the air.

Are you on tour in Europe with PT ?

Greetings from the small country ;) !
Old 07-04-2010, 11:47 PM
Silver Member

Hi Gavin,

a few days ago I've been in the Studio to record drums for a friend.

I used my Zildjian K 20" Ride.
It sounds wonderful, but when I hit the ride-bell it was so loud on the record, you can't imagine. Also when i tried to hit it very light -> same problem.
Finally, we put some tape under the bell....
On the final recording, we also EQ'ed the high frequencies from the ride-mic a bit down.

Do you have the same problems with your ride cymbals? If so, how do you solve these problems?

Thanks very much
David
Old 07-05-2010, 03:23 AM

Hi Gavin!!!

I‘m listening the Porcupine tree record in Atlanta. I really like your drumset sound. I made the download at burningshed.

When I compare the sound of your drums on this record with the sound of the Porcupine tree on "Arriving somewhere" DVD, it‘s a little bit different.

In "Arriving somewhere" you used a Sonor Delite drumset, what is your drumset on PT Atlanta record?

Is it a SQ2? If yes, you used your golden madrone or tribal finish?

The SQ2 shell configuration of your american and euro drumset are the same?

Thanks for your suport Gavin, I really like the way that you play the drums and you give me a great inspiration.

Marcos (from Brazil)
Old 07-05-2010, 04:33 AM

Gavin,
I have enjoyed the Rhythmic Visions/Horizons DVD's and the Rhythmic Designs
DVD. Your rhythmic creativity with P.T. and 05Ric is awesome(Bonnie the cat,& Unsettled
are my favs.). I read a qoute from an interview that you and Ric mainly traded files back and forth,in your seperate studios and were never in the room.Besides being miles apart,
did you guys have any transfer issues between D.A.W.s? I've been attempting to do the same with a fellow drummer /percussionist on the opposite side of the state with little
avail.I am curious at how you went about this,and if any issues caused problems.
any advise/input is welcome. I also read in Drummer that after the P.T. tour and alittle time
off you mentioned doing something different.Any hints to what that is?

Thanks for all the incredible drumming,
Russ
Old 07-06-2010, 01:30 PM

Hi Gavin,

A few days ago I read an article about your recording equipment on the internet. It was mentioned that you use the Apogee Rosetta 800. Now I would like to ask you how do you get such an amazing drum sound on the PT records with only 8 channels in Logic? Because I read that you are using a wide range of microphones (at least more than 8). Do you mix some parts (f.e. the Overheads and ambient microphones) and group it to one channel?

Best regards,
Tobi
Old 07-06-2010, 02:40 PM

Hi Gavin!

I've just listened to the "new" (2004) version of Porcupine Tree's "Up The Dowstairs" where you recorded new drums tracks to replace the beatbox. Congratulations! The album was always one of my favourite, but I never liked the rythms, that is till you put yours!

I have 3 questions about your performance:
- How did you do that? Just playing along the record?
- Did you get inspirations from the old rythms?
- Did you get instructions from Steven Wilson about the way of playing drums?

Thanks in advance to take the time for a short answer, it will be appreciated... :)

Cheers
Jerome
Old 07-07-2010, 12:05 AM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi Ramtin HajatDoust

Is it possible for you to explain about the water bottle?

SantiBanks answers it perfectly.

Hi euphoric_anomaly

Near the ending of your "Slippin Away" video from PASIC you do some interesting doubles between the hi-hat and snare. Is that the same trick you used in the intro/verse section of Break? Is that what you call "inverted doubles"?

No it's something different. There are two notes with the right hand (on the hi hat) and two with the left hand (on the snare drum) plus a left foot pedal in there too.

Hi Clone285051

Are you on tour in Europe with PT ?

Not really. We're just playing a few festivals and some occasional shows of our own.

Hi Kalma

I used my Zildjian K 20" Ride.
It sounds wonderful, but when I hit the ride-bell it was so loud on the record, you can't imagine.Do you have the same problems with your ride cymbals? If so, how do you solve these problems?

Some of those 20" K Rides can have quite loud bells. That's why I like it in a live situation - it really cuts through the loud sections of music. Yes in a studio it can be quite pronounced - I don't generally need a mic on it in a studio - I just let it come through the overheads. I have a lot of different rides I use in a studio session - I usually pick the one that sounds right for the track and has the right balance for the kind of music I might be playing to.

Hi Rítmico

I‘m listening the Porcupine tree record in Atlanta. I really like your drumset sound. I made the download at burningshed. When I compare the sound of your drums on this record with the sound of the Porcupine tree on "Arriving somewhere" DVD, it‘s a little bit different.In "Arriving somewhere" you used a Sonor Delite drumset, what is your drumset on PT Atlanta record?

I think it's the SQ2 Madrone set.

