DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 12-15-2009, 08:37 PM

Default Drummers with Guitar Knowledge

Haven't a clue where to post this but I know lots of you guys have knowledge about guitar amps. I'm looking for a basic amp for an electric acoustic. I'd like something that can also accomodate a vocal mic and/or electric keyboard. I'm thinking there is such an animal but am absolutely overwhelmed with all the info out there. Lower end price range but I can be flexible. Any suggestions or at least a list of questions for consideration while I begin my search? Thanks so much!
Old 12-15-2009, 08:42 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Default Re: Drummers with Guitar Knowledge

Hmm one thing pops out at me...Using vocals through an instrument amp, usually doesn't sound too hot, especially if you're plugging in a guitar or keys.

Roland makes decent keyboard amps
Fender, Marshall makes decent guitar amps
I'd try to get a dedicated vocal PA for sure though.

Sorry not too much help, you probably already know this stuff
Old 12-15-2009, 08:49 PM

http://www.carvinguitars.com/guitara...sticseries.php

These little acoustic amps are very good, very flat frequency response, built in EQ and FX.. Can handle vocals, guitars, keybaords, drums (triggers / elec. kits).
Old 12-15-2009, 08:52 PM
Silver Member

my Mate has a Kustom acoustic amp which also accepts vocals might be worth looking into its a pretty good amp

DW drums
ZILDJIAN PAISTE SABIAN cymbals
VIC FIRTH sticks
Old 12-15-2009, 09:26 PM

Crate (believe it or not) makes some very good, very affordable Acoustic Guitar Amps. Do not try pumping your Acoustic / Electric through a regular dedicated Electric guitar amp... especially if you need to do vocals as well...

The other option would be to buy a small, portable PA system - Fender makes one I think, and plug your Acoustic directly into that.
Old 12-15-2009, 09:51 PM
Platinum Member

i have a little roland keyboard amp i like a lot. i use it for my electronic drum kit, but it works for all kinds of purposes. it has a 4 channel mixer buit in with an XLR input for a microphone. a lot of times my friends come over and we plug in a microphone, an acoustic/electric guitar, a bass guitar, and my electronic drum kit. as long as you don't want to get real loud it works great.

http://keyboards-midi.musiciansfrien...Amp?sku=480193
Old 12-15-2009, 10:36 PM
Platinum Member

I was going to recommend the Carvin AG100D as well. That thing's a workhorse. Anything less expensive (that I've seen) will just give you only 2 channels and won't be as powerful. I have an amp I use for busking and coffee shops: the Epiphone Studio Acoustic 15C. You can plug in an XLR to channel one and a 1/4" to channel two. It's not so big or beefy or loud, but it gets the job done in small rooms. If you need some more power, I'd check out the Carvin or a Roland Keyboard amp (with multiple inputs). Anything more than that, and you're looking into the realm of small PA systems.

Good luck!

My kit: http://drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44195
Old 12-15-2009, 11:22 PM

Malti, try checking out the Fender Passport series. Something like that should fit the bill.
Old 12-16-2009, 01:46 AM
Platinum Member

The Roland KC series amps are beauties. To put keyboards, acoustic guitar and vocals thur, because they are very clean. And if an electric guitar player needs to plug in, a Line 6 guitar pod (or similar type effects module) will provide all the effects/distortion anyone could ever want. And the bonus, you don't have to have the volume cranked to 11.
Old 12-16-2009, 02:41 AM
Silver Member

I would stay away from fender passports, I've had two different ones the 250 watt, and the 500 watt, and they both broke after minimal use. I sent the 500 back in to get fixed under warranty and it was gone for 6 months, eventually after enough complaining they sent me a brand new one in the box. I am going to sell it, but I would never sell this to a friend.

The worst part about the passport was one gig we had two vocals and one fiddle with his own pre amp going into the passport and the thing would "decide" what it thought was important and change the mix on it's own. after that we just used it for a practice pa but then it finally just died on it's own.

I have 3 different acoustic amps the genz benz shenandoah, the fishman loudbox, and the swr california blonde. they all do what your looking to do, the swr is the best though. sounds incredible with a tube pre amp and an aural exciter, it is also about 700 bucks new but you can get it for half that used or in pawn shops.