DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 10-20-2008, 12:44 AM
Silver Member

Default Would John Bonham be here?

Do you guys think if he were still alive, he would have an account on Drummer World?
Old 10-20-2008, 01:35 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Would John Bonham be here?

If he did, he would be totally anonymous. Everything I've ever read about the man pretty much states he hated notoriety.
Old 10-20-2008, 10:29 AM

Can anyone explain why he gets so much praise?

I mean this seriously. Exactly what is it that makes him so good?

I've listed to Zep quite a bit and I never really noticed the drumming.
http://www.trippywicked.com
Old 10-20-2008, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westicle View Post

Are you serious? How can you listen to Zep and not notice Bonham's drumming? What makes him so good? His right foot, that's what! Just listen to "Good Times, Bad Times", and tell me you are not impressed. Or go to youtube and check out Moby Dick. Bonham is all about power and groove. He has lots of cool drum parts that I love, "Good Times, Bad Times", "The Crunge", "Bonzo's Montreux" and "Fool In The Rain" are some of my favorites.
Old 10-20-2008, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRhythmMethod View Post
Are you serious? How can you listen to Zep and not notice Bonham's drumming? What makes him so good? His right foot, that's what! Just listen to "Good Times, Bad Times", and tell me you are not impressed. Or go to youtube and check out Moby Dick. Bonham is all about power and groove. He has lots of cool drum parts that I love, "Good Times, Bad Times", "The Crunge", "Bonzo's Montreux" and "Fool In The Rain" are some of my favorites.
This is why I said EXACTLY.

So John Bonham is the most amazing drummer because of his right foot. Wow.

I will have a listen to that track on my lunch break and I'll check out the other stuff later but I was hoping for a little more than just "Oh my god I can't believe you're not in awe of him like I am".

SPECIFICALLY why is he so good?
Old 10-20-2008, 11:24 AM

Quote:

I will have a listen to that track on my lunch break and I'll check out the other stuff later but I was hoping for a little more than just "Oh my god I can't believe you're not in awe of him like I am".

I can't really explain why he is so good, just listen to the songs I mentioned, especially Bonzo's Montreux. It's hard for me to explain what makes a particular drummer good or special or whatever, but I think if you just listen to some Zep and focus on Bonham you will find out for yourself. I just love his style and sound, the way he and John Paul Jones are locked together in the groove. "We're Gonna Groove" is also a great example of an awesome drum part. I think what makes Bonham special is definitely his powerful grooves, his creativity with triplets, and his bass drum. I didn't say he is the most amazing drummer by the way, Buddy Rich and Neil Peart are far more amazing IMO, but Bonham was a great drummer with his own distinctive style and he deserves respect for that. Led Zeppelin would not have been the same without Bonham, he was a big part of their sound. John Paul Jones always said that Bonham was a bass players dream to play with and I couldn't agree more.
Old 10-20-2008, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRhythmMethod View Post
I can't really explain why he is so good, just listen to the songs I mentioned, especially Bonzo's Montreux. It's hard for me to explain what makes a particular drummer good or special or whatever, but I think if you just listen to some Zep and focus on Bonham you will find out for yourself. I just love his style and sound, the way he and John Paul Jones are locked together in the groove. "We're Gonna Groove" is also a great example of an awesome drum part. I think what makes Bonham special is definitely his powerful grooves, his creativity with triplets, and his bass drum. I didn't say he is the most amazing drummer by the way, Buddy Rich and Neil Peart are far more amazing IMO, but Bonham was a great drummer with his own distinctive style and he deserves respect for that. Led Zeppelin would not have been the same without Bonham, he was a big part of their sound. John Paul Jones always said that Bonham was a bass players dream to play with and I couldn't agree more.
Check these videos out:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ed5YvFkcR7g

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qX0QYuVuHrI
Old 10-20-2008, 11:46 AM

He was a legend - for his time.

I love Led Zeppelin and I love John Bonham. But...

A drummer today playing exactly like Bonham would not get much notice.

<<dons flame retardant suit and helmet>>
Old 10-20-2008, 04:36 PM
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinsyk17 View Post
Do you guys think if he were still alive, he would have an account on Drummer World?
How many other famous (or even semi-famous) pros from that era are here? Certainly none who've made their presence known...

