DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Technique

Drum Technique Tips - Tricks - Practice - Rudiments - Educational DVDs & Books.....

Old 09-21-2016, 12:53 PM

Default hurt my hand wrist - Exercises help?

Hi there,

So after playing a week ago at lunch time, I felt at night my hand wrist was hurting. The next day I used a wrist band to try to play again and still my wrist was hurting. I rested for two days without playing and on the third day it felt more okay. I rested again for more two days and after another day the pain came back.

Now today I'll see a doctor for my issue.

Probably is my technique which I was really trying to play it loose and notice if I was doing something wrong. The song I was trying to play was really most of the time on the ride cymbal with my right hand.

Until I cure my hand wrist, I want to still train something on my drum set. I'll try to play mostly on the kick, but does anyone knows any exercises to play ONLY with your weaker hand (in my case my left hand)? I cannot play with my right hand which I suppose will be like this for a while...

Thanks

Last edited by Cave; 09-21-2016 at 01:12 PM.
Old 09-21-2016, 02:46 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: hurt my hand wrist - Exercises help?

Do you experience the same pain, when you play around on a practice pad?

Tough to say anything about technique being the cause without a video. Are your hats set real high? Maybe lower them or move to the opposite side of the kit and see if there's any improvement. You obviously won't be able to work the pedal, but worth experimenting.

I use to do endurance racing and can tell you without a doubt, you're the best judge of what you're doing wrong than a doctor. Unless of course spurs or something of that nature are the cause.

As for excercises, simple, play the hats with your left hand. Not on a left handed kit, but as it sits. This will do two things. Train your left hand up and if you absolutely can't play the hats with your left, ability aside...I'm referring more to positioning, you may have discovered a positioning issue.

When I switched things around, I discovered I was bending my left wrist more than I should have and had to move my hats down and forward. It was a bit awkward at first, but can now do things I struggled to make sound right previously.

Just some ideas....Good luck.
Old 09-21-2016, 05:09 PM
savage8190

Sorry about the wrist...I have bad wrists and if I'm not really careful with my technique they are shot. I can tell you what I do, which may or may not help you...first I only play German grip...it's the easiest on my hands. Super light touch is important, the sticks should almost be sliding out of your hands. If you injured your right wrist evaluate what it is doing differently than the the left. My right is injured right now too, I noticed I was twisting it a bit to hit the high hats, that needs correction. Evaluate your technique when you are hitting the ride. If it doesn't hurt say, when you're hitting the snare, move your hand from the snare to the ride without adjusting your grip or wrist angle...how does that position compare to how you normally play the ride?

Finally, don't use it till it is completely healed! Test it out once in awhile, but don't push it, you'll just make it worse. Take this opportunity (as I am right now) to put in some solid work on your bass drum technique. I have been working on slide, heel toe, heel up, heel down...my bass drum technique has gotten ten times better in the last few weeks. Use some patterns to work both your feet (stick control works well for this), or just keep time with your left hand and work on different beats. Once your wrist starts feeling better slowly work back into it. Mine is now on the mend so I like to play simple 8th note rock beats and try to sub in doubles with heel toe or slide for all the single bass drum hits...it's a workout for your foot without being to strenuous on your hands.

Good luck!
Old 09-21-2016, 06:14 PM

Thanks for the input.

It just started to hurt last week, so playing on the pad will also hurt. I was training a song, a part with the ride and toms, where my right hand was most of the time, so I believe I gripped in a wrong way or with bad technique that damaged my wrist. So even after resting for 2 days it came back and now is even worst, I really need to rest my wrist and seek medical advice on it.

I guess I'll be trainning on the heel-toe technique which I wanted before and now have the perfect excuse to work on it and will compliment it with playing only my left hand on the hats and snare also.

My question was the exercises I see regarding trainning the weak hand always envolve using also your dominant hand, I wonder if there are any where your dominant hand is never used on an exercise (like if you had a cast or something...)

Thanks.
Old 09-21-2016, 09:31 PM
Platinum Member

Hurting tendons is easier than one would think. They don't get much blood, so they heal slowly. I would think weeks rather than days. If your wrist isn't tingling or numb, there's likely no nerve damage. That takes way longer to heal.

