DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 11-23-2012, 07:23 PM
Platinum Member

Default Finished Carmine's Realistic Rock book and looking for another but which?

Mostly anyway. I started with die hard mentaility but there are some beats and patterns that I know I will never play and frankly dont even sound musical to me (shuffles with snare/kick hits together mainly) so I skipped them. I need to shed a great deal to get my shuffles in line but I get it and I think that section of the book has led me to the next level of playing that I seek. I mean that most of that book is straight quarters or 8ths and that last section is a step away from that and into the world of shuffles and spang-a-langs etc.. To me that is a total shift in what I have done thus far and one that I am so interested in moving with.

So, I think thats what I would like to focus on. Not strictly jazz as I mostly play rock and country but I would like to get into some bluesy type stuff that is not played in straight 8ths or qtrs.. There are tons of great old blues songs that are slow and played in 4/4 but they are shuffles (a1, a2, a3, a4....shuffle right?) and the way some those old drummers played that stuff makes it sound so easy. I want to make it sound that way.

Any books to suggest to follow Carmines?

Drummers to study (I am behind in this area)?

Thanks!
Old 11-23-2012, 07:30 PM
Gold Member

Default Re: Finished Carmine's Realistic Rock book and looking for another but which?

There is another book called realistic rock 2.
Old 11-23-2012, 08:07 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Finished Carmine's Realistic Rock book and looking for another but which?

Well, then make the grooves feel good at all tempos first. Then after you've done that, flip it over and play the book backwards to the front, and then make that feel good ;)

I did that with Ted Reed's Syncopation long ago with my teacher and that just kicked my a$$.
Old 11-23-2012, 08:21 PM

You did not finish the book, you're abandoning it. There are more ways to play any book aside from literally. Get creative. Also, your "I play rock and country so jazz isn't relevant"(paraphraseed) holds no water. Keep working.
Old 11-24-2012, 02:07 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Eder View Post
Well, then make the grooves feel good at all tempos first. Then after you've done that, flip it over and play the book backwards to the front, and then make that feel good ;)

I did that with Ted Reed's Syncopation long ago with my teacher and that just kicked my a$$.
My teacher is kicking my ass with that.... Not that I am close to being able to do it... Great idea though.
Old 11-24-2012, 02:13 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pieplaysdrums View Post
You did not finish the book, you're abandoning it. There are more ways to play any book aside from literally. Get creative. Also, your "I play rock and country so jazz isn't relevant"(paraphraseed) holds no water. Keep working.
Damn it! Of course you are right about the rock/country thing and I listen to all kinds of music for this reason- also play along. Just looking for a fresh book with some more focus on some interesting patterns for the hats/ride and mixing it up a little.

Hoping for a little surprise from someone and maybe the book #2 mentioned above is it. Maybe its just an intermediate book that someone thought would be good for me based on my description.
Old 11-25-2012, 04:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toolate View Post
Damn it! Of course you are right about the rock/country thing and I listen to all kinds of music for this reason- also play along. Just looking for a fresh book with some more focus on some interesting patterns for the hats/ride and mixing it up a little.

Hoping for a little surprise from someone and maybe the book #2 mentioned above is it. Maybe its just an intermediate book that someone thought would be good for me based on my description.
You can do it! Use it as a challenge for your creativity. MAKE it new and exciting. It's too easy these days to fall into the trap of buying a horde of books rather than truly knowing a select few. Apply nose to stone :)
Old 11-25-2012, 08:47 AM
Platinum Member

You can never be done with any book and they all on some way cover the same stuff. However, I like having a ton of them, because they open my mind to different ways of looking at stuff, so I can decide for myself what works for me.

My favourite books are nothing unique:
- Chaffee's Patterns series
- New Breed
- A couple of pages from Syncopation
- The Unreel Drum Book
- Benny Greb's stuff

A couple of snare etude books never hurt.

The rest is about learning styles and gaining real experience. Play with others, experiement, building the kit that suits your needs.

If you want to learn a new style, get some books/DVDs, but first and foremost listen and get immersed in it any way you can.

In the case of ostinatos, just pick one. Work on it until you feel comfortable with it and then try another one. Play by yourself and try using it so that it becomes a natural option for you so you don't have to force it.
Old 11-25-2012, 02:04 PM
Platinum Member

To show my lack of knowledge a little, is that what ostinato means? I hear it referred to here and there but always thought it was a foot-specific term for hi hat chick or kick patterns.

It is and it applies to the hands or any pattern in music (I looked it up just now), then I think that is what I wish there was a book about specifically. I guess it could be said that any and every book is about this but I mean just for the hats/ride type stuff and working different patterns into USABLE realistic beats.

I do need to go back to what I have already done and re-analyze with new perspective.
Old 11-25-2012, 02:49 PM
Pollyanna's Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odd-Arne Oseberg View Post
- Benny Greb's stuff
+1 ...Benny's stuff is really nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toolate View Post
To show my lack of knowledge a little, is that what ostinato means? I hear it referred to here and there but always thought it was a foot-specific term for hi hat chick or kick patterns.
Here a couple of samples:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEdmz_InvSE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StEPO...eature=related

Ostinato's are a pattern played with two limbs, usually the feet, in a repetitive motion, while soloing over it with the two other limbs.
Old 11-25-2012, 06:02 PM
Gold Member

Gary Chester's New Breed and New Breed 2 are excellent books. Quite challenging.

Jim Chapin's Advance techniques for the Modern Drummer is a Classic and a must have .

Peter Magadini ( my former teacher) has some excellent books on Polyrhythms.

Zoro's book on RnB drumming is excellent and a valuable read if you want to learn this style and history.

Russ Miller's Excellent book The Drumset crash course is a great read and valuable if you want to learn a LOT of different styles and genres of music.