The discussion of why well-known drummers (and drum companies) generally stay away from forums is an old one. In a nutshell, nobody likes to expose themselves to bashing or criticism, and the bigger the name, the less time they are likely to have to devote to online activities. If you think the big names don't get challenged... re-read this thread. Should a player of Bonham's status have to defend himself? A quick search online will also reveal more negative - and needless - criticisms of Ringo, Peart, Lars, Phil Rudd... it's a long list.

And those criticisms come from people who are either insecure, or mean-spirited or, as I suspect in Westicle's case, simply don't know enough about that drummer. Which is also why forums like this are beneficial - there are a number of poeple more familiar with the legacy and contributions of players like Bonham... Ringo... Keith Moon... Ginger Baker... Buddy Rich... Elvin Jones... Mitch Mitchell... etc etc.

Apart from the group's hits, I didn't really appreciate Led Zeppelin or Bonham in their heyday. Only later did I "get it" about Bonham: his feel, his profound sense of time, his deceptively complicated yet simple sounding parts... and his deceptively simple yet complicated parts. I would invite Westicle to explore a bit of Led Zep for some background on what it was Bonham was so famous and revered for. All of the albums have something, but maybe start with Houses Of The Holy & In Through The Out Door for some classic fills, odd times, and great grooves.

Bermuda
Old 10-20-2008, 04:57 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:

Who else played drums with there hands before Bonham in Rock?........NOBODY(except Joe Morello in jazz) who had a Gong on there kit.........NOBODY, Who had Tympani's on a Rock set-up...........NOBODY.Listen too "Achellies Last Stand" off of Presense or "Four Sticks" off of Led Zeppelin 4 which he actually played the song with four sticks,he was one of the first drummers too bring Big Drums into Rock(26" bass drum,14" tom 16" & 18" Floor-Toms) he did things other drummers wasn't. doing back then very inovative that's why he's stood the test of time and always will.hey everybody has opinions just listen too some other Zeppelin beside what they play on the radio.

Bonzolead
Old 10-20-2008, 06:13 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bermuda View Post
Apart from the group's hits, I didn't really appreciate Led Zeppelin or Bonham in their heyday. Only later did I "get it" about Bonham: his feel, his profound sense of time, his deceptively complicated yet simple sounding parts... and his deceptively simple yet complicated parts. I would invite Westicle to explore a bit of Led Zep for some background on what it was Bonham was so famous and revered for. All of the albums have something, but maybe start with Houses Of The Holy & In Through The Out Door for some classic fills, odd times, and great grooves.

Bermuda
Well said, Bermuda.

Not to get all Socratic method on you, Westicle, but how many incredibly talented drummers since 1970 have mentioned John Bonham as an influence? That answer alone should show why Bonzo is "so good" and "noticeable."

P.S. Westicle, I now interpret your avatar as a picture of you laughing heartily at the ruckus you cleverly caused on DW by inciting a "defend Bonham thread." Well played. Well played indeed.

Press here for my drums
"No one has bought his last drum."
Old 10-20-2008, 06:25 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1ck View Post
He was a legend - for his time.

I love Led Zeppelin and I love John Bonham. But...

A drummer today playing exactly like Bonham would not get much notice.

<<dons flame retardant suit and helmet>>
Much like a runner today breaking the 4:00 min mile gets no notice...but Roger Bannister doing it first...

Much like an astronaut today walking on the moon gets no notice...but Neil Armstrong doing it first...

Now, I'm not saying Bonzo was the first to play the drums, or do single pedal tiplets, or anything else. But he was the first to do it the way Bonzo did it. He did break a great deal of ground in rock drumming, however (much like Bonzolead pointed out) and deserves his legendary status to remain in tact. There is a mighty short list of drummers since Bonzo to influence music the way he did.

Press here for my drums
"No one has bought his last drum."
Old 10-20-2008, 06:44 PM
Silver Member

Quote:

I find it hard to believe you NEVER NOTICED Bonham's drumming, when you look up, do you see a rock? There is no ONE thing that makes ANY musician good or great. It is a culmination of ALL that they do, not just one EXACT thing.

If you don't "hear" what Bonham brings to the table there's no explaining it. You can't teach a blind man "red".