I had to switch to German grip a while back as well and moved my ride ride over the bass drum when I started having issues with my right wrist doing higher rate patterns. That helped with the discomfort, but had to move my 8" tom off the the left of HH or leave it off. I know, big problem! Just saying sometimes it's nothing more than moving a few things around to resolve a condition.
Old 09-22-2016, 06:09 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cave View Post
I wonder if there are any where your dominant hand is never used on an exercise (like if you had a cast or something...)

Thanks.
That's entirely up to you. You can make your own permutations on established exercises to accommodate your situation. You could substitute a foot for your incapacitated hand and work on some combinations like that. You could just work on endurance and timing exercises as well. You could even work on whatever exercises you usually do and just rest where you would normally play with your right hand.

Be creative, make your own solution.

You may also want to seek an instructor or friendly drummer in your area for some person to person assessment of what in your technique is causing your physical problem.
Old 09-22-2016, 04:01 PM

Thanks once again.

Yesterday I went to a doctor and he told me to put ice on it. I explained what were the movements I was doing and he realized where the issue was. He told me it was over effort on that wrist area that was causing the pain (it is on my right wrist on the upper side of my hand just where the thumb meets the wrist). I have an ultrasound this next Monday and based on the results he can evaluate if there is any major damage or not. I also saw a chiropractic friend that told me that sometimes it can take about three weeks to heal at least 80%.

I've been filming myself to evaluate my progress on the past months, and in my last video (about two months ago) I was practicing this song for about a month without any issue or pain:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OB0EAhYQEZQ

It seems that on my right hand I'm using a weird French grip, but it just felt right while I was playing... It felt natural and loose without any big muscle effort. Is this a grip I should avoid? Should I be trying to use only American grip on my right hand? From what I can see this rotation of my right wrist is where the pain is right now. But it never hurt before. Does anyone grip like that? I'm doing everything wrong?

The only thing I changed that could be the cause of injury myself was the position of the ride. Instead of being like it was on that video, I lowered it and flattened it to be more on my right side and just above my floor tom (vs being tilted and higher and between my mid and floor tom like on the video). I guess that might had force me to bend my right wrist even more...

Any ideas?

Thanks.
Old 09-26-2016, 12:14 PM

Well, I guess you get to be Rick Allen for a day
Old 09-26-2016, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake943 View Post
Well, I guess you get to be Rick Allen for a day
Right now it's been more than one day... :)
Old 09-26-2016, 06:16 PM
savage8190

Watching your video now...your hands look very rigid and it looks like you've got a death grip on those sticks. You've got to loosen up and utilize the bounce of the stick. I would also suggest trying a German grip. Google it.

If you want a really detailed explanation of good grip I suggest you grab a copy of "Great Hands For a Lifetime" by Tommy Igoe. It helped me immensely.

Give yourself a good month to heal. Sounds like we have the same injury right now...mine has just been around forever and comes and goes. I took 2 weeks off, thought I was better, and one practice session later I'm back to square one.

Another thing to try that my instructor suggested is hold your stick in your normal grip...then take your other stick and hold it against your arm and down your thumb...it should all be straight and touching the stick. If it's not you are angling your wrist too much and it's causing tension. Should be super relaxed and natural feeling...
Old 09-26-2016, 08:05 PM

Well the ultrasound didn't found anything out of normal and I do feel better but won't be pushing until I give some more time. I really need to take more attention to my grip in the future and try not to rush everything up when I'm still not prepared to... it will only do more damage than good...

I already have the great hands from tommy but didn't made too much advance on it yet...

Thanks for all your inputs
Old 09-26-2016, 10:18 PM
savage8190

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cave View Post
Well the ultrasound didn't found anything out of normal and I do feel better but won't be pushing until I give some more time. I really need to take more attention to my grip in the future and try not to rush everything up when I'm still not prepared to... it will only do more damage than good...

I already have the great hands from tommy but didn't made too much advance on it yet...

Thanks for all your inputs
You don't have to go through the whole DVD to reap the benefits. Just watch the first section on grip and single rebound strokes. That alone made my grip much better and increased my speed.