DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 10-06-2018, 03:36 PM

Default New "quiet" drum kit !

After some hard thought and a little help from several DW members I think that I may have made a very good decision :-D
Contemplated financing e-Drums and with similar funding this was more of a sound choice and conducive to my needs.
It is soo great that I can have a full acoustic kit to practice on that pretty much mirrors the other kit at the studio.
Everyone is happy at the homestead without any law enforcement at the front door. Just got to get it out of the middle of the Living room, ha!

Old 10-06-2018, 03:49 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: New "quiet" drum kit !

You've got the quiet Zildjian cymbals, but what heads did you use to quiet down the drums?
Old 10-06-2018, 04:01 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbill View Post
You've got the quiet Zildjian cymbals, but what heads did you use to quiet down the drums?
https://remo.com/products/product/silentstroke/
Old 10-06-2018, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbill View Post
Yes, as Mr. P has posted.
I have done the research and discovered that Remo does not manufacture 26" heads as they only offer up to 24", but found that Pintech Reaction is very similar in design and am having good results.

....hey!? I'm missing the Zildjian L80 China ! :-O
Old 10-06-2018, 04:47 PM
Platinum Member

Can people at the homestead still hear you at all when you play?
Old 10-06-2018, 05:34 PM
Silver Member

Nice looking drum kit. Good to have something to practice on without getting too loud.
Old 10-06-2018, 06:24 PM

Good stuff! In my opinion, much better than an e-kit, particularly in terms of feel (especially the low volume cymbals) and the general spacing of the drums and cymbals. I pretty much had the same setup at home until I moved everything to our rehearsal space.

Have you considered adding pick-ups to the drums and cymbals?

I notice the low volume splash - what size is it?

And do they make a low volume china?
Old 10-06-2018, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by opentune View Post
Can people at the homestead still hear you at all when you play?
Yes, they are still subjected to my crappy playing, but seriously they are less loud than a television or some computer speakers based on ones attack and style of playing/music.
To somewhat offer an answer to your question; when there are opportunities of having no one around to disturb, and it is possible, then you could play at any time in the A.M. if desired.
Old 10-06-2018, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Way Jose View Post
Nice looking drum kit. Good to have something to practice on without getting too loud.
Yes ! Thank You, kindly.
I realize that not everyone is fortunate enough to have another kit lying around, but this is such a great concept that one could purchase an inexpensive or used kit, then accessorize it.
No problem playing in the A.M., too! Fun stuff!
Old 10-06-2018, 10:18 PM

Congrats! I've been using a low volume Silentstroke/L80 kit for a few years now, and it has worked great for playing and practicing without annoying the neighbors.

One thing I would recommend adding to your kit are these rubber rim protectors. They'll greatly soften any rim shots, which becomes especially apparent when playing with Silentstroke heads. I have them on every drum, except of course the kick ;)
Old 10-09-2018, 12:38 AM
Gold Member

Congrats on the kit. Really nice. And equal congrats on getting the Silentstroke. I noticed those in my local GC a few years ago and decided to rehead my kit using Silentstrokes. Never been happier. Great low volume alternative.

I messed up my left technique (traditional grip) using those rubber drum head mutes after playing on them for a while. After putting on the Silentstrokes my left hand technique has greatly improved.
Old 10-09-2018, 02:31 AM
Gold Member

Curious to know- how do these Silentstrokes actually sound?
Is it just like hitting your normal A-drums only much softer and how does the feel compare to mylar heads?
Old 10-09-2018, 03:17 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddmc View Post
Curious to know- how do these Silentstrokes actually sound?
If you leave the reso heads on, they sound like a normal drum. Just with a huge reduction in volume.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddmc View Post
Is it just like hitting your normal A-drums only much softer and how does the feel compare to mylar heads?
Sound wise, yes. Feel wise, alas not. Their only drawback IMHO. They are exceptionally bouncy and not much like a real head at all......even with a slack tensioning.

But neither is a practice pad, or neoprene Sound Off mute, or any other of the practice aids we use as a substitute to the real thing. None of them can accurately portray the feel of a drum head either. It's a trade off. Anything but the real thing always is to some degree.

Whilst they might not feel much like a real head, their value far outweighs this slight drawback as far as I'm concerned. They allow me to practice when I otherwise wouldn't be able to. So far, the best substitute to the real thing I've been able to find.
Old 10-09-2018, 05:32 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocket-full-of-gold View Post
If you leave the reso heads on, they sound like a normal drum. Just with a huge reduction in volume.

Sound wise, yes. Feel wise, alas not. Their only drawback IMHO. They are exceptionally bouncy and not much like a real head at all......even with a slack tensioning.
Well now you've got me intrigued (thanks for the info by the way).

I've used mesh heads on my e-drums for years (which people always say are too bouncy) but I honestly don't mind them so don't think that would be a problem.

