DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 10-20-2008, 04:45 PM
trkdrmr

Default Boston: Ekit or acoustic?

Apologies, I originally posted this in "off topic" but a friend e-mailed me and said there are people that just don't go to that section to read posts. Hence, the re-post here.

Boston's last few albums drums sound to me as if they are an e-kit, or a *heavily* effects-laden acoustic kit. Can anyone confirm which type kit was used? Especially on "higher power".
Old 10-21-2008, 08:20 PM

Default Re: Boston: Ekit or acoustic?

Hey there -

I was Tom's studio manager during the recording of the 4th ( walk on ) record, and
he was using sapphire pads ( a local guy from Littleton mass ) - and did some sampling of my bronze ludwig 6.5 ( don't know if he used it or not )

He did lots of db adjustments on the hihat - like hitting every third one up a couple dbs
using older software - he also has scads of the older boston drum sounds that he would
use on variou tunes.

The big white ludwigs that were used for several tours, Curly Smith for a while, but
we are going back 10+ years here. were stuffed with foam, used triggers and the drum
tech would call up various kits - depending on the tunes.

that's what I remember anyway -
Old 10-22-2008, 12:37 AM
trkdrmr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metrodrum View Post
Hey there -

I was Tom's studio manager during the recording of the 4th ( walk on ) record, and
he was using sapphire pads ( a local guy from Littleton mass ) - and did some sampling of my bronze ludwig 6.5 ( don't know if he used it or not )

He did lots of db adjustments on the hihat - like hitting every third one up a couple dbs
using older software - he also has scads of the older boston drum sounds that he would
use on variou tunes.

The big white ludwigs that were used for several tours, Curly Smith for a while, but
we are going back 10+ years here. were stuffed with foam, used triggers and the drum
tech would call up various kits - depending on the tunes.

that's what I remember anyway -
WOW! I was never expecting an inside perspective! The last time I asked this question, I only got some negative rhetoric about Bostons production.

The alternate reason I was also questioning if it was simply a highly-effects laden acoustic kit was Tom's dislike of using computers.

Boston has been one of my favorite bands since the debut album, thank you for clarifying.

Incidentally, Brad's passing really hit home.

R.I.P. Brad Delp aka "The nicest guy in rock and roll"
Old 10-23-2008, 03:51 PM

Speaking of Brad, did you happen to catch the talent search that Boston did on You tube for a replacment for Brad and who they came up with!!!! This blew me away when I heard this. It was broadcast on the local news here about how Bostons lead singer was surfing you tube one day and came across this guy singing to Bostons tunes as a goof. This guy as it turnes out sounds IDENTICAL to Brad Delp and was asked to audition with the band. The guy, some kind of manager at a Home Depot,has been a Boston fan his whole life and IS NOW FRONTING FOR Boston ON THEIR UPCOMING COMEBACK TOUR!!!!!!! Talk about a cinderella story, whew!

Gretsch and Paiste
Old 10-24-2008, 04:56 PM

the same thing with the drummer - Tom saw him playing in a cover band at a ski lodge in Maine - and he could sing the high backups - I was not with the organization when he joined, but i believe that's how the story goes.
Old 10-25-2008, 02:00 AM
trkdrmr

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillgroovin View Post
Speaking of Brad, did you happen to catch the talent search that Boston did on You tube for a replacment for Brad and who they came up with!!!! This blew me away when I heard this. It was broadcast on the local news here about how Bostons lead singer was surfing you tube one day and came across this guy singing to Bostons tunes as a goof. This guy as it turnes out sounds IDENTICAL to Brad Delp and was asked to audition with the band. The guy, some kind of manager at a Home Depot,has been a Boston fan his whole life and IS NOW FRONTING FOR Boston ON THEIR UPCOMING COMEBACK TOUR!!!!!!! Talk about a cinderella story, whew!
That is awesome news! Much like that amazing kid they found for Journey. Alas, youtube is blocked at my deployed location. They are worried I might accidentally view a bare breast or maybe upload a video of some officer acting like a knob. I would like nothing more than to see Bostons new group live.
Old 10-28-2008, 06:26 PM

Hey, TRKDRMR, this is a little off topic but I just want to say thanks for serving, and stay safe. Been there myself so I know what it's like. Just remember there is a light at the end of the Tunnel!!! Hell, Uncle Sam should buy you a DW kit when you return!!!!!!

Gretsch and Paiste
Old 10-29-2008, 12:49 AM
trkdrmr

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillgroovin View Post
Hey, TRKDRMR, this is a little off topic but I just want to say thanks for serving, and stay safe. Been there myself so I know what it's like. Just remember there is a light at the end of the Tunnel!!! Hell, Uncle Sam should buy you a DW kit when you return!!!!!!
I appreicate the support! Actually, even better than a DW kit for me. Trick offered me "artist pricing" and they are forging me an AL13 aluminum kit as we speak, complete with new bigfoot pedals. I am adding A-customs and a curved gibraltar rack.

As of this writing, I have "65 and a wake up." And I will return to that gleaming new Trick kit.

EDIT: the months of hostile fire pay, hardship duty pay and tax-free pay will more than pay for the Trick kit. In a roundabout way, Uncle Sam did buy me a kit.

Last edited by trkdrmr; 10-29-2008 at 02:37 AM.