DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 02-26-2016, 02:01 AM

Default Have you ever had this happen in your band?

In two bands that I was in, we picked a couple songs to play only because we enjoyed playing them. We were almost positive no one in the audience would be familiar with them. Most of the set list was popular stuff, but everyone got to pick one song that they really wanted to play, popular or not.

On two occasions in two different bands, I saw two obscure, little known songs really bring the house down. This didn't happen every time we played these songs, but on a couple of occasions I was just totally shocked by the response of the crowd. Anyone else ever have this happen? What songs did it?

The songs that did this were "Come Along" by Salty Dog in one band and "Me And The Boys" by Thin Lizzy in another band.
Old 02-26-2016, 02:20 AM

Default Re: Have you ever had this happen in your band?

In my mid-80s original band we thought that we should do a real dance number. We wrote one that had all the right booty shaking current tricks. Including the kitchen sink. Everybody just stood there. Then when we played one song that was like psychedelic country western with a non-standard structure - some pretty drastic changes which usually is not good for the dancing - and the floor would just immediately fill up. I thought it was one of our best songs but danceable?
Old 02-26-2016, 10:16 AM
Silver Member

When my current band was rehearsing for our first gig we needed one more song to fill the time out. One of the band suggested Whole Lotta Rosie by AC/DC, a song that all of us knew and had played in previous bands. Even as a huge DC fan I'd had enough of the song having come out of playing it in my previous band for years, I also thought it was an unimaginative choice after we'd put so much effort into choosing the rest of our songs. But needs must. Nearly two years later and 'Rosie is still our final encore of the night! Lesson learned.
Sadly a lot of other stuff hasn't made the cut. With an age range in the band of close to 20 years you'd think that if most of us think a song might work then it probably will but that's not the case. I sweated blood over Heart's Barracuda for example and after half a dozen gigs of stoney faces we had to drop it.
Old 02-26-2016, 04:30 PM

Alas, no. I wish. The obscure songs that we've tried generally get poor reception and clear the dance floor. Even some songs are aren't obscure, but maybe lesser known do. And the standards (which some people may say are overplayed) are the ones that usually pack the dance floor. Maybe it's the kind of band we are. We get the best reception from songs like "Uptown Funk", "Brick House", "Shake Your Booty", "Give it to me Baby", "Funky Music", and the like.

When we introduced "Let's Dance" by Bowie a while back I expected it to fail. I know this isn't obscure, but nor have I seen it on the "bread and butter" set lists of bands doing what we do. However, the reception has been fantastic for this song.

But it seems that when we've tried lesser-known songs, or B-sides, we haven't had the same response as the tried-and-true A-side songs. I guess that's why they ARE A-side songs.

That being said, for you guys who have a great response to lesser known songs...all the more power to you! Awesome.
Old 02-26-2016, 04:40 PM
"Uncle Larry"

I feel the audience needs to be exposed to songs that aren't run of the mill. I feel it's our responsibility to raise the bar. When you hit on a good, but off the beaten path song choice for the crowd, it's a beautiful thing. You can't please everyone. But i'd rather see a band try and elevate beyond the PLAYED TO DEATH offerings that too many bands blindly cling to. As long as they are dancae-ble.

Mine is not a popular opinion it seems. With cover bands, most people prefer to play it safe with known but redundant song choices. No sense of adventure.
Old 02-26-2016, 04:53 PM

It seems to me that there are "standards", the kinds of songs that would be in what I think would be in a "Fake Book" if I remember correctly. I used to play in a band with my father when I was in my teens. Drums, keys, bass, guitar, vocals. We would play a lot of standards. This was back in the 80's. Back then, I think examples of standards included "Girl from Impanema", "Satin Doll", "Route 66", "Kansas City", and so on. There were classics that people (well older people anyway) knew and danced to and so on and weddings.

Maybe I'm drawing a false analogy, but it seems to me the "played to death" songs (say "Funky Music") are also standards of today. Most people know them and like them. When we play this bar in a college town, girls who weren't even born when these songs came out are on the dance floor, dancing up a storm to these songs. I'm guessing they hear them at parties, on TV shows like American Idol, on Glee, or wherever.

Personally, I'd rather have a bunch of people dancing and having a great time, and being asked back by the bar's owners, and getting hired for other gigs like weddings, than intentionally playing obscure songs that don't work for us, no matter how much we like them.

I'm tired of playing "Funky Music" at times, sure. I wonder if the standards bands of the past (or today) every got/get tired of playing "Satin Doll." We also have songs in our set list to break it up and have fun like "Bye Bye Love" by the Cars, for example.

Fortunately, I like the majority of our set list. If I couldn't stand playing the standards I wouldn't do it. I'm doing this for fun.
Old 02-26-2016, 06:20 PM

No one dances at rock gigs in London.

The best you get is guys with their arms crossed checking out your technique, tapping their foot, usually out of time.
Sometimes they headbang.
Old 02-26-2016, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwetschdwummer View Post
No one dances at rock gigs in London.

The best you get is guys with their arms crossed checking out your technique, tapping their foot, usually out of time.
Sometimes they headbang.
Good point! I keep thinking about this from a dance perspective since the objective at the places we play at is to get people on the dance floor. But yeah, of course, there are gigs that are about the music, not about dancing.
Old 02-26-2016, 07:37 PM
Silver Member

Wasn't my band but I was at a speed metal show and the opening band played original songs for most of their set but decided to close with "Highway Star". It had the floor absolutely packed despite the very young crowd (19-26 yr). Really was a joy to see so many people at a speed metal gig loving some classic rock.
Old 02-26-2016, 09:11 PM
Platinum Member

Don't discount the fact that the people playing the music were really loving the song. That is really infectious!
Old 02-26-2016, 09:54 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrummerCA35 View Post
It seems to me that there are "standards", the kinds of songs that would be in what I think would be in a "Fake Book" if I remember correctly. I used to play in a band with my father when I was in my teens. Drums, keys, bass, guitar, vocals. We would play a lot of standards. This was back in the 80's. Back then, I think examples of standards included "Girl from Impanema", "Satin Doll", "Route 66", "Kansas City", and so on.
Standards are usually defined as songs that work well vocally as well as instrumentally. You'll notice that there are many songs that only work as instrumentals, or as vocal tunes... they wouldn't be considered standards.

Most of the standards are from the golden age of American song: 1920-1950. At this time we had some of the best songwriters and lyrics writers crafting songs. There is nothing wrong with the pop music since, but the songs usually only work as vocal tunes.

As far as the OP: I'm not familiar with those tunes, but often times the audiences just looking for a catchy hook, so if those songs are catchy, it doesn't matter if it's familiar or not...
Old 02-26-2016, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcspears View Post
Standards are usually defined as songs that work well vocally as well as instrumentally. You'll notice that there are many songs that only work as instrumentals, or as vocal tunes... they wouldn't be considered standards.

Most of the standards are from the golden age of American song: 1920-1950. At this time we had some of the best songwriters and lyrics writers crafting songs. There is nothing wrong with the pop music since, but the songs usually only work as vocal tunes.

As far as the OP: I'm not familiar with those tunes, but often times the audiences just looking for a catchy hook, so if those songs are catchy, it doesn't matter if it's familiar or not...
Thanks for the info!

About a catchy hook, maybe also a catchy and/or known chord progression. For example, if someone played an "original" consisting of "those four chords" (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpB_40hYjXU) they'd possibly like the song right away.