DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 12-30-2013, 02:47 PM
The Old Hyde

Default Open mic fiasco.

Last night my new band played an open mic, we only have 10 songs down really well so we cant play an entire gig yet. After all of our practice and hard work we show up and there are NO drums!!! so someone local was called, and he brought.....a bass drum, a snare....oh and a hi hat and a ride and a crash..thats it!!! no rug, everything sliding on the tile floor. my bass player had to keep a leg against the bass for me. during one song, middle of the first verse, the spring on the bass pedal came undone so I played the song with just the snare and cymbals. it was wild. I don't mind the small 2pc. kit but that's not what I have been practicing these songs with so it was a bit of a pain to rethink all of my fills on the fly.
Old 12-30-2013, 02:55 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Open mic fiasco.

That happens at these type of things sometimes. If it is well organized then it is a great evening, but it can really suck if it is not.
What you should do is offer to help organize the open mic night better. Your band could become the host band.
Old 12-30-2013, 03:03 PM
The Old Hyde

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdadruma View Post
That happens at these type of things sometimes. If it is well organized then it is a great evening, but it can really suck if it is not.
What you should do is offer to help organize the open mic night better. Your band could become the host band.
Its hosted by some band but the drummer was out of town or something. on a side note, I really liked the ride cymbal. it was a zildjian planet z I think 24 inch, it was big. really nice sound and a nice bell. the usual zbt hats, which I actually like, but the 14 inch b8 sabain crash....I wanted to bend that pile over the guys head like a freakin hat!!!

our song list in order:
1, Running with the devil Van Halen
2, When I come around Green Day
3, Monkey wrench Foo Fighters
4: All the small things Blink 182
5: Should I stay or should I go The Clash
6:Brain stew Green Day
7: Sedated The Ramones
8:Everlong Foo Fighters
9: Peaceful easy feeling The Eagles
10 Kashmir Zep
not the best lineup for a 2 pc kit!
Old 12-30-2013, 04:44 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Ugh, I feel your pain. I hate to be a Monday morning QB but...you probably should have left and come back another night rather than try and make do with crap. You yourself could have made that call. You could have said, sorry, I'm not doing it, the drums are unacceptable. And that's it.

If you don't have what you need, just say no. You would have been better off. Being too forgiving/accommodating in situations like that....you end up worse off than if you just turned around and left. There are bare minimum requirements. Let someone else be the buffoon. I mean it was only an open mic, not a gig. You could have exercised your prerogative. You would have felt better. You are an important part of the music. Think the stringed players would play through a pignose? Yea, no they wouldn't.
Old 12-30-2013, 04:54 PM
The Old Hyde

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
Ugh, I feel your pain. I hate to be a Monday morning QB but...you probably should have left and come back another night rather than try and make do with crap. You yourself could have made that call. You could have said, sorry, I'm not doing it, the drums are unacceptable. And that's it.

If you don't have what you need, just say no. You would have been better off. Being too forgiving/accommodating in situations like that....you end up worse off than if you just turned around and left. There are bare minimum requirements. Let someone else be the buffoon. I mean it was only an open mic, not a gig. You could have exercised your prerogative. You would have felt better. You are an important part of the music. Think the stringed players would play through a pignose? Yea, no they wouldn't.
I wanted to bail, we were joking about the no drums situation until the guy got there. then I was like, keep bringing stuff in dude but he only had a 2pc. the hard part was my wife came and we just got a sitter an hour before so she could come. it would have been bad for others more than me to bail. Next time for sure but I had to suck it up for this one.
Old 12-30-2013, 04:57 PM
Platinum Member

Esh...what a feeling it must have been! No rug, well, that's the last thing people usually think of too.
At least you got through it.

All those rocking tunes, and the Eagles song, now that's contrast!
Did you do a heavy version of it?
Old 12-30-2013, 05:00 PM
The Old Hyde

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlCrafton View Post
Esh...what a feeling it must have been! No rug, well, that's the last thing people usually think of too.
At least you got through it.

