DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Technique

Drum Technique Tips - Tricks - Practice - Rudiments - Educational DVDs & Books.....

Old 09-16-2016, 02:33 AM

Default Drums out of tune

I spend an inordinate amount of time tuning my drums. I dropped a chunk of cash on tight screws (top and bottom) to no avail. I've tried the leather "washers". I feel like I'm constantly tuning...It's not just this kit because it's happened on all of my kits.

Any solutions that have worked for some of you?
Old 09-16-2016, 02:58 AM

Default Re: Drums out of tune

Follow this for tuning, for me, it's genius

Super quick and it works. I do this on my Bubinga's and they sound super good in no time!

As to why it's constantly going out of tune, that's an endless question really

Where the drums are stored, the heads you are using etc....
Old 09-16-2016, 03:09 AM
Platinum Member

How new or old your heads are matters when tuning. I find that new heads continue to stretch out for many days after being installed and the drum(s) and need tweeking everyday. If the heads are old, the same type of thing can happen.
Old 09-16-2016, 04:35 AM

The drums are in the basement but the temp stays within five degrees. It doesn't really matter the condition of the heads (new/used). I do tune low or loose so that's probably a factor. It seems like every two or three practices I'm tuning, however...

The tuning method is cool...I will have to try it! Thanks for the suggestions...
Old 09-16-2016, 05:30 AM
Platinum Member

If you're tuning every two or three practices, I don't consider that a lot. Guitarists tune multiple times a night. We're whacking big, stretchy sheets of plastic with wooden sticks. I'd be surprised if the drums DIDN'T need tuning.

I tweak the tuning of my kit pretty much every time I play, and get constant compliments about how my drums sound. If you want something besides a toneless thump, I think it's reasonable to expect to tune fairly frequently. I know opinions differ, though.
Old 09-16-2016, 07:21 PM
Silver Member

When you put new heads on your drums are you stretching them out?
When I put on new heads I tighten them up at least a full turn tighter than I normally would have them and let them sit like that for 30 minutes to an hour then I loosen them back down and tune them how I want, they don't need to be tuned as often as they do if I don't stretch them out but they still need adjustments.
Old 09-16-2016, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbonez View Post
I spend an inordinate amount of time tuning my drums. I dropped a chunk of cash on tight screws (top and bottom) to no avail. I've tried the leather "washers". I feel like I'm constantly tuning...It's not just this kit because it's happened on all of my kits.

Any solutions that have worked for some of you?
I really like my Black Beauty snare drum, but if I'm playing heavy rimshot backbeats, the tension rod closest to where I hit loosens very easily. I'll be interested to hear if anyone has a good solution. I haven't tried any of the locking products.
Old 09-17-2016, 08:42 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spides666 View Post

Super quick and it works. I do this on my Bubinga's and they sound super good in no time!
HOLY SHIT! I gave this tom tuning method a try at rehearsal tonight and it worked great my toms sounded really good and it took less than a minute per drum, thanks for posting this I'd have never found it on my own with the 9 million other drum tuning videos on youtube!
Old 09-17-2016, 02:01 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:

That's awesome. I'm trying that the next time I change heads.
Old 09-17-2016, 02:04 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonerpizza View Post
HOLY SHIT! I gave this tom tuning method a try at rehearsal tonight and it worked great my toms sounded really good and it took less than a minute per drum, thanks for posting this I'd have never found it on my own with the 9 million other drum tuning videos on youtube!
When i started out i tuned how rob shows in that video and it was a life saver. the one thing he doesn't go through is matching your lugs to each other which will get rid of excess ringing and bad overtones.
Old 09-17-2016, 04:53 PM
The SunDog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
I really like my Black Beauty snare drum, but if I'm playing heavy rimshot backbeats, the tension rod closest to where I hit loosens very easily. I'll be interested to hear if anyone has a good solution. I haven't tried any of the locking products.
DW true pitch rods, the newer 50's, they work, no hype my BNOB never detunes. My older maple Collectors has the older 32 thread true pitch rods and it detunes just like any other drum. Loc-tite on the threads will fix ya! Available at the local hardware store, it's used in industrial applications all the time. Any equipment that vibrates will back out nuts or bolts. Everyone that wonders why this happens to their drum, well you hit the thing viciously with a stick, that's why it happens.
Old 09-17-2016, 05:07 PM
Silver Member

Quote:

Yes. Thanks. Found Rob Brown's tuning vids (kick and snare also) a few years ago, have employed this technique since. It works, quick and effective.
Old 09-17-2016, 06:04 PM

Matt, I'm using DIY tension rod locks: drilled a piece of vinyl siding, 1" x 3/4" push onto the trouble-some tension rod head so flat side of plastic butts against the hoop.
Old 09-17-2016, 09:23 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Interesting technique.. makes a good starting point to get the heads set evenly. But if the result is tuning the top and bottom head to equal tension, then I'd say the sound result in his example didn't really work.. those toms should be ringing out with a low pitch.. but they sound dead... maybe its the heads.. looks like the factory yamaha on the bottom..

It's kind of the Ludwig Classic maple tuning technique for rock recording from the 70's.. just tune low as possible to get rid of the wrinkles.. and top and bottom equal pitch.

Especially for Ambassadors, always a good idea to press palm down and stretch the head/ crack the glue before tuning..

I always tune my heads a third higher on the bottom heads for toms or until they sing without ringing excessively.. so I'd take it several steps further - but I can change a head on the fly and get any drum sounding awesome in 3-5 minutes.

.. but its a good starting point!
Old 09-18-2016, 06:41 AM

Thanks for the tips, SunDog and Thunder. I'll have to try one of those ideas. It's worth mentioning that for years, I played a snare with die-cast hoops, and this issue didn't bother me. Even though the tension rod near my rimshot would back out, I think the rigidity of the hoop kept the tension nearly the same. On the Ludwig (I guess triple-flanged), it causes a much more noticeable change in pitch and tone - a pain when trying to record it.
Old 09-18-2016, 07:45 AM
Platinum Member

I just made a ton of money selling my Drum Dial on eBay. 😎
Old 09-22-2016, 11:30 PM
Silver Member

I tried it the other night changing a tom head and it wasn't a replacement for ear tuning. Get's rid of the wrinkles sure.. but doesn't give you perfect pitch or tension. Still had to quickly tweak all the lugs to get them to sing.. but it's not bad as a starting point..

..then again I usually finger tighten all the lugs really quickly with two hands until I feel the tension evenly on each lug.. then start by half turns on each lug with a key (or sometimes full turns depending..). I'll stick with my method..
Old 09-25-2016, 05:41 PM

if the drums are in a basement then i would recommend a dehumidifier set to keep things at 60% .. this requires a permanent drain unless you want to empty the bucket on a regular basis.
Old 09-25-2016, 05:53 PM
Platinum Member

One trick I always use is that I turn the tension rods until the square tips are parallel with the hoop. I only tune in quarter, half, or full turns. That way, if a lug is detuning it is visually apparent very quickly, allowing me to correct it on the spot.