Thanks are implied
You are welcome
Listen To BONHAM here!!
ViperFace
Old 10-20-2008, 06:48 PM
Gold Member

As Hendrix, Clapton, and Beck are to the guitar...John Bonham is to the drums, just as Rich, Krupa, Peart, and many others. Bonham had his own thing that has inspired many...but it is just the opinion of those of us who are hooked on him. I do have some drummer friends who find Bonzo boring, but then again...their playing is LACKING!!! ROFL It's all about personal preference, but there are a lot who see his worth and those misfortunate enough not to appreciate his contribution. Only you can decide for yourself but listen to the whole body of his playing...its all out there for the taking.
Old 10-20-2008, 08:21 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:

Bonham was great, with creative flair and chops - kind of the opposite of Ringo.

But if he were alive today, I think he'd be embarrassed at how overplayed his music has become, so he might not have an account here. I think if he were alive still we wouldn't see the silly level of adulation he gets.
Old 10-20-2008, 09:05 PM

If Bonham was alive today, Led Zeppelin would still be making awesome music. End of story.
Old 10-20-2008, 10:08 PM
Gold Member

I think Bonham was so popular because he was an original...he didn't try and copy anyone. He had his own distinct style that nobody from that era seemed to match. His bass drumming and syncopation was/is legendary. I fully believe his association with Led Zepplin allowed him artistic creativity to experiment and try things nobody else from that era was doing. But it was more than being in the right place at the right time. He was an extremely talented and creative drummer not afraid to push the envelope.

If he were to come along and start today, would he be so popular? Whose to say. There are so many great drummers out there. But he did lay the foundation for serious rock drumming and in the process raise the bar for all drummers - regardless of genre.

And I have to add, in my locale, it's a damn shame the SAME 2 or 3 Led Zepplin songs are played over and over and over again by the radio stations. Don't these idiotic program managers know how many songs Led Zepplin publshed and played?
Old 10-21-2008, 02:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenPastTen View Post
Much like a runner today breaking the 4:00 min mile gets no notice...but Roger Bannister doing it first...

Much like an astronaut today walking on the moon gets no notice...but Neil Armstrong doing it first...

Now, I'm not saying Bonzo was the first to play the drums, or do single pedal tiplets, or anything else. But he was the first to do it the way Bonzo did it. He did break a great deal of ground in rock drumming, however (much like Bonzolead pointed out) and deserves his legendary status to remain in tact. There is a mighty short list of drummers since Bonzo to influence music the way he did.
Well said, TenPastTen. That was exactly my point. It was not my intent to depreciate Bonham in any way and I hope my comment was not thusly construed. (I kinda feared it would be.)

To understand the mark that someone has left in his/her particular field, you have to understand their contribution in the context of evolution.

Bonham was a pioneer of heavy drumming with a unique style. Some of his stuff sounds kinda "lazy" to me, but it fit the music perfectly and is notoriously difficult to imitate. He is duly loved and remembered for it.

So the answer to Westicle's question, (which I don't think he needs to be punished for asking,) is: It's all relative.
Old 10-21-2008, 02:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue_drummer View Post
I think Bonham was so popular because he was an original...he didn't try and copy anyone. He had his own distinct style that nobody from that era seemed to match. His bass drumming and syncopation was/is legendary. I fully believe his association with Led Zepplin allowed him artistic creativity to experiment and try things nobody else from that era was doing. But it was more than being in the right place at the right time. He was an extremely talented and creative drummer not afraid to push the envelope.
He was original because you had to be back then. Rock was new, all you could really do is take a simple idea and expound on it.
Old 10-21-2008, 02:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1ck View Post
Bonham was a pioneer of heavy drumming with a unique style. Some of his stuff sounds kinda "lazy" to me, but it fit the music perfectly and is notoriously difficult to imitate. He is duly loved and remembered for it.
I love the lazy stuff. Feels really laid back and "groovy".
Old 10-21-2008, 02:47 AM
trkdrmr

John seemed to be a bit uncomfortable in public forums and interviews. He seems like he was ok if it was one on one (especially with bandmates). Watching his interviews on youtube, he just doesn't seem to be the type to do something like this.

I will forever cherish his truly monumental grooves and contributions to music.
Old 10-21-2008, 03:55 AM

Nah, I doubt he'd post here. Doesn't seem like it would be his thing.

