DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 03-25-2015, 07:48 PM

Default Being offered a position you don't really want, but could be an experience?

I was emailed earlier by a guitarist from this Sludge/Doom band named Grief. He and fellow band mates formed a new band called "Come to Grief" named after Grief's century media release in 1994. Which I guess is a big metal record label.

His message said "We're playing a full set of Grief songs, and working on new material as well. We're called "Come to Grief" after the 1994 Century Media release. Basically all we're waiting for now is a drummer who is committed to this project so we can start playing shows, but we do have one show booked for August in Oakland so by all means, we're trying like hell to fill the vacant drum slot before then so we can make sure that can happen! But like I said, besides that we're hoping to get out and start playing shows as soon as possible, long before August, and we're about read to, we just need a drummer. Our set will primarily consist of songs from Dismal and Come to Grief, but has a couple more from later on in the Grief discography as well. Anyway, if you think this is something you're interested in being a part of, get back at me asap and we'll take it from there. Below, I'll list links to the songs we're currently working on. There are also a few more on deck to get to work on, too, but this is what we're on right now."

I replied that I couldn't make the commitment of touring because I have a full time engineering job.

so he replied with "Bummer man. Sounds like you would've been a good fit. Just to clarify, we don't have any actual touring plans in the forceable future. The show in August is a one off gig, that we're co-headlining; they're flying us out for that, so it's no money out of our pockets. At most, we might (might) play a couple shows on either end of that Oakland date, but as of yet, nothing other than "possibly" has been addressed. But besides that, as it stands right now, collectively none of us have the ability for tours, or anything other than local shows within the New England area. We certainly want to play shows, but as it stands right now, we've got one week in August that all of us are able to travel to play due to various job, family, or any other commitments."

here is a link to a song of there's: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYbgg_9YUZs&authuser=0

To be honest, its not entirely the music I like to play. I'm currently doing a more progressive alt rock band now and even though we dont play out often, it gives me satisfaction.

Should I email them back asking what their guarantees are? Or kindly decline all together?
Old 03-25-2015, 08:13 PM
Matt Bo Eder

Default Re: Being offered a position you don't really want, but could be an experience?

Just to be the artist with a capital 'A' that I am, I'd at least check it out. The commitment thing is always wonky because they're talking about August, and we're in March. Anything could happen before then, and probably will. I'd say yes, and see how hard they're really working on this project. If I really liked them I'd stick it out and see where it goes. If it doesn't work out, it's not like they couldn't find another guy to play their music in a short amount of time.

It's always weird when people talk about commitment to the band - if you really wanted my commitment, then put me on retainer and pay me so much a month for being there, eh?
Old 03-25-2015, 08:22 PM
Gold Member

Default Re: Being offered a position you don't really want, but could be an experience?

Funny, I had just read this craigslist ad too. The ad seemed fairly non-committal, jmo.
Old 03-25-2015, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
Funny, I had just read this craigslist ad too. The ad seemed fairly non-committal, jmo.
After speaking with him it seems it. I just don't think I'm interested in playing that style of music anymore.
Old 03-25-2015, 08:48 PM
Administrator - Mayor

Two things stood out reading this post. Committed to the project, and a position (I) you really don't want. You really don't like the music, so in my best advisory mind I would say don't bother. They lose time and you lose time, when they could be looking for someone who can committ.
Old 03-25-2015, 08:50 PM
Gold Member

Bo Eder kinda nailed it with the whole "retainer" thing. But on the other side of that is that "one thing leads to another" in a sense that you may open some doors that you thought would not open for you.

This is a really weird business, this music thing.

Best Regards,
Bill Ray
http://billraydrums.com
Old 03-25-2015, 09:04 PM
"Uncle Larry"

There's a sub genre of music now called Sludge?

How appealing lol. What's next, bloody pus?
Old 03-25-2015, 09:10 PM
Platinum Member

Man, that stuff is really slow. I saw the oakland thing and love me some sludge so almost had an idea of ringing them, but that's just too sludgy even for me. I'd need to break that up with some faster stuff.
Old 03-25-2015, 09:25 PM
Matt Bo Eder

I didn't even see what they were calling this music. Sludge? It sounds interesting. Who are the big name artists playing Sludge Metal? I'd like to check that out. Is it like slow Meshuggah? Or super-slow Nile? That would mean it dips out at 120 bpm? Just kidding. Really though, who are the name purveyors of said genre? It could be metal I might be able to play ;)
Old 03-25-2015, 09:32 PM
Platinum Member

