DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 06-26-2016, 01:28 AM

Default First time auditioning: what should I play? What to expect?

Hey guys!

I need an advice. My college is hosting an audition soon, we don't have any details yet but apparently they will be looking for musicians for a new band, TV show, etc. Thing is... I have been playing drums for 9 years now BUT this will be my very first audition so I don't really know how to prepare or what to expect. I have to be honest: I play a lot of cover songs and I'm a self-taught drummer, never had any drum lessons so let's say I only know how to play songs by ear (fail, I know :/)

My question is: should I get ready to play cover songs I have been playing for 7-9 years (so I know how to play them pretty well) but they are not like... let's say, Dream Theater or Dragonforce OR should I try to impress everyone and try to learn some "crazy" songs?

Sorry if this thread/question is ridiculous but like I said, this will be my very first audition and I feel lost :(
Old 06-26-2016, 01:34 AM
Gold Member

Default Re: First time auditioning: what should I play? What to expect?

Contact the band leader and get a list of tunes they play. Rehearse them diligently. Then audition.
Old 06-26-2016, 02:47 AM
Alex Sanguinetti
This message has been deleted by Alex Sanguinetti.
Old 06-26-2016, 09:13 AM
Platinum Member

Agree /\

Being able to play by ear, easily recognise a groove and quickly come up with a good drum part is not a "Fail" its a gift. Dont let that put you off at all, hard work adaptability and talent will take you a long way.
Old 06-26-2016, 07:21 PM
Gold Member

Don't think flashy.. think solid and groove.. at least thats how i would approach it..
Old 06-27-2016, 03:10 PM
Gold Member

Do you know what material they will be playing? If not, do you know what style of music the band is going for? If so, then play the songs/styles that make sense for the group

You say that it's for a College TV Show, is it going to be like the Tonight Show band, where you just play vignettes as intro/outro music? If so, then you need to show that you are flexible, adaptable, can keep time, and play several style fluently.

It sounds like you need to find out a little more about the gig before you plan out your audition. See if you can get more information, and cater your audition to the gig, rather than trying to show off chops or play something that you are comfortable with.

This is the same as applying for jobs. You cater your resume and cover letter for the job, you don't just have a standard resume that you send to everyone.