DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 11-04-2008, 06:16 PM

Default Drummers who play in bedrooms, garages, attics, and small stages!

Hello all!

For my thesis i am designing a new kind of drum kit! Cool right?! I cant tell you too much about it yet except that it is to do with the ammount of space a drum kit takes up. So i need to know your opinions on something to get the ball rolling.

Are you confined to a bedroom, garage, attic to practise in? Or any small space in fact?

Do you find that your kit is too big for the stages that your band plays on?

I want you to tell me any and every little annoyance and problem you have with setting up your kit in these small spaces! Leave nothing out!

You never know, i might end up solving your problem!

Thanks a million

Al
Old 11-04-2008, 07:22 PM

Default Re: Drummers who play in bedrooms, garages, attics, and small stages!

PM me if you would like my opinion.
Old 11-04-2008, 07:27 PM
Platinum Member

Is it going to be something like this:

Old 11-04-2008, 07:39 PM

Not really, that one still requires a lot of hardware for cymbals and extras and stuff. Thats a pretty cool little kit though.
Old 11-04-2008, 07:40 PM

The bass drum almost looks like a mini fridge.
Old 11-04-2008, 09:00 PM
Gold Member

I think you're trying to solve a problem that is already solved. You should check out the Traps 400A drum kit that's already made for this (http://drums-percussion.musiciansfri...Set?sku=491112) . Another option is something like the Nesting Penguin kit by Whitney Drums (www.whitneydrums.com). Also, go into the "Your Gear" section of this message board, and you will find some designs that people on here have already made. It might give you some ideas of how to go with it. All of those, along with stuff like using a cocktail kit, using a Sonor Jungle Kit, using a HipGig kit by Yamaha, and using hand drums like a cajon are used by drummers all across the nation to solve this problem.

I'm still interested to see what you come up with...just saying, there are already a lot of options out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Serpent View Post
The bass drum almost looks like a mini fridge.
People ask me if my cajon is a fridge all the time. They think I'm sitting on it to keep drinks close!

www.rossidrums.com
MySpace: rossidrums
Old 11-04-2008, 09:25 PM
Gold Member

Yeah dude, everything's been done...electric kits, portable kits, everything. Of course, you're teacher doesn't have to know that =D
Old 11-04-2008, 11:17 PM
Gold Member

Most of my gear is already set up in a venue I play every weekend, so I only have to lug my cymbals and 5 stands around, but it's still a pain.

Last weekend I had to set up on a stage with very little room. I usually have 2 crashes, 1 ride, and hats, plus 1 bass, 1 rack tom, 1 floor tom, and a snare, but the space was so small and I had very little time to set up, I went with only 1 crash. I was only playing 1 song, but it had to be right and sound right. The small space coupled with absolutely no time to set up caused some excitement but I managed to pull it off. But I had to play with my cymbals not in perfect playing position

That is probably my 1 gripe - drummers not allowed enough time to set up when you have to share a stage with others and the program keeps moving along, so you move your gear on and after you play, move it off and someone else takes up the space. I was told I'd have 5 to 10 minutes to set up. It was more like 30 seconds, but that was the nature of the venue, so I adjusted as best I could and didn't bitch because they liked what I did and how I played so much so that they want me back again for the holiday season. And this opportunity will likely lead to more opportunities that pay. So I took one hit of inconvenience and chalked it up to "Lessons Learned".

Hope that helps your research.
Old 11-04-2008, 11:55 PM
Gold Member

Oh, one time I had to play at my synagogue's picnic, and they made me set up my drumset on this big plastic sheet of wood, on top of playground mulch.

It sucked.

The end.
Old 11-05-2008, 12:50 AM

Look at cocktail kits.

Old 11-05-2008, 02:29 AM

Rather than something smaller I want something that I can use on my regular acoustic kit to quiet it to, say, the volume of a loud TV but retain the tone.
Old 11-05-2008, 06:33 AM

Nobody in my band ever complained about the space I took up on a stage... except the base player. All I had was a four piece with a rack so a smaller footprint than tripod stands. He griped I had too much stuff! I told him it's my instrument and his bass has too many strings!
Old 11-05-2008, 03:54 PM
MattRitter
This message has been deleted by MattRitter.
Old 11-05-2008, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Februar View Post
Look at cocktail kits.
Im going to keep in the vein of a standard 4 or 5 piece rock kit. A cocktail kit is getting away from the point a little. But thanks for the suggestion. All this feedback is really helping!

Heres a further question, do you get annoyed with the ammount of effort it takes to transport a kit around? Say you are playing a gig in a bar, you need to have a car or van, you need at least two people to unload etc. What do you not like about getting your kit around??
Old 11-05-2008, 05:04 PM
Gold Member

Ya, I get annoyed with lugging all the stuff around. And I get really annoyed at the cost of good quality transport equipment, such as drum bags, stand boxes, etc. It seems the cost of good quality transport gear is almost the same as the cost of the drums themselves.