All those rocking tunes, and the Eagles song, now that's contrast!
Did you do a heavy version of it?
we do a kind of double time version, I posted a video on here of it. its not punk, just fast.
Old 12-30-2013, 05:02 PM
Silver Member

Larry makes a good point....to some of us folks that do music in addition to working a job, this really should be a fun thing; playing live. An open mic might lead to making contacts or friends, but aside from that, if you can't walk in, have some fun and be presented with a nominally useful rig...I would just assume be at home enjoying time with my family.

Now there is an opportunity to discuss this with your band mates and set a precedent.
Old 12-30-2013, 05:04 PM
Silver Member

I know it's nice to be able to play out without having to drag all of the gear out of the house, but I'm always a bit skeptical about things like this, and I think I'd keep a small backup kit in the car. Even if it's a short-stack kit with an 8x20" pancake bass drum, it sure beats what ends up onstage sometimes.
Old 12-30-2013, 05:05 PM

I'm already dreading that problem, since it's very common to have 1 kit for the entire evening in metal underground.

Plan on building on 8 pc kit with 2 snares so i might want to make sure especially on the fills. Though since the rehearsal space kit is a 4 piece i guess i can get used to it to some degree.
Old 12-30-2013, 05:11 PM
The Old Hyde

Quote:
Originally Posted by shemp View Post
Now there is an opportunity to discuss this with your band mates and set a precedent.
the worst part is I pulled it off. they were joking saying I only need a 2pc kit now. without a doubt, this will not happen again....well I hope not anyway!
Old 12-30-2013, 05:13 PM
The Old Hyde

http://www.youtube.com/attribution_l...YPN9qfS68wo3CA

For Karl
Old 12-30-2013, 05:15 PM

maybe i'm weird, but, (ok, i am weird) i rather enjoy embracing those ridiculous situations. hell, give me a drum solo! i have done many on two piece kits. have fun with it. life is way too short to worry about things beyond our control.
Old 12-30-2013, 05:19 PM
Gold Member

Many of the open mic gigs will pay a drummer to bring drums, because generally they aren't worth the effort to drag the equipment out, and inevitably, they want to let anyone play your drums, which many drummers wouldn't be comfortable without compensation, not to mention that having a solid drummer goes a long way towards entertainment with mediocre self selected "talent". You should be able to swing the band with just a snare, hihat, or a hand drum, though.
Old 12-30-2013, 05:23 PM
Platinum Member

Sounds like you handled it well. I would have had to leave...I wouldn't have had a clue how to compensate with that. Chalk one up to experience and having the guts to go ahead with it. I'm impressed.
Old 12-30-2013, 05:26 PM
The Old Hyde

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryO View Post
Sounds like you handled it well. I would have had to leave...I wouldn't have had a clue how to compensate with that. Chalk one up to experience and having the guts to go ahead with it. I'm impressed.
Thanks Mary, I was game for it. I did miss not playing some really good fills that involve more than a snare but it worked out. the crowd really enjoyed us and i got some nice compliments said to me by somebody afterwards so it was worth playing.
Old 12-30-2013, 07:31 PM
Gold Member

Sounds like you made the best of a bad situation and stuck it out. Kuddos!

One can argue two sides to this and they are both correct: 1) stick it out like you did and show that you can play on anything and are flexible and a real pro, or 2) put your foot down and refuse to play on anything less than bare bones minimum and make a point that to make good music, you need the bare essential equipment. Would a guitar player play without an amp, or a bass player play without all the bass strings. Or a horn player play without his mouthpiece?

Sounds like you handled it quite well.
Old 12-30-2013, 07:38 PM
Platinum Member

2, When I come around Green Day
3, Monkey wrench Foo Fighters
4: All the small things Blink 182
5: Should I stay or should I go The Clash
6:Brain stew Green Day
7: Sedated The Ramones
8:Everlong Foo Fighters
9: Peaceful easy feeling The Eagles
10 Kashmir Zep

Way to mix it up there :) It's like one of those series of pictures things where you have to choose which one doesn't belong :)
Old 12-30-2013, 08:58 PM
Platinum Member

Nice vid. That's a cool way to do that song. I dig the snare sound too!
That guy that walked up... oh geeeze. Gotta get my tag up there for that dart game (...that won't happen because the band is IN the dart game area...)

