DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Technique

Drum Technique Tips - Tricks - Practice - Rudiments - Educational DVDs & Books.....

Old 10-28-2016, 12:58 AM

Default Hand independence exercises for the practice pad?

I've been working on independence exercises for the kit but I notice my hands have an issue when I play a lot of notes with my left on the snare my right hand joins in. I have not been able to find good lessons for just hand independence that I can work on.

Anyone know any or have links to good lessons?
Old 10-28-2016, 07:34 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Hand independence exercises for the practice pad?

Same crap without the feet?
Old 10-28-2016, 02:22 PM

have a look to the polyrhythms they will be really helpful for your playing and you can execute them with only a pair of sticks and a pad.

A book that I can suggest you is Dante Agostini's "Solfiege Rhythmic" great book for this particular purpose and for getting better at reading music in general, that will keep you busy for quite a bit!
Old 10-28-2016, 04:22 PM
Gold Member

The last section of my book Stick Technique is devoted to two hand coordination using lots of common ostinatos, nevermind all of the "rudiment builders" where the lead hand starts and then the other hand gradually coordinates its parts with it. I'm sure your hands will dig that. :)
billbachman.net
Old 10-28-2016, 04:39 PM
Gold Member

Rudiments are meant to do that in a foundational way.

I love the Ted Reed Syncopation book. I use that in all sorts of ways, but you can use that with just your hands, and go through the exercises.

For me, I'll just pick two limbs at random and go through the exercises, so I can get all 4 limbs independent. Or sometimes I'll play a swing ostinato with my right hand, left foot, right foot. And use the left hand to play the exercises.

While I'm partial to that, really any drum book can work the same, just mix up the limbs.
Old 10-28-2016, 04:55 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcspears View Post
I love the Ted Reed Syncopation book. I use that in all sorts of ways, but you can use that with just your hands, and go through the exercises.
Yep. I did a lot of playing Syncopation alongside ostinatos, or reading the two lines with different hands, etc. Seems to work with my students as well.
Old 10-28-2016, 06:26 PM

I'll second the recommendation of Bill's Stick Technique book and the Syncopation book, and add two more: Advanced Techniques for the Modern Drummer by Jim Chapin, and Modern Approach to Independence by Nick Ceroli (see a sample page of the latter here: https://www.steveweissmusic.com/prod...rumset-methods). I own but haven't worked out the Ceroli book, but it looks interesting, and is different from the ostinato-based methods. I've worked out of the Chapin book with just my hands a lot, and it's great. One benefit the Chapin book has over some other methods is that he has analysis on how the hands line up, which could be helpful. Also, the exercises have varied accents, which can help with phrasing (as well as with hand technique). I would suggest that on the 8th note section you first practice the exercises using straight 8th notes in the jazz ride pattern (1, 2 and 3, 4 and) rather than using the written dotted 8th note/16th pattern...this will make the exercises more practical for actual performance.

Oh, I just remembered one other great resource: Claus Hessler's "Freak Moeller" exercises from his Drumming Kairos DVD. Great hand independence exercises (and very applicable to performance) using accented Moeller strokes in combination with free strokes.
Old 10-28-2016, 08:40 PM

Thanks guys lots of great stuff to look in to here!