DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 06-07-2010, 06:03 PM

Default Recommendations for a beginnner drum set.

Hi All:

First time poster, so please excuse me (or guide me) if this isn't the correct forum to post. I am beginning to learn acoustic drums, and was interested in practicing on a NEW drum set rather than on a practice pad (already have it). I wanted to buy a $500 drum set, but still get decent quality out of it. Please let me know your thoughts about whether it is a good idea for a beginner to practice on a drum set instead of a practice pad or just a snare drum?

If yes, I was looking into buying one of these:
1. Ludwig Pinnacle Complete 5 piece Drumset
2. Ludwig Accent Combo 5 Piece Drum Set
3. Gammon Percussion New Drum Set Black 5 Piece Complete Full Size with Cymbals Stands Stool Sticks
4. Gammon Percussion Black Drum Set for Sale with Cymbals Hardware and Stool New Gammon 5 Piece Kit Full Size
5. Percussion Plus Deluxe Beginner 5-Piece Drum Set w/ Cymbals and Throne
6. Pearl Rhythm Traveler 5-Piece Drum Set

Please let me know which is the best option, or if there are other brands I should be looking at in the $500 range. Based on brand name, #1 above seems like a good option. But I would like to hear your thoughts.

Thanks,
dM
Old 06-07-2010, 06:42 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Recommendations for a beginnner drum set.

Honestly, I would not mess with any of the drums you've listed- Ludwigs (especially the cheap ones) are extremely suspect to me these days, and the off-brands look like junk. I'm not familiar with those Pearls, but they're a little odd-looking- they could be a pain to resell- I would do some research into those before buying them.

I like the Tama Imperialstar Compact with the 18" bass drum (also available with a 20" if the 18 is too small for you)- several of my students have purchased them. The hardware is nice and solid, and the sizes are desirable- which may help when it comes time to resell them. A few years ago these were called Stagestar- can may be able to find a good deal on a used set.

http://www.shopwiki.com/Tama+IS58C+I...als+and+Throne

There also seem to be enough Gretsch Catalinas floating around that the used prices are coming down a bit- you can probably find a set for ~$500. I haven't looked into the price on the cheapest Yamahas (Stage?) but those are also decent quality.
Old 06-07-2010, 06:58 PM
Silver Member

Buy used. For every new beginner's set sold, there are five or ten of them cluttering up somebody's garage, closet, spare room, attic, etc. For the price you'd pay for a semi-adequate beginner set, you can get solid, giggable drums on the used market.
Old 06-07-2010, 11:21 PM

Thanks for your reply. I should have specified that this kit is for drumming at home (purely as a hobby). As of now, I do not have aspirations of taking the drums out of the basement!

Cheers,
dM
Old 06-08-2010, 01:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ermghoti View Post
Buy used. For every new beginner's set sold, there are five or ten of them cluttering up somebody's garage, closet, spare room, attic, etc. For the price you'd pay for a semi-adequate beginner set, you can get solid, giggable drums on the used market.
This ^^^^^^^

Ive bought two used sets and am pleased with both. Do some research on what you want and try to find it on craigslist. I got my daughter a Ludwig accent with zildjian zbt cymbals for $200. Those Ludwigs pop up all the time for $300 or less. Spend a couple more bucks on some good heads and they will be adequate. My daughter loves her Ludwig.

At some point I may buy a new set just like the ONE time i bought a new car, just to say I had one. That may be a long time because I want to bee good enough to justify owning a new set. In the end I like the feeling of getting a deal.
Old 06-08-2010, 01:57 AM

Oh really? Thats cool haha. Well if you need free lessons, the internet is always available (i.e. freedrumlessons.com). Also, buying used is GREAT- much better than any new cheap kit!