DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 03-31-2018, 12:43 AM
Silver Member

Default Great drummer - Whit Sellers, Old Dominion

Haven't posted on here for a while.. but I recently discovered Old Dominion - and they are the tightest band I've seen in a long time.. a mix of country/rock.. with bits of other genres thrown in (like .. using EDM keyboards as a rythmic backing device, hiphop vocal rythmns, the Edge U2 guitar echo/washes, a bit of that super clean Steely Dan sound thrown in for good measure etc.).. great vocas/harmonies, songwriting - the total package.. wicked sound - wicked band!
.. and their drummer - Whit Sellers - is my kind of drummer. Super groove, tight as hell, dynamic and great technique. They play a lot of half-time grooves.. but he makes them sound driving and danceable.. which is not always easy to pull off.
Some hilite tunes on my playlist:
Said nobody
Snapback
Be with me
.. but the rest of their stuff is all good too.. check em out. These guys rock!
Old 03-31-2018, 05:08 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: Great drummer - Whit Sellers, Old Dominion

Ah I just remembered.. my question was:

When I saw them play live they had a keyboard player that was playing the regular keyboard parts.. but there was also a subtle keyboard riff playing throughout in the background - like a percussion effect - that really made the groove cook. Does anyone know how they pull this off? Is it the keyboard player running a sequencer .. or is the drummer playing along to it from a programmed device? They all have in-ear monitors.. so I'm guessing 'someone' is triggering these accompanying tracks.. and they are playing to it like a click track? Or is it variable and syncing to something else?

That can be tricky to do live if anyone in the band gets out of sync .. or can't hear the track..
Old 03-31-2018, 08:49 PM
Gold Member

Sounds like most all of the current no imagination copy cat sound nothing original music I hear from every other group or solo singer out there. Current Nashville sorta sound. Generic. Predictable. Boring.
Old 03-31-2018, 09:02 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattlin' Bones View Post
Sounds like most all of the current no imagination copy cat sound nothing original music I hear from every other group or solo singer out there. Current Nashville sorta sound. Generic. Predictable. Boring.
But tremendously technically capable. Those Nashville scene guys always seem to have incredible chops, vocal or instrumental or often both.
Old 03-31-2018, 09:19 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattlin' Bones View Post
Agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Push pull stroke View Post
But tremendously technically capable. Those Nashville scene guys always seem to have incredible chops, vocal or instrumental or often both.
Also agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moxman View Post
Ah I just remembered.. my question was:

When I saw them play live they had a keyboard player that was playing the regular keyboard parts.. but there was also a subtle keyboard riff playing throughout in the background - like a percussion effect - that really made the groove cook. Does anyone know how they pull this off? Is it the keyboard player running a sequencer .. or is the drummer playing along to it from a programmed device? They all have in-ear monitors.. so I'm guessing 'someone' is triggering these accompanying tracks.. and they are playing to it like a click track? Or is it variable and syncing to something else?

That can be tricky to do live if anyone in the band gets out of sync .. or can't hear the track..
If it's a big label Nashville act, chances are they're playing to a click/sequencer/backing tracks or any combination of the above. It's just par for the course.