Quote:

The guy really impressed me on many levels. One, his playing ability was very good and super solid. Two, his approach to the instrument was very musical and always complemented the song perfectly. Three, he had his own playing style, and his sound was instantly recognizable. And four, his playing was often very groovy, and it really brought that dynamic into many of Zeppelin's songs. He also personified the rockstar image which added to his allure. When you consider all these things and add them to the overall popularity of the band, it's not hard to see why he is so revered.

By the way...
Quote:
Some would say that's a sign of a good drummer. If a drummer can't hold a steady beat, that's a bad thing that gets noticed. If the drummer is too overbearing, it may get noticed, but not in a good way, i.e. it overshadows the song. On the other hand, if the drummer isn't noticed, maybe it's because he/she is blending into and complementing the song perfectly, becoming a part of the song, not drawing attention to himself. That being said, most people probably do notice Bonham's drumming, but in a good way.

Last edited by Disco Stu; 10-21-2008 at 04:31 AM.
Old 10-21-2008, 04:09 AM

Quote:

Well.....he is so good because of EVERYTHING.... the guy had terrible skills and a beautifull natural sense of swing and groove.... JUST LISTEN
Old 10-21-2008, 04:11 AM

Well, I think he wouldnt, because he would not know how to use internet... that did not exist back in the 70s
Old 10-21-2008, 04:13 AM
trkdrmr

...of course if someone doesn't notice the drums on "When the leavee breaks" I would bring into question their hearing and/or observational skills. It would be missing the forest despite the trees.

The other thing... growing up listening to zep, it was always on a very large and powerful set of speakers cranked up. None of this silly mp3 ear-bud nonsense. Rock and roll is a dish best served...loud.

Last edited by trkdrmr; 10-21-2008 at 06:16 AM.
Old 10-21-2008, 04:13 AM
Rebel

John was a humble man that liked to help people, said by his son Jason during an interview. Seems that he never let fame and selffishness get to his head.

God bless, John Bonham.

All the Best,
Old 10-21-2008, 04:28 AM

I doubt Bonham would have an account here for reasons stated in another post. For all his achievements, accoloades, etc, even Peart gets hammered by some people. I've heard people say negative things about Buddy Rich, no one is immune. That's just how it is.
I was always more of an Ian Paice fan than a Bonham fan but I have nothing bad to say about Bonzo. I love his style and he has influenced countless drummers.

Like someone said, if he was just coming up today with his style he probably wouldn't be noticed as much.He came along at a different time. And how can anyone listen to Zep's music and not notice the drumming?! If someone is interested in just stupendous technique then yeah, Bonzo isn't such a big deal. And Bonzo was more than just his right foot and triplets.

Fast foot? this was said about Leonard Haze of Y&T fame-
"In 1986, Leonard Haze was named the World's Fastest Foot in Circus Magazine by Carmine Appice"

check out Y&T's Yesterday and Today album from 1976 and the track 25 Hours A Day, let me know if anyone has/had a faster foot than that. I haven't come across anyone.
Old 10-21-2008, 04:30 AM

This is why:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5p-vuop0oYU

(The bit with the dragster, 7 minutes in, is my favorite part. The roll he's doing on the drums sounds just like a rumbling V8.)

I'm 41. I was drawing the Led Zeppelin logo and the Swansong label logo on my textbooks when I was in high school. I appreciate them even more now that I'm older. I came very close to getting the Swansong logo tattooed on my arm before I left Australia, when I was almost 17. (Before tattoos were cool.) I actually walked into a studio intending to get it, but a girl with me at the time - just a friend - talked me out of it.

"When the Levy Breaks" was one of the first grooves I learned when I got my first kit at 15 years old.

I suppose I could get all moody and mystical and say:

"John Bonham IS here, guys. Can't you feel him?"

<<waves Bic lighter in the air>>
Old 10-21-2008, 04:31 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:

Its not that he was technically awesome, because im sure plenty of drummers could do stuff that he couldnt, and im sure he could do plenty of stuff other drummers cant.

