Need Help choosing a Gretsch Stave, Maple,Oak,Cherry

Destroyer772

Gold Member
I am interested in getting a new snare, Grestch Stave in particular, not sure what would be the best choice in timbre. I usually like my snare to have a little body with a deeper darker sound. I have the one Gretsch 10 ply maple with wood metal hoops and the Saturn hybrid, so I am leaning towards cherry. Anyone have experience with these snare's.

Of the ones that you have listed, oak will have a little more bottom end. Cherry ad maple are pretty close, but a number of people say that cherry is a bit brighter.

I'm a Gretsch fan and own more than 30 snares. Among them a 6.5x14 Gretsch Oak stave. It's easily the poorest sounding drum among all my snares.
I recommend to test before you buy and A/B with other snares.

I can get the Stave right now for $400 were they are normally $600, so that is a factor but the USA copper and bronze are around $500 normal price. Does that sound like a good deal on the Stave, I was thinking thats about as close to a single ply as I can afford.

I have looked at the cherry stave many times and drooled. If you can get it for 400.00 and like the sound, go for it.

I have both and they are superb.
The Oak, when tuned medium, hits you right in the gut.

Attachments

• Gretsch 6514 Cherry Stave small.jpg
    Gretsch 6514 Cherry Stave small.jpg
    648.2 KB · Views: 167
  • Gretsch 6514 Oak Stave small.jpg
    Gretsch 6514 Oak Stave small.jpg
    656.4 KB · Views: 160
Russo Music was selling these for $250 each a couple years back. The cherry model are really nice. One of my friends bought one and loves it .

Check Drum Center of New Hampshire and their Gretsch clearance. Nevermind, I just looked.

Russo Music was selling these for $250 each a couple years back. The cherry model are really nice. One of my friends bought one and loves it .

Got my Cherry and Oak from Russo for $200 each with a discount code. Good times.

Thanks everyone for your input, I found it funny that no were on the internet could I find a demo video for the maple barn board's. DCP all most all ways puts out vids of there decent Snare drums. Im not sure I understand why those drums are so thick 7/8. When other quality staves I looked at were thinner. IDK, maybe next time. But I have also been wanting a hammered snare and found this Black Panther, Had to have it, question?. I ordered a Evans genera dry thinking a single ply with the vents would be a good combination of tone and control. Now after further research I hear it kills all tone and makes your Snare extremely dry. Musicians friend rep I called to make aware I would be exchanging the head and sending the Genera back told me that on that brass snare that would actually be a good choice and it would still have plenty of tone. I like my metal Snares to have some ping, Whats your all's thoughts and experience with the genera and/or the Mapex Sledgehammer. It's used but looks to be in good shape. Drum was $308 thats with tax and shipping.http://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Mapex/65X14-Sledgehammer-Black-Panther-Snare-Drum-112542458.gc

Thanks everyone for your input, I found it funny that no were on the internet could I find a demo video for the maple barn board's. DCP all most all ways puts out vids of there decent Snare drums. Im not sure I understand why those drums are so thick 7/8. When other quality staves I looked at were thinner. IDK, maybe next time. But I have also been wanting a hammered snare and found this Black Panther, Had to have it, question?. I ordered a Evans genera dry thinking a single ply with the vents would be a good combination of tone and control. Now after further research I hear it kills all tone and makes your Snare extremely dry. Musicians friend rep I called to make aware I would be exchanging the head and sending the Genera back told me that on that brass snare that would actually be a good choice and it would still have plenty of tone. I like my metal Snares to have some ping, Whats your all's thoughts and experience with the genera and/or the Mapex Sledgehammer. It's used but looks to be in good shape. Drum was $308 thats with tax and shipping.http://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Mapex/65X14-Sledgehammer-Black-Panther-Snare-Drum-112542458.gc

I really like the HD over the HD Dry for brass. Just enough tone control without drying things out too much. I tried it on my Black Beauty and, for me, the Dry was too Dry.

Back