But at least his marker is up there.

Nice that you got up there and did your thing on such minimal gear.

When we rehearse our Cheap Trick Tribute, I play on a really badly maintained kit at the guitar players rehearsal space. The snare stand will swivel sometimes when we're playing, and the cymbals are awful. I kinda like it though for some odd reason.

Same with my heavy rock band, when we rehearse at that guitar players house. He has a junky Olympic kit, no bottom heads, OLD pinstripe heads, and one ZBT crash ride with a set of zbt hats. I have fun on that kit too.

For both, I just bring my seat, sticks and pedal and I'm happy to be playing.
Old 12-30-2013, 09:07 PM
The Old Hyde

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlCrafton View Post
Nice vid. That's a cool way to do that song. I dig the snare sound too!
That guy that walked up... oh geeeze. Gotta get my tag up there for that dart game (...that won't happen because the band is IN the dart game area...)

But at least his marker is up there.

Nice that you got up there and did your thing on such minimal gear.

When we rehearse our Cheap Trick Tribute, I play on a really badly maintained kit at the guitar players rehearsal space. The snare stand will swivel sometimes when we're playing, and the cymbals are awful. I kinda like it though for some odd reason.

Same with my heavy rock band, when we rehearse at that guitar players house. He has a junky Olympic kit, no bottom heads, OLD pinstripe heads, and one ZBT crash ride with a set of zbt hats. I have fun on that kit too.

For both, I just bring my seat, sticks and pedal and I'm happy to be playing.
Thanks Karl

That guy bought me a beer! he was there with his wife, i don't know them. i was looking the other way and suddenly he was there, i was like wtf?!? he could have waited till we were between songs.
my guitar player has a Fender Starcaster kit in his practice studio. its actually not the worst but i like playing on it. I ruined the heads that it came with and put on some i had laying around. the best part of his kit is the roc n soc throne...i will steal it one day. ZBT's all around it too!
Old 12-30-2013, 09:37 PM
Platinum Member

What - no chimes? I'd bail immediately & cry in my room for days! ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Old Hyde View Post
Would love to do that song :)
Old 12-30-2013, 09:47 PM
The Old Hyde

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep it simple View Post
What - no chimes? I'd bail immediately & cry in my room for days! ;)

haha you should have seen the laundry in the bass drum..stuffed to the top with white towels and one red long sleeved shirt sleeve peeking through!

Would love to do that song :)
my classic rock band does Aint Talkin Bout Love. Old VH is so much fun to play. I want to do Jump like this band from England but we don't have a keyboard player :(
Old 12-30-2013, 09:53 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I want to do Jump like this band from England but we don't have a keyboard player :(
We used to play Jump before we got a keys player (seriously). The guitarist worked out a superb chord riff that did the job nicely. Obviously, we missed out the keyboard solo.
Old 12-30-2013, 09:57 PM
The Old Hyde

Quote:
We used to play Jump before we got a keys player (seriously). The guitarist worked out a superb chord riff that did the job nicely. Obviously, we missed out the keyboard solo.
hmm something to bring to the boys at practice. no spandex pants though right?
Old 12-30-2013, 10:01 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
hmm something to bring to the boys at practice. no spandex pants though right?
No way!!!! Chimes get the chicks interested. They always want to run their fingers across them.

