DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 12-20-2011, 04:28 AM

Default Blues Brothers

I just purchased the Blues Brothers "Briefcase Full of Blues" and Steve Jordan sounds great! Anyone know if Steve plays on any other of the Blues brothers albums?
Old 12-20-2011, 04:35 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Blues Brothers

From what I understand that was all he did, the drum chair went to someone else for the movie and subsequent albums. If you know your Saturday Night Live history, that band was mostly made up of the guys that played on Saturday Night Live back then. And that particular concert was recorded in L.A. as an opening act for comedian Steve Martin. Shortly after that Steve Jordan turned up on the Late Night with David Letterman show for several years. I'm a fan - I played that vinyl record until you could see through it ;)
Old 12-20-2011, 04:43 AM
Platinum Member

Oh hell yeah! What a great record! Steve Jordan also plays with Keith Richards X-Pensive Winos on the album Main Offender, but I haven't heard it.

If you haven't heard Try! (John Mayer Trio live album), you really should. World class grooving all over that one!
Old 12-20-2011, 04:49 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentcn View Post
Oh hell yeah! What a great record! Steve Jordan also plays with Keith Richards X-Pensive Winos on the album Main Offender, but I haven't heard it.

If you haven't heard Try! (John Mayer Trio live album), you really should. World class grooving all over that one!
That John Mayer album surprised me - and I admit I bought it because Steve Jordan's and Pino Palladino's names were on the cover. As big as John Mayer is, I'd never heard of him. I was pleasantly surprised. I understand Keith Carlock is in the John Mayer drumseat now, yes?
Old 12-20-2011, 04:55 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentcn View Post

+1, +2, +3, +4!!

Played on (and co-wrote most tracks on) both of Keef's X-Pensive Winos albums (Main Offender and Talk Is Cheap....plus the live album, Live At The Hollywood Palladium).

And of course, I'll second the John Mayer Trio's, "Try!". A very bluesy effort from Mayer, with both Steve Jordan and Pino Palladino at their best........the rhythm section from hell!!

Pure, unadulterated groove!! If anyone ever wants to know what "in the pocket" means......I give you these two cats as a living example.
Old 12-20-2011, 06:18 AM

Yea I have the Try album... I love it. I read an article where he says that he is purposely playing less fill and more groove. He is the MAN!
Old 12-20-2011, 06:41 AM
Silver Member

Steve Jordan played on Briefcase, and then on Made in America, and I believe one other one. Willie Hall played a few tunes on Made in America, and then I think he took over.

Then Danny Gotlieb played on Red, White, & Blues and toured with them for a bit.

Carlock toured with them for a while, Anton Fig recorded the soundtrack to the second movie, and I believe he toured with them for a minute.

Keith Carlock also played in The Nuff Brothers, which was a side project by Lou Marini, and a handful of other Blues Brothers members are on that.

Currently, and for the past seven or eight years my uncle, Lee Finkelstein, has been their live drummer, and I know they've done tons of live recordings, but I don't think they were made into LP's or albums or anything like that.

Any other questions I can pass them onto him..
Old 12-20-2011, 07:06 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ?uesto View Post
Steve Jordan played on Briefcase, and then on Made in America, and I believe one other one. Willie Hall played a few tunes on Made in America, and then I think he took over.

Then Danny Gotlieb played on Red, White, & Blues and toured with them for a bit.

Carlock toured with them for a while, Anton Fig recorded the soundtrack to the second movie, and I believe he toured with them for a minute.

Keith Carlock also played in The Nuff Brothers, which was a side project by Lou Marini, and a handful of other Blues Brothers members are on that.

Currently, and for the past seven or eight years my uncle, Lee Finkelstein, has been their live drummer, and I know they've done tons of live recordings, but I don't think they were made into LP's or albums or anything like that.

Any other questions I can pass them onto him..
Is your uncle the drummer on the "Toronto Rocks" DVD from 2004? Dan Ackroyd and Jim Belushi and the band were billed as the "Have Love, Will Travel Revue." I've wondered who the drummer is, but couldn't find a credit anywhere. Great band, and I love the drumming!
Old 12-20-2011, 07:36 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDDrummer View Post
Is your uncle the drummer on the "Toronto Rocks" DVD from 2004? Dan Ackroyd and Jim Belushi and the band were billed as the "Have Love, Will Travel Revue." I've wondered who the drummer is, but couldn't find a credit anywhere. Great band, and I love the drumming!
I believe he was. I remember him telling me something about that, but I can't remember if he said he played it. He's asleep at the moment, but I'll find out tomorrow.
Old 12-20-2011, 07:40 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I believe he was. I remember him telling me something about that, but I can't remember if he said he played it. He's asleep at the moment, but I'll find out tomorrow.
Dude wake him up NOW!

;)
Old 12-20-2011, 06:57 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDDrummer View Post
Okay, I spoke with him this morning, and he was not. He started playing with them very shortly after that, but it was Tony Braunagel on Toronto Rocks.
Old 12-20-2011, 08:46 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Okay, I spoke with him this morning, and he was not. He started playing with them very shortly after that, but it was Tony Braunagel on Toronto Rocks.
Cool, thank you for checking!
Old 12-20-2011, 09:27 PM
Pollyanna's Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Eder View Post
I understand Keith Carlock is in the John Mayer drumseat now, yes?
That's sounding very promising, Keith Carlock is a monster... :)
Old 12-20-2011, 10:31 PM
Silver Member

Carlock is on tour with Steely Dan right now, and will be through 2012. I think John Mayer Dropped him not long after picking him up. Keith is the man, but is way overqualified for that gig, in my opinion.