DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Drums

Drums All about Drums and Drum Kits

Old 01-05-2019, 04:33 PM
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator

Default Re: Ludwig's new Signet 105 drum line!

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliedrummer View Post
Can you describe how you went about drilling the second hole? There doesn't seem to be much room for error so it's critical to get it right on the first attempt.
Let me emphasize that I weighed the decision carefully and repeatedly before proceeding, and was apprehensive even while doing it. I had considered finding a drum repair guy to use a drill press and make sure the holes were centered through the round leg. Even a slight variance would mean the leg would sit/clamp properly in the groove made for it. I went ahead with it because 1) I needed it for that night, 2) the original holes would remain intact so worst case scenario, the drum would just be at its original angle, and 3) I could always order another pair of legs from Ludwig. If I wasn't in such a rush, I absolutely would have taken them to a local machine shop or Pro Drum for guaranteed success.

But, here's what I did. First and foremost, drilling a 5/16" hole in a piece that's only slightly larger doesn't leave much room for error. You can see in the photo that there's a flat spot on the leg, so it's not like I had to start a hole at the apex of a round bar (although a drill press could easily have done that...) So I used a center punch to make an indent for the drill bit, to ensure that I at least started in the center.

Making sure the hole went directly through the center of the leg depends on the flat spot being absolutely level. A vice would help ensure that it's level and held firm, but I didn't use one. Why? Because there's no guarantee that a hand-held drill would be perfectly vertical in order to make a straight hole, and that's even more important than the hole being centered on the leg, because it affects how the leg slips onto the mount and tightens into place. In other words, keeping the leg locked into place wouldn't have made any difference, the hand-held drill was the real variable.

But I went ahead anyway, knowing that I wasn't going to ruin the original integrity of the leg.

I held the rod in place against a wood plank, drilled a 1/8" pilot hole, then the 5/16". I was slightly off-center on one, because the leg wasn't exactly at the right rotation to the bit, but I nailed the other. Somehow - and more importantly - the holes were also straight, and sipped onto the mount perfectly.

Basically, I got lucky. :)

I'd still recommend using a drill press if you have access to one, or just take it to a professional. That's what I'll be doing with my other Signet kick legs.

Bermuda
Attached Images

Last edited by bermuda; 01-05-2019 at 05:55 PM.
Old 01-17-2019, 02:53 PM
Gold Member

Local music store had a used Signet on the floor yesterday. I played it. They were tuned well. The toms sounded great tuned low they were very musical with a very round sound. And the kit looked great, too, with the tiny lugs, light color, and stripes.
Old 01-17-2019, 11:05 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattlin' Bones View Post
Local music store had a used Signet on the floor yesterday. I played it. They were tuned well. The toms sounded great tuned low they were very musical with a very round sound. And the kit looked great, too, with the tiny lugs, light color, and stripes.
Back when I had mine, I always got compliments on the sound and look. I regret selling it and I keep thinking about picking another one up. I might pick another one up if I find one for a good deal. I had an INDe (Josh Allen's company, the guy who designed the Signet) Kit for a while too, good stuff too.
Old 03-19-2019, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BertTheDrummer View Post
Back when I had mine, I always got compliments on the sound and look. I regret selling it and I keep thinking about picking another one up. I might pick another one up if I find one for a good deal. I had an INDe (Josh Allen's company, the guy who designed the Signet) Kit for a while too, good stuff too.
Hey there,
After couple of years and some unhappy drum purchases, I will have an in-depth test this week on the Signet at my Ludwig Dealer in Bangkok, Thailand.
They still have some in stock (after several years) and the deal might be interesting as I plan to pick a 14" on top of the 4 piece Tera kit (in Ebony).

I'll bring some of my own fav drumheads along with my electric wrench.

Loving what Josh is doing at Indé and the (late) choice of the Signet is not stranger to that. Light shell, low mass HW, sober finish, I dig it all.
Let's see what the Signet 109 (!) has to say.