But probably the most annoying thing about playing drums out at gigs is that nobody thinks to help the drummer unload and then load back up And then those same people bitch and gripe because it takes the drummer "too long to set up and take down". Well, duh?! If we had some help it wouldn't take so &^%$#(*& long!!

A handful of people have helped unload and load and I am extremely grateful to those individuals. These are usually older guys who've been gigging for while and know the pains because they've done it themselves over the years. These folks unload their guitars and then ask if they can help unload the drums because in their opinion a band is a group effort - you share in the successes and failures and you help each other out whenever you can.

But for the most part people just stand around and gawk....
Old 11-07-2008, 02:47 AM

I'm sorry to challenge the legitimacy of your idea... but hasn't this issue been addressed before?

Penguin Kits

Cocktail Kits

Traps Kits
Old 11-07-2008, 10:22 AM
Platinum Member

I don't usually transport my kit anywhere but cymbal placement can be a bit tedious for me since it's hard to get all the cymbal stands in the right places without all the legs crashing into each other. Maybe i should just buy a rack or something.

EHs Music Facebook Page
Old 11-07-2008, 02:09 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlColdtrigger View Post
Im going to keep in the vein of a standard 4 or 5 piece rock kit. A cocktail kit is getting away from the point a little. But thanks for the suggestion. All this feedback is really helping!

Here's a further question, do you get annoyed with the amount of effort it takes to transport a kit around? Say you are playing a gig in a bar, you need to have a car or van, you need at least two people to unload etc. What do you not like about getting your kit around??
Yeah, loading & unloading is a drag, but TWO PEOPLE to unload?? Yeah, if you're LAZY or a wimp!! It's nice to have help, but I certainly don't NEED it, even if I was toting a huge kit.

And the idea of a portable kit has well been done, to no great advantage other than portability.

NONE of them sound like a REAL drumkit.

Thanks are implied
You are welcome
Listen To BONHAM here!!
ViperFace
Old 11-07-2008, 03:47 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Hello all!

For my thesis i am designing a new kind of drum kit! Cool right?! I cant tell you too much about it yet except that it is to do with the ammount of space a drum kit takes up. So i need to know your opinions on something to get the ball rolling.

Are you confined to a bedroom, garage, attic to practise in? Or any small space in fact?

I want you to tell me any and every little annoyance and problem you have with setting up your kit in these small spaces! Leave nothing out!

Thanks a million

Al
This is a timely post. I am heading to Iraq in a month and I am trying to figure out what I can bring. I will probably have a little office space to play. My issues are, I have to carry anything I bring. Too much stuff is a hassle. I am not sure if I can safely stash gear in a Milvan and retrieve it on the other side.

Electric kit, would work, can use head phones to practice, not sure of the power source. Extreme temps might hurt the electronics.

DW practice pad kit, no power needed. Cheap, hard to break. No cymbals for target practice.

One other option is I might just bring a snare in a case and practice rudiments for a year. But being a new drummer, I am afraid I am going to lose motivation and progress.

Any thoughts from the group appreciated.

My preference is to get a Yamaha Electronic kit but I am afraid it will get damaged.

These kits are cool looking though. I looked at Traps in the store yesterday. Although bulky, they are pretty cool.

John
Old 11-07-2008, 07:50 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaajn View Post
This is a timely post. I am heading to Iraq in a month and I am trying to figure out what I can bring. I will probably have a little office space to play. My issues are, I have to carry anything I bring. Too much stuff is a hassle. I am not sure if I can safely stash gear in a Milvan and retrieve it on the other side.

Electric kit, would work, can use head phones to practice, not sure of the power source. Extreme temps might hurt the electronics.

DW practice pad kit, no power needed. Cheap, hard to break. No cymbals for target practice.

One other option is I might just bring a snare in a case and practice rudiments for a year. But being a new drummer, I am afraid I am going to lose motivation and progress.

Any thoughts from the group appreciated.

My preference is to get a Yamaha Electronic kit but I am afraid it will get damaged.

These kits are cool looking though. I looked at Traps in the store yesterday. Although bulky, they are pretty cool.

John
you should talk to trkdrmr he's in Afghanistan right now. As for an electronic kit modern electronics can put up with quite a but maybe you should ask the company or something since i'm sure they will have done tests.

EHs Music Facebook Page
Old 11-07-2008, 08:43 PM
jay norem

Quote:
Heres a further question, do you get annoyed with the ammount of effort it takes to transport a kit around? Say you are playing a gig in a bar, you need to have a car or van, you need at least two people to unload etc. What do you not like about getting your kit around??
Moving drums around is just part of being a drummer. To be honest I've never given it much thought. I have a routine that I always follow, the order in which parts of the kit are packed up and loaded, and that order is reversed for unloading and setting up.
I really don't like people helping me move my stuff, because it messes up my routine. When i do it by myself I know where everything is and the whole process is quick and efficient.
Old 11-07-2008, 09:15 PM
Pioneer Member

Yeah same here Jay. I stopped complaining about "lugging gear" the first time I helped move a bass amp. I would much rather take 2-3 light trips than one that would break my back like that.

