DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 07-31-2011, 09:12 PM

Default Video camera to record with?

The process of micing, doing all those tracks and porting and all that stuff doesn't seem to interest me. For recording, id much rather use a video camera. Simple, easy, and it records the true to life sound. I've heard many people do quality recordings on youtube with nothing more than a video camera and a good amount of skill. What are some cameras that can handle drums well to record with that doesn't cost a new mortgage worth of money? Any video examples with a suggestion would be nice if possible...thanks.
Old 07-31-2011, 09:25 PM

Default Re: Video camera to record with?

I use Zoom Q3 to record my vids. It's cheap (95 euros) and it works great even if the video quality is not that amazing (it's not in HD).
Old 07-31-2011, 10:10 PM
Platinum Member

Zoom now makes the Q3HD, which is a supposedly high definition camera. Here in the states they go for about $300. I really like the audio the Q3 produces, it's probably the best one in the price range.
Old 08-01-2011, 09:07 AM

If you don't care at all (and I mean at all) about video quality, get the Zoom Q3. It records really well. If you do care about video go with the Q3HD (which records audio just as awesome as the Q3) and record in a room with good lighting. Hope this helps.
Old 08-01-2011, 05:38 PM
Platinum Member

lately i've been using my panasonic lumix dmc zs7 camera to record performances. this is just a regular camera, not a video camera, but it is still able to shoot hd video (at 720 pixels). the best thing about it is it records very decent audio. most cameras, even video cameras, have no gain limiter so loud music comes out very distorted, but this camera automatically adjusts the gain so loud music is not distorted. here's an example of a video i shot of my drum teacher playing a solo:

http://youtu.be/i5yt25qwAcI
Old 02-22-2012, 06:45 AM
ankaka
This message has been deleted by ankaka.
Old 02-22-2012, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dairyairman View Post
lately i've been using my panasonic lumix dmc zs7 camera to record performances. this is just a regular camera, not a video camera, but it is still able to shoot hd video (at 720 pixels). the best thing about it is it records very decent audio. most cameras, even video cameras, have no gain limiter so loud music comes out very distorted, but this camera automatically adjusts the gain so loud music is not distorted. here's an example of a video i shot of my drum teacher playing a solo:

http://youtu.be/i5yt25qwAcI

Thanks for sharing it. You did a good job!
Old 02-22-2012, 10:54 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by randrade89 View Post
If you don't care at all (and I mean at all) about video quality, get the Zoom Q3. It records really well. If you do care about video go with the Q3HD (which records audio just as awesome as the Q3) and record in a room with good lighting. Hope this helps.
I just bought the Q3 and recorded the band last week. The video is fairly grainy, but I only want the video it to post to YouTube or Facebook. I'm more concerned with the audio, which appears to be much better than what I recorded with my Zoom H2.