DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 06-15-2013, 03:57 PM
Silver Member

Default Anyone Use Ear Muffs? (Peltor)

For those of you who use ear protection onstage or when practising does anyone use Peltor ear muffs instead of plugs? I've been getting pains in my ears from what I'm presuming is plugs sticking into my ears and getting too close to the eardrum. I used the kids peltor muffs and they work great even though they aren't specifically designed for adults. Just wondering what models do the drummers here use?
Old 06-15-2013, 05:54 PM
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator

Default Re: Anyone Use Ear Muffs? (Peltor)

The Peltor products are really nice, I have a pair of the adult black/red muffs, I love the fit and isolation. That's also the model that the GK UltraPhones are made from (with Sony 7506 drivers installed) and I love the sound on those as well.

Bermuda
Old 06-15-2013, 06:49 PM
Silver Member

Thanks for the reply Bermuda. http://catalogue.3m.eu/en_eu/eu-ppe/...r_Muffs~nocode Are those the ones you are referring to?
Old 06-15-2013, 08:29 PM
Silver Member

I use the Vic Firth isolation headset, which is just a Pair of the Peltor ear muffs with a Vic Firth logo printed on them. It even has the embossed Peltor logo on them. If I would have known that before I bought them, I just would have bought the same ones from a hardware store for half the price.

They work great, though. Especially when I want to play along to a click or some music, I put some isolation ear buds in, and then put those over the top. It works better than any isolation or studio headphones I've ever used.

Definitely don't buy the Vic Firth ones, though. You'll pay twice the price for the same exact thing, but with a logo on them.
Old 06-15-2013, 08:54 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TColumbia37 View Post
I use the Vic Firth isolation headset, which is just a Pair of the Peltor ear muffs with a Vic Firth logo printed on them. It even has the embossed Peltor logo on them. If I would have known that before I bought them, I just would have bought the same ones from a hardware store for half the price.

They work great, though. Especially when I want to play along to a click or some music, I put some isolation ear buds in, and then put those over the top. It works better than any isolation or studio headphones I've ever used.

Definitely don't buy the Vic Firth ones, though. You'll pay twice the price for the same exact thing, but with a logo on them.
The Vic Firths are probably more expensive because they are muffs and headphones, the Peltors are just the muff part.
Old 06-15-2013, 09:40 PM
Silver Member

I use Peltor Optime II, excellent comfort and sound. I tried the Vic firth ones with headphones but they have foam touching your ears all the time and it gets really warm. Ear muffs with regular ear phones work better imo.

Old 06-15-2013, 11:09 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souljacker View Post
The Vic Firths are probably more expensive because they are muffs and headphones, the Peltors are just the muff part.
No, Vic Firth has a pair that are just the muff part as well. They are literally just Peltor Muffs with a Vic Firth logo on them

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/acces...lation-headset
Old 06-16-2013, 01:21 AM
Platinum Member

I've used Peltor Ear muffs for many years. They are great products.
The ones I have aren't as big as what is posted in this thread.

I got my son the JR. set of them, and they seemed great to me so I started using them myself (I don't have a huge head). They look just like the VF linked muffs in the last thread.

http://www.amazon.com/3M-Peltor-Juni.../dp/B000I7NX5E

Back when I got them, they didn't have "Junior" printed on them. I got them direct from Peltor too--these are a good price though.
I used them for band rehearsals, and regular foam insert plugs on gigs.

I use this product for everything now, http://www.earasers.net/ and am very pleased with them.
I've had them about a month, and have used them for rehearsals and home practice and love them. I used them on a gig for the first time this afternoon, and they were great.

It sounds pretty much the same as with nothing, but the volume is easily half as loud, but it's clear.
Very manageable volume on a rock gig, without a hum in your head afterward.
Old 06-16-2013, 10:49 PM
Silver Member

Thanks for the replies. Ordered these ones in the end.

Old 06-17-2013, 12:18 AM
Silver Member

Quote:

Good choice. You'll love 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlCrafton View Post
I use this product for everything now, http://www.earasers.net/ and am very pleased with them.
I've had them about a month, and have used them for rehearsals and home practice and love them. I used them on a gig for the first time this afternoon, and they were great.

It sounds pretty much the same as with nothing, but the volume is easily half as loud, but it's clear.
Very manageable volume on a rock gig, without a hum in your head afterward.
Thanks for the tip! I've been looking for something less bulky for shows that still sounds as good! I'll definitely order a pair
Old 06-17-2013, 01:27 AM
Platinum Member

I weat them but they isolate so much that I find that I am not such a gentle player after not hearing how hard I am hitting for a while. Not sure if you are an experienced player but I would be conscious of your dynamics. Just an observation I have made.

Going to get some custom molded plugs that offer 15-20dB reduction one of these days...
Old 06-17-2013, 11:53 PM

I use Peltor to rehearse in, although at times it can sound like I'm playing under water. Ise use plugs on stage though - Peltor's just don't quite have the aesthetics for wedding gigs.
Old 06-18-2013, 02:18 AM
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator

Quote:

Those are the ones, perfect choice!

Bermuda
Old 06-18-2013, 07:12 AM
Platinum Member

What is it like playing in those things? I would think the balance of the kit would sound really weird.

Because of my tinnitus I always have to use some protection unless it's a really quiet brushes/unplugged gig. Normally I have a set of Sensaphonics molded plugs with either ER9 or 15 filters in them. The other day I got called to a gig where the original guy was ill. I had traded cars with my wife (she was off with her ladies volleyball team a couple hours away) and my stick bag with the plugs was with her. I grabbed some spare sticks from the studio and some regular foam ear plugs I use when woodworking. It was really strange playing with the sound all muffled. For some reason I could hear the kick drum but not the bass player. And the snare sounded like a phone book while all the sound from the ride was gone unless I was on the bell.

I guess I can see if you just wanted to pound away and get a workout. But how do folks adapt to the difference in the sound of the kit? Just switching between the ER9 and 15 filters changes the sound enough to bother me.
Old 06-19-2013, 10:48 PM
Pioneer Member

I use the Vic Firth isolation headphones for practicing. Their sound is okay (not great) and they’re excellent for dB reduction.

I wouldn’t use them on stage though, because I find that a drummer wearing headphones is psychologically isolated from both the band and the audience. In other words, it looks lame and creates a bad vibe.
Old 06-20-2013, 10:09 PM
Platinum Member

I use a cheaper knock-off...but basically the same.

In-ear headphones underneath...great isolation/freq dampening is pretty even...and they stay in place even when I'm nodding in agreement with what I'm doing.

...and they cost about $6.00 when I bought them on sale at a hardware shop.
Old 06-26-2013, 10:30 PM
Silver Member

They arrived the other day, really like them. Quite comfortable. They look a bit ridiculous to wear in public though.