DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 10-13-2010, 02:13 AM

Default Hearing Protection

Hey everyone! I got Vic Firth isolation stereo headphones like a month ago. And their great, but i have one concern. The bass from the set seems to get through more than higher pitched noises like the crash. This probably mostly comes from the toms, not really the bass drum. Do you think its still a safe sound level? I play maybe an hour a day tops, spread throughout the day. Im just curious since it seems pretty loud. Thanks in advance.
Old 10-13-2010, 02:33 AM

Default Re: Hearing Protection

I have those headphones as well and have noticed the same thing. I only use them whenever I need to play along with a track and always wear my musician ear plugs as well when doing that.

Any hearing protection is better than no hearing protection though so you're definitely headed in the right direction! Try experimenting with some foam earplugs and wear those when you're not using the Isolation Headphones to play along with a track and see what works better for you.
Old 10-13-2010, 02:39 AM
Platinum Member

Those types of headphones are modeled after shooter's headphones. The whole idea was to save your ears from the high crack of a gun shot. The low frequencies are not as damaging to your hearing to begin with. What you want to be careful with is not turning the music you're playing through them too loud, because now it's right at your ear and no where to go. You can run the risk of damaging your hearing more this way.

I've never used the Vic Firth 'phones, but I do use the GK UltraPhones which is an actual shooter's headphone by Peltor - these cut the outside sound down to -26dB.
Old 10-13-2010, 03:04 AM

Bo, those GK UltraPhones work really well too!

SergiuM, I don't know how much you're looking to spend on hearing protection so I didn't mention it at first...but the musician ear plugs that I use are AMAZING. They're a little bit pricey (around $150) and require two audiologist appointments, but they are worth EVERY penny.

They are custom molded to your ear canals and have three different filters that you can switch in and out (5db, 15db, and 25db). I use the 25db for everything including playing drumset, teaching drumlines, playing in ensembles, etc and they are excellent in every situation. The best part about them is that the filters are designed for musicians so instead of cutting out frequencies like the foam earplugs or headphones, they just reduce the volume of all frequencies. The sound I hear is as crystal clear as it would be without any hearing protection - it's just quieter.

If you plan on drumming for a while I STRONGLY suggest getting a pair of these. They're one of the best percussion related investments I've made - especially since hearing damage is irreversible and these things will last forever!
Old 10-13-2010, 04:00 AM

Thanks for the replies. Well, the reason I bought them in the first place was because I mostly play along to music (its more fun for me i suppose) and i wanted to protect my ears. I always make sure that the music im playing isn't too loud, so thats not a huge issue. I still think their fairly safe, as i dont play very long sessions with them. And $150 is a lot!
Old 10-13-2010, 04:09 AM
Platinum Member

I had the VF's for a few months when I started, but I never liked them for the same reasons you mentioned, plus they were uncomfortable, bulky, and i hate coiled cords. I got some Etymonics 6i's and love them. They're $60-70 (so barely more than the VFs), isolate a lot better, they're more comfortable and less bulky. They have interchangable eartips; i prefer the foam ones.

For an example of the isolation difference: with the VFs i'd have my metronome's volume at 10 when i played, with the etymonics i have the volume at 5.5. It is still true, as far as I can tell, that they block more highs than lows, but they block more overall so whatever.
Old 10-13-2010, 04:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuo View Post
I had the VF's for a few months when I started, but I never liked them for the same reasons you mentioned, plus they were uncomfortable, bulky, and i hate coiled cords. I got some Etymonics 6i's and love them. They're $60-70 (so barely more than the VFs), isolate a lot better, they're more comfortable and less bulky. They have interchangable eartips; i prefer the foam ones.