But its his musicality i think. His style was just really good for the music he played.
Old 10-21-2008, 06:43 AM

Why is it not ok for someone to just say that a particular drummer is not their style? I can recognize that Bonham was pretty good for what he was, but personally (and apparently for Westicle) he just doesn't do much for me. I don't see why you simply HAVE to understand why someone is amazing. I feel like anytime someone says, "Drummer X isn't really my thing", and Drummer X is a big deal, people automatically assume that that person just "doesn't get it." I think a lot of people get it, but really just aren't thrilled by it in the same way that others are...and that's ok.
Old 10-21-2008, 08:35 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex H View Post
Why is it not ok for someone to just say that a particular drummer is not their style?
What is the question put forth by the original poster (OP)? Westical (#3 post) never addresses the thread topic. One of the fastest de-railments of a thread to happen in a long time. Sure, it's OK "to say that a particular drummer is not their style?" but on the other hand, why bother? Why comment in a speed metal thread if it's not your thing? Why comment negatively on some cats drum kit "just because you can"? Now...as far as the definition of ............" flame war"............ In online forums and other online discussion spaces, a flame war is a series of flame posts or messages in a thread that are considered derogatory in nature or are completely off-topic. Often these flames are posted for the sole purpose of offending or upsetting other users. The flame becomes a flame war when other users respond to the thread with their own flame message.
Old 10-21-2008, 09:45 AM

To all

No time to read the huge response now cos I've got to head to work but I can see there's some angry people there.

Yeah sorry it was a divergence from the original post but threads are a pain because they're like conversations with much more strict rules.

I meant the question seriously and not with the intention of bugging the bonzo obsessed folks here.

I was really hoping I wasn't gonna get answers along the lines of "He just is the best ok" because that means nothing at all and I'll just ignore what you have to say. It's not a contribution to the conversation.

He's a guy that gets a lot of fanatic praise and my first reaction to that behaviour is normally that there must be something to distrust; the reason I say this is that I don't see any negatives. Since all opinions are subjective and there aren't any negatives what's going on?

This is why I asked why is he seen to be so good? I haven't listen closely to him that much so I don't have an opinion. I'm not dissing your hero or anything because I haven't checked him out properly.

Looks like some people have said he was the first to do what he did. Now that is a good answer and means a lot. Being the first matters.

To the OP - sorry about causing havoc in your thread.

To the angry people - chill out, have a beer, give your wife/husband a cuddle, think about why you like this guys drumming so much and let me know.
Old 10-21-2008, 11:21 AM
Platinum Member

Plenty of material here: http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...ht=john+bonham
Old 10-21-2008, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryconway View Post
What is the question put forth by the original poster (OP)? Westical (#3 post) never addresses the thread topic. One of the fastest de-railments of a thread to happen in a long time. Sure, it's OK "to say that a particular drummer is not their style?" but on the other hand, why bother? Why comment in a speed metal thread if it's not your thing? Why comment negatively on some cats drum kit "just because you can"? Now...as far as the definition of ............" flame war"............ In online forums and other online discussion spaces, a flame war is a series of flame posts or messages in a thread that are considered derogatory in nature or are completely off-topic. Often these flames are posted for the sole purpose of offending or upsetting other users. The flame becomes a flame war when other users respond to the thread with their own flame message.
If you're implying that I had some intention of offending or being derogatory you're a bit off course. I was just pointing out that Westicle had his right to his opinion (albeit off-topic for the thread, which I realize I am perpetuating and apologize for). I had no intention of coming off as offensive, I was just trying to back up someone who I agreed with.
Old 10-21-2008, 07:16 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonzolead View Post
Who else played drums with there hands before Bonham in Rock?........NOBODY(except Joe Morello in jazz) who had a Gong on there kit.........NOBODY, Who had Tympani's on a Rock set-up...........NOBODY.Listen too "Achellies Last Stand" off of Presense or "Four Sticks" off of Led Zeppelin 4 which he actually played the song with four sticks,he was one of the first drummers too bring Big Drums into Rock(26" bass drum,14" tom 16" & 18" Floor-Toms) he did things other drummers wasn't. doing back then very inovative that's why he's stood the test of time and always will.hey everybody has opinions just listen too some other Zeppelin beside what they play on the radio.