BTW, if you are thinking of getting a keys player, good ones (you know, the ones that can actually use their left hand), are really difficult to find.
Old 12-30-2013, 10:09 PM
The Old Hyde

Quote:
BTW, if you are thinking of getting a keys player, good ones (you know, the ones that can actually use their left hand), are really difficult to find.
in his studio next to the kit is a set of keys, i asked him who plays them and he said "nobody does" hahaha
Old 12-30-2013, 10:11 PM
Silver Member

...and that's why playing live is where you "get all the experience". You learn everything playing live. It is the best teacher and makes you do you things you never thought you'd have to, often with stellar results.
Old 12-30-2013, 11:09 PM

I play two local open mics, and I alternate with another drummer. We both bring full four piece kits with nice drums and cymbals. It makes the event so much better having a house drummer with house drums. I have the call to say no to anyone who wants to sit in who I think is A: not very good and will break something or not add anything B: was not asked by the performer to join in or C: is drunk of his/her ass. I've met so many awesome drummers who've played great, become drum buddies and suggested ways to set up my kit I hadn't thought of. I'm not overly stubborn or particular about my set up and had some killer tips passed my way. We also have two house bass players and a host who always has a backup loaner acoustic guitar. We try to never keep anyone off the stage who came to play. I f I can't make it the other drummer does. Plus I always carry a ziplock of spare snare cords, cymbal felts, etc. plus multi tools, wrenches, a spare guitar cable, pics, and waaaay too many drum keys. I would hate to have the music stop because something broke and no one thought to be ready. You should give your email or number to them so if they need a sub, you can be it.
Old 12-30-2013, 11:46 PM
Platinum Member

That happened at our local open mic/blues jam a few times, and the guy who organized it got the hint and bought a drumset that he brings to the jam every time. Just an old four-piece, but it works, it sounds fine, and we have fun with it.

Not only do I not want to risk an incident with my drums, but I work most Tuesdays (as does my wife), and I can't be hanging out until 11:30 Monday night to pack up my kit.
Old 12-31-2013, 12:25 AM
The Old Hyde

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockNGrohl View Post
I play two local open mics, and I alternate with another drummer. We both bring full four piece kits with nice drums and cymbals. It makes the event so much better having a house drummer with house drums. I have the call to say no to anyone who wants to sit in who I think is A: not very good and will break something or not add anything B: was not asked by the performer to join in or C: is drunk of his/her ass. I've met so many awesome drummers who've played great, become drum buddies and suggested ways to set up my kit I hadn't thought of. I'm not overly stubborn or particular about my set up and had some killer tips passed my way. We also have two house bass players and a host who always has a backup loaner acoustic guitar. We try to never keep anyone off the stage who came to play. I f I can't make it the other drummer does. Plus I always carry a ziplock of spare snare cords, cymbal felts, etc. plus multi tools, wrenches, a spare guitar cable, pics, and waaaay too many drum keys. I would hate to have the music stop because something broke and no one thought to be ready. You should give your email or number to them so if they need a sub, you can be it.
all of my fears when my other band host open mic.
our lead guy brings his strat and leaves his Les Paul home so if someone needs a guitar, they can borrow the strat only.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alparrott View Post
That happened at our local open mic/blues jam a few times, and the guy who organized it got the hint and bought a drumset that he brings to the jam every time. Just an old four-piece, but it works, it sounds fine, and we have fun with it.

Not only do I not want to risk an incident with my drums, but I work most Tuesdays (as does my wife), and I can't be hanging out until 11:30 Monday night to pack up my kit.
I like using my kit, but sometimes I tell the bar owner to use the house kit. just a tama rockstar but it woks fine and I don't need to tear down after. our open mic is till closing but we do sat nights, I don't get home till 3 if I bring my kit. I get paid so its not all bad. free beer and shots too!!
Old 12-31-2013, 08:53 PM
The Old Hyde

My wife just sent this to me, rockin the 2 piece. They had place some kind of towel from behind the bar under the bass at this point but my bass player still had to lend a leg.
Attached Images

Old 12-31-2013, 11:07 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I want to do Jump like this band from England but we don't have a keyboard player :(
Did Van Halen have one? :)
Old 01-02-2014, 02:55 AM

I will enthusiaticaly say "Good job" You made the best out of a terrible situation, you did not back down and walk away, you stuck with it and played. Excellent!!
Old 01-02-2014, 03:51 AM

Sorry to hear that. It's happened to me before. I can deal with crappy gear, but what is completely miserable is when everything slides around. It's maddening.