Sludge, doom, what have you. It's really slow kinda metal type stuff. Heavy distortion, super low BPMs. May or may not include cookie monster singing.
Old 03-25-2015, 09:49 PM
Matt Bo Eder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Watso View Post
Sludge, doom, what have you. It's really slow kinda metal type stuff. Heavy distortion, super low BPMs. May or may not include cookie monster singing.
I checked it out online, interesting. It's a lot like Black Sabbath playing even slower. Maybe that's why I liked it a little more than the newer metals floating around ;)

A guy like me could actually play that stuff with a single bass drum ;)
Old 03-25-2015, 09:58 PM
Platinum Member

I gave that song a listen.

If ever there was a song crying out for some chimes (OK, and some tasteful gong application), this has to be it!
Old 03-25-2015, 10:09 PM

I weighed out my options and talked to the guys.

At their age, they have families and jobs so touring would be a once a year thing a week or two at most..

I can get behind that.

They are headlining that fest in August, so if it goes well I can get my rock stardom out of the way before I'm 30.

If it doesn't interfere with my job and my current band then what's the big deal right?
Old 03-25-2015, 10:27 PM
Silver Member

I'll just add this. My son is in a music conservatory. One thing they are taught and preached at constantly, don't say NO when offered a playing opportunity. If you are able to do it, look at it as a job and take it. It may open other avenues for you as Billy Ray pointed out earlier. My own kid was in a Bassoon Rock Band of all things. He played on tv on the local newscast with them. All because he didn't say no.
Old 03-25-2015, 10:49 PM
Matt Bo Eder

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearblastbeats View Post

At their age, they have families and jobs so touring would be a once a year thing a week or two at most..

I can get behind that.

They are headlining that fest in August, so if it goes well I can get my rock stardom out of the way before I'm 30.

If it doesn't interfere with my job and my current band then what's the big deal right?
There you go. You're at least checking it out more and it's looking positive! One of the Sludge bands I looked up on YouTube (Iron Monkey), their drummer only played a four-piece. I'm liking this genre more and more ;)
Old 03-25-2015, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Bo Eder View Post
Really though, who are the name purveyors of said genre? It could be metal I might be able to play ;)
Acid Bath, Crowbar, Down, EyeHateGod, etc.

Then you could get crazy and get into sub genres like Stoner Sludge (ie Bongzilla, Electric Wizard, Torche, Weedeater) and even my favorite, KYLESA.

Another neat band to check out is called Baroness, which is like sludge/Progressive Metal. They have a lot of solo type shredding guitar parts.

If you want to check out a more Sludge/Drone band, your best bet is to listen to Boris. Most of their older stuff summarizes the genre pretty well.

Last edited by JacobDB; 03-25-2015 at 11:10 PM. Reason: Spelling.
Old 03-25-2015, 11:09 PM
Platinum Member

Who doesn't like BONGRIPPER!!!?

Reptilian mindlessness, it doe's change your consciousness tho. You don't listen to it, it slowly unfolds in lower specters (sludge) of your mind.
Old 03-26-2015, 12:53 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:

I can get behind that.

I haven't read any posts past this, but GOOD FOR YOU! I was going to suggest you check it out and if it's cool, go for it!

My motto has always been to try as much stuff as possible, within reason of course. Heck, my main instrument is guitar forever and I only switched to drums a few years ago. I'm loving it.
Old 03-26-2015, 03:43 AM
Platinum Member

Sometimes slow is awesome.

Man I love the way he plays.
Old 03-26-2015, 04:46 AM
Platinum Member

That song sucked. I'm sure doom has come a long way since 1994, that band hasn't.

Imagine listening and charting their back catalogue, that would be some kinda hell for me.
Old 03-26-2015, 05:01 AM
Pioneer Member

If you can see yourself adding something to the drumming, contributing to writing, and playing some larger shows I say go for it.

I answered an ad and joined a band not knowing they had several releases for the past 2 decades, a nice cult following, and solid band leader. I wasn't that keen on the music but after giving it a chance I enjoyed it and saw the potential for fun gigs.

So far we've played some awesome shows, recorded new material, and talked to fans from around the world that are just superb people. Got to play with Masked Intruder and Mr. T Experience, I never would've expected that from a CL ad.
Old 03-26-2015, 12:50 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Re: Being offered a position you don't really want
If I don't want it, then I do not pursue it.
Old 03-26-2015, 01:25 PM
Platinum Member

I'd say at least check it out, Dan Weiss played in a metal band for a while!