I sort of feel like if you gig out enough, you've figured out what you need and don't need.

As for the original subject, I am a fan of "mini-kits" of all kinds I've owned all of the hipgigs, catalinas, jungle kits, and cocktail kits. If you have something like this, then cool. Show us. I promise I won't steal your idea. Oh, lets not forget about the gigpig either http://www.gigpig.org/
Old 11-07-2008, 10:18 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
Yeah same here Jay. I stopped complaining about "lugging gear" the first time I helped move a bass amp. I would much rather take 2-3 light trips than one that would break my back like that.

I sort of feel like if you gig out enough, you've figured out what you need and don't need.

As for the original subject, I am a fan of "mini-kits" of all kinds I've owned all of the hipgigs, catalinas, jungle kits, and cocktail kits. If you have something like this, then cool. Show us. I promise I won't steal your idea. Oh, lets not forget about the gigpig either http://www.gigpig.org/
We didn't forget . . . just a few posts back.
http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...2&postcount=17

Thanks are implied
You are welcome
Listen To BONHAM here!!
ViperFace
Old 11-07-2008, 10:53 PM
jay norem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
Yeah, that's another thing. If you move all your drums by yourself then nobody can expect you to help them move their gear!
Old 11-08-2008, 06:50 PM
Gold Member

Quote:

Again, man, check out the nesting penguin kits at www.whitneydrums.com. They all fold into one drum and are light-weight. The stand folds into another container. So, you have one bag for hardware, one bag with all the drums, and you grab your cymbal bag and you're good to go. One person, one trip, they are regular drums, you can get them at full dimensions, etc.

www.rossidrums.com
MySpace: rossidrums
Old 11-11-2008, 12:17 PM
AlColdtrigger
This message has been deleted by AlColdtrigger.
Old 11-11-2008, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipercussionist View Post
Yeah, loading & unloading is a drag, but TWO PEOPLE to unload?? Yeah, if you're LAZY or a wimp!! It's nice to have help, but I certainly don't NEED it, even if I was toting a huge kit.

And the idea of a portable kit has well been done, to no great advantage other than portability.

NONE of them sound like a REAL drumkit.

Well i play a pretty big set up, and when i say Two people i mean one to stay with the car, and one to carry, because in Dublin city if you leave the car on the road it wont be there when you get back, either that or all the rest of your kit is gone.

Anyway, thanks for all of your input and ideas, it has been greatly appreciated. I am moving on with the project and i will let you know what I come up with!

Thanks again
-Al
Old 11-11-2008, 01:51 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrchattr View Post
Again, man, check out the nesting penguin kits at www.whitneydrums.com. They all fold into one drum and are light-weight. The stand folds into another container. So, you have one bag for hardware, one bag with all the drums, and you grab your cymbal bag and you're good to go. One person, one trip, they are regular drums, you can get them at full dimensions, etc.
I checked out the site, I'd love to hear how they sound because they are really innovative little kits. on top of that the finishes are great and the kits look so comfortable.
Old 11-29-2008, 08:46 PM

hah - your late, this problem has already been solved.

the drum kit t-shirt:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNdztU8z5Tk
Old 11-29-2008, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Hello all!

Thanks a million

Al
The idea sounds great,
I would love a fold up kit that maybe that you could wheel around it would be great ! You could take the idea of a drum rack and add thin toms, Maybe fold it up at put in a bag or whatever i can't wait, Send me a pic or somthing when your done by pm

Thanks

Tris
Old 11-29-2008, 09:47 PM
Silver Member

This has probably been discussed before but my problem is travel. If you can design something that sets up a little bigger but packs small, for instance in an airline Carry On, that would sold a bunch of issues.

Bicycles have taken to cutting the frame in half, the whole things bolts together and fits in a suit case.

Some food for thought.

John
Old 11-30-2008, 04:11 PM
Pioneer Member

well im assuming this whole thread is more geared at protable "practice" kits and not "play live-giging" kits. key things to think about im my opinion when designing a practice are::

1. Feel, it must feel as close as possible to a realistic kit. this means not only feeling like a drum head, but not being terribly out of proportion to the point that your scrunched up.

2. portability, obviously it must pack up into a small unit for carrying/storage.

if you can master this and do it at an affordable price than you'll have yourself a nice little investment.

the hard part is doing something that hasnt been done already...so good luck man!

those whitney penguin kits look sweet and id love to hear from someone that has used/owned/played one. how do they sound? and how much do they run?
Old 11-30-2008, 05:31 PM

Cajon:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=3SSijyDOsU8

This clip features a whole kit made from Cajons:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=ebbwL4...eature=related

I live in a flat the size of a shoebox. I play a 10" snare with brushes. Forces you to be creative.