DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 12-26-2013, 06:19 PM
Silver Member

Default I found Gadd's Chiropractor here in NYC!!!!

Went on a recommendation from a coworker to treat a numb right thumb tip. The Chiropractor's name is Jay Okin at 240 West 73rd st in NYC.He's know Steve for many years and treated his upper back problems - plus he told me some funny stories, they've been out of touch for a few years, but this dude treats pro drummers as well.

Today was my first treatment and I can already feel the difference. Highly recommended for any of you with pain and other physical ailments.
Old 12-26-2013, 07:11 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: I found Gadd's Chiroprator here in NYC!!!!

I can see it now. Steve Gadd walks in to the chiropractor's office...

Steve: "Hey doc, my famous New York Mozambique is suffering."
Chiro: "Hmm...sounds like a subluxation of T4 and possible lateral torsion of C2-C4."

My kit: http://drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44195
Old 12-26-2013, 07:31 PM
Platinum Member

Well my chiropractor doesn't treat any famous people but he has helped me tremendously.
Old 12-26-2013, 07:34 PM

I know chiropractors can be considered somewhat of a joke of the medical industry but I would still think they are bound to protect client privacy. They shouldn't be discussing any clients with anyone, let alone famous ones.

If he knows him personally outside of his practice and is sharing stories, that is one thing but he shouldn't be flaunting that he was a patient.
Old 12-26-2013, 08:54 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmiller598 View Post
I know chiropractors can be considered somewhat of a joke of the medical industry but I would still think they are bound to protect client privacy. They shouldn't be discussing any clients with anyone, let alone famous ones.

If he knows him personally outside of his practice and is sharing stories, that is one thing but he shouldn't be flaunting that he was a patient.
But...there is the "commerce" to attend to ya know! Everything in the name of commerce :-o
Old 12-26-2013, 10:31 PM
Silver Member

Quote:

That's exactly it, he is friends with him, he wasn't flaunting at all.
Old 12-26-2013, 11:16 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:

Nah, I see it as a bit of flippant conversation. Don't see much wrong with that personally. Just an off the cuff comment that identifies some common ground with a patient. He's hardly giving away intimate life secrets.
Old 12-27-2013, 03:49 AM

Quote:

Its unethical, not illegal. Im sure he didnt reveal any private medical information.
Old 12-27-2013, 09:59 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: I found Gadd's Chiropractor here in NYC!!!!

If you're a drummer there's no way you're free from back issues.

With you're spine professionally aligned its going to force you into redoing how you approach the kit ergonomically.

So be forewarned, most drummers do have horrible posture and all have back issues.
Old 12-27-2013, 10:10 PM
Renegade

In the 90s I had a bad neck problem so I went to a chiropractor. It got worse and worse to the point where I couldn't sleep. Not even Endone touched the sides. I was under pressure at work because my performance was going down. This went on the 8 weeks and things were going downhill rapidly.

Then someone recommended I see their physiotherapist. Within 2 weeks my neck was 100% pain free. Lesson learned.
Old 12-28-2013, 05:42 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:

It's fine as long as it dosn't involve medical records,or specific confidential information, which would be a HIPAA violation.

Steve B
Old 12-29-2013, 01:25 AM
Platinum Member

I've seen several chiropractors and physical therapists who have also treated famous drummers.

A few times it's just a coincidence, a few times because I knew that worked on a well known drummer, so they must be the person to go to.
Old 12-30-2013, 07:40 AM

Sorry this doesn't go with the "Steve Gadd" portion of the topic, but is a chiropractor something a lot of guys do? When I do a lot of practice, or gigs I tend to get a few aches and pains in my back. I think it has to do with me having poor posture - I usually have to lug my own equipment, and have a hard time sitting up straight at my kit.
Old 12-30-2013, 08:58 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthRocker View Post
Sorry this doesn't go with the "Steve Gadd" portion of the topic, but is a chiropractor something a lot of guys do? When I do a lot of practice, or gigs I tend to get a few aches and pains in my back. I think it has to do with me having poor posture - I usually have to lug my own equipment, and have a hard time sitting up straight at my kit.

The harsh reality is drumming while sitting and good posture don't go hand and hand. We're not designed to sit and move all four limbs independently while twisting at the torso.

If you don't work at it (good posture on the kit) you're on your way to back issues from playing the drums.

All the drummers you see with good posture work at it. Strengthening the core is a big one, strong core muscles are crucial to keeping your back straight.

Getting aligned once in awhile helps, tho if you're wack already it takes time to straighten things out, and a lot of conscious effort.

Altho a great drummer, Buddy Rich had horrible posture. There's many others, don't strive to be like them in that respect.

The first thing I look at is how a drummer sits and their posture as a result.