DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 05-29-2015, 04:54 PM

Default I believe!!!

So I'm out on a date with the lovely girlfriend. Strolling around Manhattan looking at shops and stuff for her. After shopping for hours she turns to me and says we can go into Guitar Center since I've good to her the whole day. YAAYY ME!

So I make a beeline straight to the drum section. Made a left and boom! I check out the snare wall. I see a Ludwig Supralite with a clearance tag and figured why the hell not? So I set it on a kit and tried it out.

Now I'm far from superstitious but WOW!!! This snare had some serious Ludwig mojo going on. I couldn't believe the sound from just a steel snare! I didnt get to fiddle much with the tuning but that Stock Ludwig head was great. I bought it right then and there.

Fast forward the next day, and I got to really test it out. Switched heads and slapped on a Remo Controlled dot and wow. A perfect marriage. A steel 14 x 6.5" snare that sounds crisp and loud! The crack is amazing. I actually tuned it nice and low. Fat sound right? WOW! I was blown away. I always hated that fat old sound but this totally changed my mind. Such a versatile snare for sub-$200.

I now believe in the Ludwig mojo.
Old 05-29-2015, 05:14 PM

Default Re: I believe!!!

I'll be in the market for a new steel snare soon. You may have partially sold me, my good man. I say partially only because I haven't heard it for myself. Wonder if it's on clearance online...
Old 05-29-2015, 05:20 PM

Right on man. I actually briefly compared it to a tama starclassic steel right next to it. I preferred the Supralite, it had a little bit more throatiness. Not too much ring as well. I go for that nice crisp crack sound. Ill try to upload some video of me playing it later tonight. Honestly if you are looking for a steel snare, this is it. Might not be the best ever, but for my ears and needs, this fits well. I tuned this with a drum dial set around 86-87.
Old 05-29-2015, 05:25 PM

Duly noted, thanks brother. I need crisp crack, since my low end Tama steel lost its mojo. I've tinkered with everything including tuning, heads, hoops, strainers, wires, even switching from straps to string, and nothing is working. Just a buzzing trash can. I'll definitely give the Luddy a look or two.
Old 05-29-2015, 05:30 PM
Gold Member

I just bought the Ludwig 6X13 Supralite because I had an experience like yours. It was love at first sight. (On sale for $159 at GC.) I just figured that once I got it home and on my set that the love would fade and I would return it. Nope. It sounded even better in the context of my kit. I expected that this drum would be all crack and no body, but that is not the case. It has a full palette of tones to be explored - plus the hair-parting crack!

GeeDeeEmm