I guess my next question is- would you be able to jam with another person (ie electric guitar/ bass) with these or are they way too quiet for that?
Old 10-09-2018, 08:30 AM

I also use the Silentstroke's and the L80's at home and they far surpass any electric kit IMO. I have taken off the reso heads, cut a big hole in some old Pearl Protone heads and put those on the reso side to further reduce noise issues. Works like a charm now. I also play with hot rods and that seems to dampen some of the 'bounce' in the heads. Ideal for practicing some parts and fills!
Old 11-03-2018, 02:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatdat View Post
Good stuff! In my opinion, much better than an e-kit, particularly in terms of feel (especially the low volume cymbals) and the general spacing of the drums and cymbals. I pretty much had the same setup at home until I moved everything to our rehearsal space.

Have you considered adding pick-ups to the drums and cymbals?

I notice the low volume splash - what size is it?

And do they make a low volume china?
China, Yes they do ! :-D

& Yes, that is a 10" splash.
Old 11-03-2018, 03:21 AM
Silver Member

For the bouncy snare Silent Stroke head alternate route:

Just put an Aquarian Super Pad on top of your regular snare drum head and presto, instant volume reduction, pretty realistic snare bounce and enough snare sound remaining to feel it on most levels of playing.
Old 11-03-2018, 08:27 PM
Platinum Member

Nice setup! I have the same kind of setup except on an old Pearl Export with Pearl mesh heads and the L80 hats and ride only. I might pick up a crash at some point but I'm not crazy about the crash sound. A little too gongy for me but the ride and hats are great for quiet jazz independence practice.
Old 11-13-2018, 09:32 PM

For those of you who have used these products, are they suitable for gigging, in situations where the volume is a concern? I have a couple of gig venues where I have to really work on keeping it down, and I'd love to not have that as a concern.

(yes, I'd love to go try them for myself...nearest location that might stock them is at least a 2.5 hour drive away)
Old 11-13-2018, 10:04 PM

Where are you located at BruceW? I just put a set on one of my kits (along with Ddrum triggers).
PDP A to E w/Yamaha Electronics
Old 11-13-2018, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rikguy33 View Post
Where are you located at BruceW? I just put a set on one of my kits (along with Ddrum triggers).
Hi... I'm a bit off the beaten path, Bangor, Maine. :)

There are a couple of fantastic drum shops available to me, one in Portland (2ish hours drive) and one in Portsmouth, NH (2.5-3 hours drive) away. My local music store has had the low volume Sabians before, I haven't checked recently. Pretty sure there won't be anything with those heads near me either.
Old 11-14-2018, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceW View Post
Hi... I'm a bit off the beaten path, Bangor, Maine. :)

There are a couple of fantastic drum shops available to me, one in Portland (2ish hours drive) and one in Portsmouth, NH (2.5-3 hours drive) away. My local music store has had the low volume Sabians before, I haven't checked recently. Pretty sure there won't be anything with those heads near me either.
I'm in central PA. Not quite close enough neighbors for you to stop by and try mine out.
PDP A to E w/Yamaha Electronics
Old 11-14-2018, 03:02 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
For those of you who have used these products, are they suitable for gigging, in situations where the volume is a concern? I have a couple of gig venues where I have to really work on keeping it down, and I'd love to not have that as a concern.
The heads are not. The hihat and ride could be used, but they won't sound very good.
Old 12-09-2018, 02:09 PM

I decided to change out the ported reso head on the kick drum to see if I would have more contol over tuning, and it worked! On the previous head, the (4") port allowed too much air to escape and caused annoying overtones from the 26" shell. I could not get any real definition, but now that the head is solid, I can get the head to tune to any note within range. Lots of fun stuff to practice! :-D
Old 12-09-2018, 06:16 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:

(yes, I'd love to go try them for myself...nearest location that might stock them is at least a 2.5 hour drive away)
As earlier posted, the heads will only work if you put triggers on the drums. They really are quiet. The best analogy I can give you is like the slight 'boing' you might hear bouncing a tennis ball on a tennis racket. They barely push enough air for the bottom heads to activate.

The L80 cymbals don't project enough tone to be playable without (again) triggers. They are similar to the gen16 cymbals without the trigger component. You might instead look at Sabian's FRX line, which are made to cut out some of the higher-pitch frequencies that make cymbals overpowering.

I've found single-ply heads and practice, practice, practice are the best recipe for low volume playing.
Old 12-09-2018, 08:39 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
For those of you who have used these products, are they suitable for gigging, in situations where the volume is a concern?
NO!!!

They feel decent, that's all.

I have no doubt that someone will eventually use them as an effect, a stack or use the hats for something, though.
Old 12-09-2018, 09:10 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
..For those of you who have used these products, are they suitable for gigging, in situations where the volume is a concern?..

In my opinion that depends on what you consider 'suitable'..

But, basically on a very low volume gig, even playing only on a wooden chair with a pair of brushes can be suitable..

Everything has sound (a wooden chair has actually quite a few) and you can decide yourself if those sounds are 'suitable' or not....
Old 12-09-2018, 09:43 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimzo View Post
I decided to change out the ported reso head on the kick drum to see if I would have more contol over tuning, and it worked! On the previous head, the (4") port allowed too much air to escape and caused annoying overtones from the 26" shell. I could not get any real definition, but now that the head is solid, I can get the head to tune to any note within range. Lots of fun stuff to practice! :-D
Interesting! Thanks for posting this. I'll try the same on my 22".