Boris is pretty awesome, heavy friends!!! \m/
Old 03-26-2015, 03:08 PM
Gold Member

Personally, if you don't want it then I feel it would be quite selfish to go for it and deny someone who DOES want it and really can commit fully to it.

Just my personal view.

Last edited by SquadLeader; 03-26-2015 at 05:25 PM.
Old 03-26-2015, 05:09 PM
Gold Member

Did anyone else notice how wildly the tempo varied from the beginning of the referenced track, to the end? Certainly became less sludgy as the song went along.
Old 03-26-2015, 06:08 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
Did anyone else notice how wildly the tempo varied from the beginning of the referenced track, to the end? Certainly became less sludgy as the song went along.
Sludge doesn't always have the same consistency. Maybe the room warmed up a bit and it started to flow quicker.
Old 03-26-2015, 06:36 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.Underhill View Post
Sludge doesn't always have the same consistency. Maybe the room warmed up a bit and it started to flow quicker.
:D well played!

Old 03-27-2015, 02:31 PM

After listening to their stuff for the past two days, It's begun to really grow on me. I am actually pretty stoked to have this opportunity and still be able to do my other stuff on the side.

This song is tough: http://www.youtube.com/attribution_l...eature%3Dshare
Old 03-27-2015, 03:04 PM
Platinum Member

That band is pretty awful. No guitar solo? C'mon, where's the "wow"?
I hate the Human Race too, but that doesn't mean I have to play angry music to complain about it. Haha! :)

A lot of kids eat this depressing crap up. I wouldn't pass it up if I really wanted to play some drums and there was nothing else available.
Old 03-27-2015, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnite Zephyr View Post
That band is pretty awful. No guitar solo? C'mon, where's the "wow"?
I hate the Human Race too, but that doesn't mean I have to play angry music to complain about it. Haha! :)

A lot of kids eat this depressing crap up. I wouldn't pass it up if I really wanted to play some drums and there was nothing else available.
Different strokes...
Old 03-27-2015, 04:15 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
For me, there are three factors I consider when offered a gig:

1. The Quality of the Music/Musicians
2. The Hang
3. The Money

If a gig promises 3/3, drop everything, jump on board and hang on for dear life. If it's got 2/3, it's usually a go but only if it isn't going to totally screw up something else I value. If it's a 1/3, it's still possible, but that one thing better be pretty damned good. I mean, if in some alternate universe Keith Jarrett calls tomorrow offering a charity gig, I'm not going to pass it up because he's a weirdo.
Old 03-27-2015, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomka View Post
For me, there are three factors I consider when offered a gig:

1. The Quality of the Music/Musicians
2. The Hang
3. The Money

If a gig promises 3/3, drop everything, jump on board and hang on for dear life. If it's got 2/3, it's usually a go but only if it isn't going to totally screw up something else I value. If it's a 1/3, it's still possible, but that one thing better be pretty damned good. I mean, if in some alternate universe Keith Jarrett calls tomorrow offering a charity gig, I'm not going to pass it up because he's a weirdo.
Well for that list.

1. the music to me isn't terrible. I've played in all types of grind/doom/sludge/tech/metal and what have you bands.

2. Not sure what you mean by hang, as in maybe hang out? The guys seem cool. They're a decade older than me and have toured and done the rock star thing. It'll be all new for me.

3. So far from my understanding is that, they will be flown out and back for free. Compensation is not much or anything at all. "Regarding compensation, yes, I'm pretty sure we'll actually be getting paid to play due to our association with Grief; at the very least, our travel expenses will be covered, but hopefully we'll be paid whenever we play beyond just expenses."

Regardless, sticking it out to play this fest in august, networking, having exposure. that seems pretty legit.
Old 03-27-2015, 06:01 PM
Platinum Member

Yes, "The Hang" refers to time spent together pre-post-between gigs. This can be especially important when considering tours. A poor paying gig with good musicians who are fun to hang with is a more likely "go" than a poor paying gig with with good musicians who are jerks.

Last summer, I took an extended gig that was largely for the money and not the music. The hang seemed pretty good at first, though I did have some misgivings about one member early on. Eventually my relationship with that particular band member made the hang crappy despite some aspects of the hang being awesome. Bad music + bad hang + okay money = 1/3. I won't be doing that gig again.

It's not foolproof, but it hasn't failed me as a starting point.