DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 07-22-2010, 10:56 PM
Hitman

Default How to silence cymbals in video shoot?

Is there a way to quiet or silence the cymbals for a video shoot, of course the trick is to make it look like there is nothing on them.

Thanks!
Old 07-22-2010, 11:04 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: How to silence cymbals in video shoot?

clear tape?

That's my only thought.
Old 07-22-2010, 11:08 PM
Platinum Member

When most videos you see on TV are shot, the sound of the performance isn't recorded, only the video. The band plays along to the backing track for accuracy of performance, but the sound is not recorded at all. Then the music is dubbed in as the lone audio track. So it would make no difference whether not your cymbals were somehow muted.

But from the way you ask this question, I sense that maybe you are doing something different ...? In that case I would say you're out of luck. Guns don't fire silently, and cymbals always make sound unless you do something visible to deaden them.

The only alternative I would suggest is to use a plastic practice cymbal, or a metal-apearance electronic cymbal. But even these will make a faint "click" or "thwack" noise as you play them, and are not strictly "silent" - although they would definitely not be audible over guitars.

I guess my point is, your question is a little confusing, could you please clarify?
Old 07-22-2010, 11:47 PM

I think what he's saying is that it would be much easier on everyone's ears during a shoot if the cymbals were muted. Obviously you can mute your drums so that they are practically silent, but cymbals are another story. I've wondered this myself actually.
Old 07-23-2010, 12:11 AM
Gold Member

If you have enough cymbals,you can double up on each stand.
Old 07-23-2010, 12:27 AM
Silver Member

Alparrot.

He'd be filming it exactly as other music videos are shot. But i had the some trouble at first with my bands video because it was harder to hear the, already loud, backing track while shooting. The cymbals were drowning it out.
The filming process would be roughly the same regarding this particular problem.

xoxo
Old 07-23-2010, 12:58 AM
Platinum Member

@Scott: Ahhhhh, got you. Don't have a great answer for that. Darn drummers and their loud noises. Where do they get off...
Old 07-23-2010, 01:11 AM
Hitman

Yeah, so my problem is that the track we are listening too is already loud and like PeniScott said, the cymbals are drowning the backing track and there are certain things I'm listening for that are my queues. I'm missing some of my queues because I can't hear the track over the loud cymbals.

We're going to try doubling up the cymbals, but:
1. I'm afraid to damage my cymbals which are expensive as we all know.
2. I think there will be loss of movement on the cymbals so it won't look natural on video.

I was also thinking of using in-ears with the backing track, but my in-ears are black and they stand out too much....
Old 07-23-2010, 03:17 AM
Platinum Member

Only advice I can give you is to put some extra speaker wedges just outside of the camera shot and blast 'em.
Old 07-23-2010, 04:39 AM

Hitman, you're in Riverside. Call Drum Doctors or SIR (and maybe Drum Paradise - I never called them) in LA. Rent a set of video-dead cymbals from them.

Or double up your own cymbals. As long as its two of the exact same cymbal, it'll be invisble and especially on crashes, you won't be able to tell - the movement will still look right.
Ride cymbal will be stupidly dead of course and like playing on a manhole cover.

Note that these won't KILL sound, there's an obvious metallic "thonk" when you hit them. But it'll kill sustain for sure.
Old 09-07-2010, 06:05 PM
Hitman

Hey guys, for those that are interested, we finally got our video done and this is what I did to quiet down the cymbals so that I could hear the backing tracks.

Very simple, and like some of you suggested I doubled up on the cymbals. My singer is also a drummer so he brought his cymbals to the set, and I played with different sizes until I figured out what worked for me.

I used smaller cymbals underneath the cymbals I wanted shown on the video. for example, I used a 13" hi-hat cymbals under my 16" and 17" crashes. I used a 16" crash under my ride, etc...

I originally tried stacking cymbals of the same size together but that didn't work, you could make out the two edges of the cymbals when you hit them so using smaller cymbals worked best, they tuck underneath the bigger cymbals and you can't tell at all unless you find yourself filming from the bottom up in which case just put the smaller cymbals on top.

This worked for me, and I found that by using the smaller cymbals the loss of motion after the cymbal is hit was minimal so it still looks natural.

The ONLY down side, was that I broke a couple of sticks, most likely because the cymbals got a bit rigid, but other than that it went well.

FYI,
G
Old 09-07-2010, 06:21 PM
Platinum Member

A lot of bands tend to use tape i think. It also helps if you're having problems with endorsement deals because you can cover up the logos!

EHs Music Facebook Page
Old 09-09-2010, 07:08 AM

Only pretend to hit them ??.....Like pulling a punch.

Dan
Old 09-09-2010, 03:27 PM

I haven't tried it, but how about scotch taping some pieces of cloth (old shirts or towels) to the underside of the cymbals? I would think, like a drumhead, it would choke it but because you don't have anything keeping it from moving naturally it'll look normal on the video. I wouldn't think it would take much either, maybe a couple of 4x4 squares on opposite edges? I would be a little skeptical to stack cymbals on cymbals if you're trying to keep from damaging them.
Old 09-10-2010, 01:52 AM
Platinum Member

Every video I have done we just let the cymbals fly natural and I play with in-ears so I can hear the audio. Most of the time I would play my whole kit open and didn't do anything to it, but two of the videos I did this year we use mutes on the snare, kick and toms. We still let the cymbals go.

I have thought about doing getting the video cymbals from SIR the only problem is they dirty and nasty, and it would take forever to clean them up. Plus with the price it cost to rent them for a day the production teams don't ever want to fork over the extra chash...
YouTube
Old 09-10-2010, 03:58 AM

Mouse pads! cut them to fit the striking areas of your cymbals,you can use glue dots to secure the pads to cymbals.I use this "method" with my practice kit.Really keeps the sound down.
Old 09-10-2010, 04:08 AM
Crazy8s

While this doesn;t really apply to the OP inquiry, there is a very good way to completely shut up any cymbals for practice. Cheap too.

Get t-shirts and cut them across the width at about 4" intervals to make circles and then wrap them around the edge of the cymbal and tape them on, You will need about 3 or 4 layers of cloth. Crash cymbals move exactly as they do unmuted and they barely make a sound. For the ride cymbal and hihat top, just put the cloth circles around the edge and then tape mousepads on them. You can of course cut the mouse pads to desired shape.

It will cost you less than $5 at a Goodwill or probably free if you have the stuff laying around.
Old 09-11-2010, 06:49 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ Morse View Post
Mouse pads! cut them to fit the striking areas of your cymbals,you can use glue dots to secure the pads to cymbals.I use this "method" with my practice kit.Really keeps the sound down.
But then you have an ugly mouse pad on your cymbals and that looks bad in a video.
YouTube
Old 10-13-2010, 11:55 PM
Hitman

Hello everyone,

Thanks again for all your input on this.

Here is the final video for those of you that are interested.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFklD3qwguM

G
Old 10-24-2010, 07:07 PM
Gold Member

I know this is an old thread but when I came across the Foo Fighters Video for Pretender I remembered reading this thread about using two cymbals for a video shoot. Check out how every cymbal is double stacked.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBjQ9tuuTJQ

Just goes to show you how simple the magic of video can really be.