DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 05-17-2013, 10:28 PM

Default Thinking about learning the drums,had some questions?

About a year and a half ago my parents bought my son a set of drums "I think to punish me,lol" They are made by sound percussion,It has a kick drum,snare,Hithat,crash and two toms "I think thats what they call them" Im pretty sure this is a complete set?

But he played with them for a few days and they sat ever since,So this set has been sitting a couple of feet from me all this time and lately I been wanting to play,so went out and got a set of sticks and am gonna give it a go. I have a couple of guitars that I have learned a few chords and some intro riffs from tabs from the internet,,Im not really learning anything deep,but its fun just to play around with for a hobby,So im looking to do something similar with the drums.

My question is where do I start,lol,I seem to be the most uncoordinated person when it comes to the drums,,it seems all my arms and legs want to move at once. So if anyone has any good sites,or maybe some starter youtube vids,Free is always good :) Please link them,or PM them to me.

Another question is,is there a good cheap set of electric drums that might be good to learn on,,,maybe something a little out of date used but still a good set that could be had for $200-$300? Thats another problem,when I feel like practicing stuff I have a small window of time I can use them,because the normal things like kids have homework,,then I make dinner,,then kids are in bed etc. So I thought the electric set would solve that and I could just wear some headphones. But any advice,on where someone with zero experience should start from is welcome and needed,Thanks!
Old 05-18-2013, 01:43 AM
britchops

Default Re: Thinking about learning the drums,had some questions?

Hi,

I have a beginners drum course website that you might be interested in @ www.britchops.co.uk It offers a digital download Course of drum lessons for beginners that you might want to check out.

All the best

TJ
www.britchops.co.uk

Last edited by britchops; 05-18-2013 at 11:33 AM.
Old 05-18-2013, 02:15 AM

as far as learning goes, just pracice practice practice.

Just gotta start with the most basic beat that you can think up, get comfortable with it, and try to add something different. just keep building from there

kinda sucks that there's no easy way to learn instruments. just time :(

anyhow, i wish you luck! And take advantage of all the info you can find on these forums. Coming here may have been one of the best decisions you'll ever make for your drumming :)
Old 05-18-2013, 03:05 AM
Platinum Member

If you are really just starting out, a rubber practice pad would be a good quiet way to go about getting your hands in shape (lifetime effort for most....). A little less fun that the whole kit but you can still work on it.

IF you are really serious, you should take lessons with a teacher too.
Old 05-18-2013, 05:31 AM
Renegade

If you just want to play hobby style then start out with the basic rock boom-bap beat you hear on records all the time.

As for cheap e-kits. Better to go second-hand Roland or Yamaha than the cheap brands. The cheap ones have dicey triggers which means you hit the things and they may or may not make a sound. It really sucks out the fun.

YouTube has lots of beginner drum lessons hobby players.
Old 05-18-2013, 06:25 AM
Silver Member

Find a good teacher. Get the basics solid.

However, since it's the 21st century...youtube has loads of stuff to offer.

I'd recommend getting a practice pad first and practice some rudiments on it before deciding which kit you wanna get.
Old 05-18-2013, 07:40 AM

http://www.youtube.com/user/freedrumlessons
these guys have over 400drum lessons that cover a wide range of styles, well worth a look.