DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 03-24-2012, 10:39 PM

Default Any church drummer on this board?

Just wondering if any of you guys are "church drummers" and what experiences you have had, good/bad? I have been my church's full time drummer for about 2 years now and I have learned so much from this experience.
Old 03-24-2012, 10:48 PM

Default Re: Any church drummer on this board?

Been a church drummer for about 8 years or so. I am lucky because the other musicans in the band are very talented and we work together very well. Good points, a great way to share your musical talents (God given after all) and faith with others, some pretty good music out there in the contemporary Christian category.

Some not so good points, personalities are the same in ANY band, some of the more mainstream "Praise Songs" are boring to say the least.

Fortunately for me, a large percentage of our anthems/special music songs are originals to the band. I would classify the original stuff as Christian Rock and not Praise Hymns.

At the end, any chance to get to play with talented musicians is good, having the same values is even better.

Christian Drummers Army
Old 03-24-2012, 10:53 PM
Gold Member

I played for my university's chapel band until our student leader scheduled a practice on Super Bowl Sunday DURING the Super Bowl and went completely psycho when no one wanted to practice. Hateful emails, swearing on FB about the school, threatening to file a lawsuit for defacing their name when it was announced that they were kicked of the the praise band... It was stressful as heck being caught in the middle of that.

I tried to get everyone to practice at a different time and what happens? I was told I was "being a bitch" for trying to reschedule a practice.

We were the 'best' band on campus too.

Musically, I did my own thing and everyone was okay with that.
Old 03-24-2012, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOGdrummer View Post
Been a church drummer for about 8 years or so. I am lucky because the other musicans in the band are very talented and we work together very well. Good points, a great way to share your musical talents (God given after all) and faith with others, some pretty good music out there in the contemporary Christian category.

Some not so good points, personalities are the same in ANY band, some of the more mainstream "Praise Songs" are boring to say the least.

Fortunately for me, a large percentage of our anthems/special music songs are originals to the band. I would classify the original stuff as Christian Rock and not Praise Hymns.

At the end, any chance to get to play with talented musicians is good, having the same values is even better.
You are so right about the "God given talent" part! Of my 15+ years of drumming, I have never had so much fun drumming and also to have the privilege of getting to play with some grate talent. Most important to me is to be able to play for my church and my Lord.

We also play some contemporary Christian songs with some Hymns as well but overall I have a good time with them and put my own spin in the songs.
Old 03-25-2012, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trilogy72 View Post
Just wondering if any of you guys are "church drummers" and what experiences you have had, good/bad? I have been my church's full time drummer for about 2 years now and I have learned so much from this experience.
Since 1982.

I've been around the US and in several countries playing. Arenas, stadiums, coffee houses. Playing before thousands of people each week, often playing with some of the most amazing artists on the planet.

Its been the best thing in my life.

I am grateful every single day.

-Ken
Old 03-25-2012, 12:17 AM
Gold Member

I started playing in Church at age 13. The best times of my life have been surrounded with gospel music and working with a 50 voice choir. I have seen some crazy unbelievable stuff in my life traveling with this choir. I still play off and on at a very large AG Church here in Cali.

I have experienced the good, bad and the ugly. Mostly good. Music has a purpose and I am glad you are expressing your time and talent within that purpose.

The best thing that I have seen over the last 3 years is the use of Planning Center Online. IMO, It is the best way to manage music, musicians and scheduling for any Church Music Ministry.
Old 03-25-2012, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodiggie View Post
I started playing in Church at age 13. The best times of my life have been surrounded with gospel music and working with a 50 voice choir. I have seen some crazy unbelievable stuff in my life traveling with this choir. I still play off and on at a very large AG Church here in Cali.

I have experienced the good, bad and the ugly. Mostly good. Music has a purpose and I am glad you are expressing your time and talent within that purpose.

The best thing that I have seen over the last 3 years is the use of Planning Center Online. IMO, It is the best way to manage music, musicians and scheduling for any Church Music Ministry.
LOL.....Planning Center ROCKS!! I am on that just about every day to learn the songs for the following services and for scheduling as well.
Old 03-25-2012, 02:57 AM

I am..in a way. lol

Played alot last year when I did some missionary work in and around Alberta. But since then Ive been playing guitar. But I talked to my worship pastor about getting back behind the kit and hes down with working things out.
Old 03-25-2012, 04:24 AM
Platinum Member

I have played drums in two different churches' worship teams. I know that God called me to do that, and that has kept me going when I really did not want to do it anymore. I have been doing it for almost twenty years. It is much better now than it was a few years ago when we played the same thirty songs over and over. We play contemporary praise and worship. We have drums, bass, two guitars, and two keyboard players. One guitarist sings and is the leader, one of the keyboard players sings, and there are two to four other singers on Sunday mornings and Wednesday evenings. I am more into it now than I have been for years. Peace, goodwill, and blues.
Old 03-25-2012, 04:36 AM
Gold Member

I grew up playing drums in churches and youth groups, and still do on occasion! I love it, to be honest. The church I'm going to right now already has a drummer, so I fill in if he has to be somewhere, or if the band feels like switching it up. He has his own drums there, a Pearl Masters and some sweet K cymbals. Its always a pleasure to play on his setup, I never have to move anything or retune, some great sounding drums and pies!
Old 03-25-2012, 04:34 PM
Platinum Member

I have played drums (and bass, and percussion, and run sound) in four different churches over the last ten years. What I appreciate (besides the obvious reasons someone would play in church) is the opportunity it gives me to work on my chops as a session player in ever-changing musical situations. Every week the band is different somehow, and learning to work with that has made me a much more adaptable, flexible player in all aspects.

On a side note, I've never understood this "Gospel Chops" thing, nor have I ever really liked the idea of (anyone) taking a solo in church. That takes the focus to the band or the individual player, which is precisely where it's not supposed to be. Play for the song, and for the feeling... that's my credo.