DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 12-27-2008, 03:33 PM

Default Video Drum Lessons - HOW?

Hey guys,

I would like to ask for some advice on recording drums as I'm not even sure how to go about this yet.

I'm looking to record some drum lessons to promote my business. I use a Yamaha electronic drum kit and was thinking that if I got a good digital camera that I could somehow record me drumming and upload it to my PC.

I need to know the following really...
  • What digital camera would you recommend? What features will it need?
  • How would I record my voice through a microphone AND the electronic drum kit sound while recording? Can you get cameras that allow you to input a microphone and a midi input (I presume it's MIDI I'd use) at the same time, while recording?
  • What software would anyone recommend to edit the videos together? Windows Movie Maker is a little too basic for this.
  • Is it best to think about recording directly into my PC? If so, then have you any advice on this?

I apologise for throwing these rather large and technical questions at you all. Any advice you can offer will be greatly appreciated though.

Thanks again and I wish you all a very happy new year!

Rob (fellow drum-a-holic)
Old 12-28-2008, 04:21 AM

Default Re: Video Drum Lessons - HOW?

video is sort of my forte so to speak

as far as a camera goes, it depends on what youre publishing to. If you plan to go dvd or high-quality, i would suggest saving up and investing in an HD handycam. These aren't outrageous in price the quality is..well..HD
if you plan to put your videos on the internet, just buy yourself a mini DV camera. something like a Sony Handycam. itheyre relatively cheap and because of the fact that you are doing external audio and publishing to the web, the quality will do just fine. Most of the DV cameras you will see at bestbuy/target/etc. have everything you will need, and you can work with one of the people there to find one that has your audio requirements.

i'm not familiar with using microphones alongside drums, but you should be able to run the microphone straight into the camera or possibly through the mixer you use with your set. Just be sure to turn the mic off while drumming!

Video software is sort of your preference. movie maker kinda blows, but iMovie isn't bad. Adobe Premiere elements is cheap and will have what you need. If you want to get a little more spendy, the full version of Adobe Premiere isn't bad editing software and is what i use personally.

recording straight to your pc could work better. i personally prefer to record to tape, but i shoot movies, not drums, so the audio might be better running straight to PC.

hopefully this helps.
if you need any assistance with your camera or with editing let me know
Old 12-28-2008, 02:33 PM

Default Re: Recording Video Drum Lessons - HOW?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddamm27913 View Post
i'm not familiar with using microphones alongside drums, but you should be able to run the microphone straight into the camera or possibly through the mixer you use with your set. Just be sure to turn the mic off while drumming!
Thanks very much for your reply, it was really useful.

I have a further question about the mixer though. Is that some kind of external piece that I would run both the camera and electronic drum kit output through at the same time? How does this work for recording MIDI output and DV video at the same time? What kind of mixer do I need do you think?

Any other advice you can offer is appreciated!