The SQ2 shell configuration of your american and euro drumset are the same?

No the American one is Vintage shell (like DeLight) and the Euro one is "thin" for the rack toms - "medium" for the floor toms - and "heavy" for the bass drum.

Hi Russ Morse

I read a qoute from an interview that you and Ric mainly traded files back and forth,in your seperate studios and were never in the room.Besides being miles apart,
did you guys have any transfer issues between D.A.W.s?

Generally we send files that are AAC .m4a so that the file size is quite small. MP3 has a problem - they add a small gap at the start of the file which completely messes up the timing when you drop them into your DAW program. The AAC doesn't have that problem and actually sound better too.

Hi tobiashula

A few days ago I read an article about your recording equipment on the internet. It was mentioned that you use the Apogee Rosetta 800.

I have two of them for 16 channels of input.

Hi madsurfer

I've just listened to the "new" (2004) version of Porcupine Tree's "Up The Dowstairs"
I have 3 questions about your performance:
- How did you do that? Just playing along the record?

Yes

- Did you get inspirations from the old rythms?

the old rhythms we're just loops - so I tried to play something similar to them.

- Did you get instructions from Steven Wilson about the way of playing drums?

no.

cheers
Gavin
Old 07-07-2010, 03:53 AM

I never tire of watching and listening to you play Gavin. Thanks for the inspiration, even though I haven't truly played in many, many years.
Old 07-07-2010, 09:08 AM

Thanks a lot dear Gavin & SantiBanks

Wow that's great ...I will check it ...I used to 16"x4" tom (with one head and Audix i5 microphone) in front of my kick for add effect to my kick and it gave me the mid range of my kick's sound with long sustain ....

Thank you & Best Regards,
Ramtin HajatDoost
Tehran - Iran
Old 07-07-2010, 12:29 PM

Gavin,

Now we are on the subject of the "waterbottle". How long have you been using this trick? For some reason the kick sound on the Nil Recurring EP seems fatter and deeper (according to my subwoofer) then on Fear of a blank planet. Is this perhaps a result of mixing? (I have the FOABP dvd-a with the nil recurring tracks as bonus material in 5.1 surround.)

Also, I just got my copy of the Chick Corea Elektric Band @ montreux 2004. Weckl is using this device on his snare drum:
http://www.remo.com/portal/products/...nare_damp.html
Have you tried it and what are your thoughts on it? It seems to give him a more punchy and tighter snare sound.

Santi

@Ramtin HajatDoust:
In case you are having "trouble" with the longer sustain that comes from your technique, (interesting btw!) then you can cut out the longer sustain by using a gate effect. But of course, longer sustain is a matter of taste.
Old 07-08-2010, 06:28 AM

Hey Gavin again. I'm really sorry this is off topic, but its a question about your show in Radio City Music Hall, New York. Do you guys permit photography? I would absolutely love to take photographs of you guys with my SLR, but I don't want it to get confiscated because it's expensive. Thanks!
Old 07-08-2010, 06:09 PM

Hi Gavin,

I have a couple of questions for you

1. Could you tell us the way (path) the sound makes from your mics to your computer?
example: drums --> mics --> mixer --> apogee rosetta 800 (x2) --> computer...

I hope that you'll understand my question (I have to work a bit on my english!)

2. In a previous post, you said that sometime you don't mic your K ride because it's quite loud. But in some videos of you I saw that your ride was miced. Or maybe it is just the overhead? Can you tell us what mic it is?

3. I've just received my Anesthetize DVD and it's mind blowing! Could you tell us what crash setup did you use? It's seems to be 3 A's... 19'' 15'' 18'' maybe? Are they standard A's or A Projection crash or other?...

Thanks for your time for answering all those questions
and thanks for inspiring us and sharing your passion with us!

Take care

Will Régnier
Old 07-09-2010, 12:44 AM

Hey Gavin,

I just had a few questions about your snare.

In all the videos from your DVD I've watched, Every single time, it's your snare's perfect pop that always stands out for me. I noticed it seems you have a 13" instead of the more common 14", but I was mostly curious to know what heads you use, and how it is tuned?

Thanks,
Alex
Old 07-09-2010, 12:56 AM

hey Gavin
i was wondering what your opinion was on my band http://www.youtube.com/user/jordster.../1/BgrhXclgiJM
thanks
Jordan
Old 07-09-2010, 04:13 AM

Gavin,
I've got a couple of questions! First on "Bonnie the Cat",at the songs intro when you
crash in,did you displace the hi-hat a 16th note or am I just not counting it right?Second,
how do you deal with snare buzz?(I've never heard your snare buzz on any recording,or on your DVDs') I read you use a 12" snare drum, does this help to keep the buzz to a minimum?
Thanks,
Russ