For an example of the isolation difference: with the VFs i'd have my metronome's volume at 10 when i played, with the etymonics i have the volume at 5.5. It is still true, as far as I can tell, that they block more highs than lows, but they block more overall so whatever.
Wow! they have 35-42 dB of isolation? thats pretty awesome
Old 10-13-2010, 12:56 PM
Gold Member

lower sound wavesor bass waves travel further because they are a bigger wave and they can do a fun thing called "diffraction" which basically means what i just said.

your bass drumisn't getting to through your headphones because you have probly muffledit and there fore it isn't going to be as loud. ALSO the bass drum isn't pointed upwards towards you.

one more thing: the cochlea looks like this

basically your high end hearing goes first (20khz) so the higher end will damage your ear MUCH more than the lower end.

how do i know this? i've studied music for a few years now - including an OH&S corse telling me ALL about hearing protection.
Old 10-13-2010, 02:05 PM

Thanks for the reply uniin, thats good information. So the higher sounds do more damage, correct? Do you think those lower ones would do something to you?
Old 10-13-2010, 02:24 PM

Hey SerguiM,

Not sure if your in the US? but I use ear protectors from Home Depot- cost about $7-12.

They are the large muffler type and just put in ear headphones underneath them when I want to listen to something and drum-

Same idea as the Vic Firths just cheaper and I have no issues with anything bleeding through
Old 10-13-2010, 03:40 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SergiuM View Post
Wow! they have 35-42 dB of isolation? thats pretty awesome
I believe so, that's probably with the foam eartips that I use. They come with 2-3 other types of rubber eartips that isolate less (but maybe sound a little better?). The rubber ones irritated my ear canal though so I stopped using those... Plus you can order replacement eartips and other, non-standard sizes/types, for relatively cheap ($14-15 for a 5 pack).
Old 10-14-2010, 01:37 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SergiuM View Post
Thanks for the reply uniin, thats good information. So the higher sounds do more damage, correct? Do you think those lower ones would do something to you?
yes higher end does more damage. all lower end frequencies ever do to me is make me a little bit dizzy if it's a good 4~5 hours of a bass player who doesn't turn down. sometimes a head ache.
Old 10-14-2010, 02:03 PM

Okay thanks. Yea, then I'll just continue to use the vic firths i have then. I dont have any side effects after drumming (like ear ringing). Maybe one day ill get some Etymonics but for now, the Vic firths will do.
Old 10-15-2010, 11:00 AM

Thanks for the tips guys, I am planning to buy one since I am just starting to take drum lessons. My tutor also told me to wear one when practicing.

Last edited by psylocke24; 10-16-2010 at 12:15 PM.
Old 10-17-2010, 01:36 PM

Has anyone tried the Metrophones? How is it?

http://www.bigbangdist.com/metrophones.htm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3yzBbIUePQ
Old 10-23-2010, 10:30 PM

I have the Firth phones. Good isolation but the tightness wears on you after a while. Bass not very good - miss most of the kick. High end not great but helped big time by removing one for the foam pads and then thinning out the other.
Old 10-24-2010, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspired Drummer View Post

SergiuM, I don't know how much you're looking to spend on hearing protection so I didn't mention it at first...but the musician ear plugs that I use are AMAZING. They're a little bit pricey (around $150) and require two audiologist appointments, but they are worth EVERY penny.
What make are these?
Old 10-24-2010, 07:25 PM
Gold Member

In my opinion, the safest way to go with hearing protection is in-ear plugs. It seems like more of a direct, 'snug' form of protection to me. Someone correct me if this seems like a misconception.

That being said, cheap $10 rubber plugs hurt like a b_tch after a while of using them.
Old 10-24-2010, 08:15 PM

I'm a big fan of the Hearo's Hi-Fidelity inner earplugs. They don't muddy up the sound like the foamy plugs do.
Old 10-24-2010, 08:22 PM

I quite like my Howard leights, they cut off about 21b of sound, I can still hear my drum kit althought I get no high end sounds, its great hearing protection that only cost me 7.

What I also did was take apart my old Senheissers and put them into the Howard Leights. They make great alternatives to Vic Firth Studio Headphones.