DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 08-01-2014, 07:17 PM
Gold Member

Default Science finally proves drummers have different brains than the rest of the band

I have always had my suspicions and now I know.

http://www.aux.tv/2014/05/drummers-brains-different/
Old 08-01-2014, 07:23 PM
Administrator - Mayor

Default Re: Science finally proves drummers have different brains than the rest of the band

So we should be allowed then to tap out fingers in class as it proves to be a positive brain function and a segue to learning

Last edited by GruntersDad; 08-01-2014 at 10:56 PM.
Old 08-01-2014, 07:30 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Science finally proves drummers have different brains than the rest of the band

.yenolab eb dluoC .siht tuoba erus oot ton m'I

Old 08-01-2014, 07:50 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRUNTERSDAD View Post
So we should be allowed then to tap out fingers in class as it proves to be a positive brain function and a segway to learning
you mean 'segue' not 'segway'. I made the same mistake for years until most recently.

'segway' are the 2-wheeled, self-balancing, battery-powered electric vehicle for lazy folks who don't walk around cities anymore

drummers- i think we all know how great their brain function is. Question is , why do they typically seem to 'get' what a band means more than any other member?
Old 08-01-2014, 09:57 PM
"Uncle Larry"

I love studies that prove how awesome drummers are. Musical time is a pretty hard thing to get right IMO. Not everyone has "it". The beginning of the article implies, that despite our "uncanny" abilities, that we still have to reign in the fills and keep on pace though. Backhanded compliment sort of.
Old 08-01-2014, 10:51 PM
Silver Member

I am always skeptical of pop psychology studies like this. I am imagine that we could prove that the brains of saxophonists or pianists are different, too. Few people are going to poo-poo a study that says good things about their in-group.

My first question is how tight is the correlation? Is it truly predictive? And finally, is it causal? (i.e., does a different brain wiring lead you to the drums or does playing drums rewire your brain?) Besides, one study does not a theory make.
Old 08-01-2014, 10:58 PM
Administrator - Mayor

Quote:
Originally Posted by opentune View Post
you mean 'segue' not 'segway'. I made the same mistake for years until most recently.

'segway' are the 2-wheeled, self-balancing, battery-powered electric vehicle for lazy folks who don't walk around cities anymore

drummers- i think we all know how great their brain function is. Question is , why do they typically seem to 'get' what a band means more than any other member?
corrected and thank you. That was my non-drumming brain typing
Old 08-01-2014, 11:17 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
I love studies that prove how awesome drummers are. Musical time is a pretty hard thing to get right IMO.
Agreed. i have to admit though, the test is a funny one. if I'm focussed on a groove or my mind is deep into it, I would not want to answer questions for some scientific survey. I mean not many of us talk when we drum right?
Old 08-01-2014, 11:46 PM
Silver Member

Music cures my ADD, I can be totally unfocused at work or around the house but when I slap a pair of head phones in I'm totally focused and generally more productive.

I've also found that when I'm thinking about something or problem solving I instantly start tapping out a rhythm while I think. It's not conscious anymore and I always end on a fill haha.

Quote:
Question is , why do they typically seem to 'get' what a band means more than any other member?
It's possible that as drummers we have the roll of being the anchor or foundation in a song, (it's rare that we aren't) so we're more intune with everyone elses parts revolving around us. We can see the whole picture/ the whole band working as one piece. Your sticks are the guitarist's picking, your kick drum mimics the bassists playing and you have to make sure you listen to the vocalist so you don't play a fill over them. Muscially we have to really pay attention to the other bandmembers and it really crosses over to the personal side of things too.
Old 08-02-2014, 02:55 AM
Silver Member

bull squirt bull squirt bull squirt
Old 08-02-2014, 03:52 AM
Platinum Member

If they considered the beat as the hang time for equation fulfillment, they need to consider the negative feedback loop of which most biological processes encounter, or else everybody would be playing the drums just to have an advantage.

So at what point do we decide that the rhythm is more important than the problem the rhythm is helping to solve?