Bonzolead
Here is an interesting article on Carmine Appice which shows where Bonham got his kit idea from. I agree totally with Bermuda, for me he just sounded like the right guy for that band and only I liked a few albums but later I was able to get into them more after "Presence and "In the Out Door"
http://www.theblackpage.net/pdf/The%...ber%202008.pdf
Old 10-21-2008, 07:50 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce M. Thomson View Post
Here is an interesting article on Carmine Appice which shows where Bonham got his kit idea from. I agree totally with Bermuda, for me he just sounded like the right guy for that band and only I liked a few albums but later I was able to get into them more after "Presence and "In the Out Door"
http://www.theblackpage.net/pdf/The%...ber%202008.pdf
yes Carmine help get Bonham his Ludwig endorsement that's why I said ONE of the first drummers too bring big drums into rock I know Vanilla Fudge & LZ tour together when Zeppelin was first on the scene Carmine is a great drummer also and I'm sure Bonham knew that.Cool article thanks for sharing.

Bonzolead
Old 10-21-2008, 08:10 PM
Platinum Member

Yeah, he'd have an account here...and he'd regularly drool over Karl Crafton's drum collection. ;)

As for westicle's question; I'd say it's simply his "feel". More than the sound of his drums on the recordings, or his chops...is simply how great his playing feels in the context of the music. Today you can almost instantly pick out someone who's heavily influenced by John Bonham...because that feel is there (in some capacity).

No one else could have filled his shoes...the band knew that and that's why Zeppelin ended with him.

That being said...he does get a strange level of adoration on these forums sometimes. :)
Old 10-21-2008, 08:12 PM
Silver Member

Quote:

It is pretty common to see these threads/opinions, and I'm guessing this is a younger poster.

I play guitar, primarily, and you get these exact same queries and outrage with Hendrix, Clapton, Van Halen, Metallica, Page, etc ad nauseum.

To answer the question directly: it is difficult to hear, today, what made/makes these guys great, because they spawned a flood of imitators, which now dilute the impact the greats had when they first appeared on the scene. There are at least a half dozen guys around who can do Hendrix as well as Hendrix did. But when he first hit radio, it was like an alien fell to Earth. People argue that Metallica was never a heavy metal band, just a typical hard rock act.

There was nobody in rock like Bonham, when Led Zeppelin hit the world stage. His sound, groove, feel, right foot, and stage presence were almost unhinted at by earlier acts. That he appeared in a band comprised entirely of greats certainly helped. That said, even given that guitar is my primary voice, when I throw in a Zep DVD, I want to grab a pair of sticks.

The fact also remains, that even in a world of third generation Bonham imitators (guys who mimic the Bonham mimics), if you can play with the swagger, swing and bombast of Bonham, you can still get plenty of gigs.
Old 10-21-2008, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex H View Post
Why is it not ok for someone to just say that a particular drummer is not their style? I can recognize that Bonham was pretty good for what he was, but personally (and apparently for Westicle) he just doesn't do much for me. I don't see why you simply HAVE to understand why someone is amazing. I feel like anytime someone says, "Drummer X isn't really my thing", and Drummer X is a big deal, people automatically assume that that person just "doesn't get it." I think a lot of people get it, but really just aren't thrilled by it in the same way that others are...and that's ok.
Well, Westicle did more than just give his opinion. He specifically requested an explanation as to why people consider Bonham to be a great drummer. I agree that some of the responses were antagonistic, but I think there were also some thoughtful responses that were simply trying to answer the question. But you are right, there is no sense in arguing over people's preferences.
Old 10-21-2008, 08:42 PM
Silver Member

I suspect that he's remembered more for being the drummer for Zep than for any other reason. He matched perfectly with *that* sound that came from LZ, and thus he's been immortalized for it. He did some things differently than others, but he certainly wasn't the first nor the best. He just happened to fit Led Zeppelin. In any other band... without Page and Plant and Jones? Well, he'd probably be just another solid drummer.

But is that really surprising? Would Ringo Starr be a household name without The Beatles? Would Clapton be *the* name in guitarists if not for The Yardbirds or Cream? How many *top* guys are really that much better than the guys pounding away in their basements?

Anyway, I don't mean to belittle Bonham's talents. He could play me under the table any day of the week... but so could a thousand other drummers. What made him so amazing is the music that Led Zeppelin created, with his drumming as an integral part.

Oh, and to answer the original question, I don't see Phil Collins lurking around the forums. I also don't see Ringo Starr or Jim McCarty or Alex Van Halen or Peter Criss... Is there any reason to believe that any other big name in drumming would necessarily be here?