DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 11-13-2012, 07:42 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Cymbal quality doesnt matter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Almeyda View Post
Of course, cymbal quality matters but this reminded me of a funny story:

I was doing a session at a studio in NY well known for getting great pop/rock drum sounds. The engineer had just finished the last Avril Lavigne record the week before and was telling us about his favorite drums and drum head combos. After a long discussion on drum sounds, I asked him what about cymbals. He looked at me quizzically and said "I don't know, they all
pretty much go "Psshhh".
That's funny.

Old 11-14-2012, 03:20 AM
Platinum Member

I've found one way to tell the difference between a good and bad cymbal. Crescendo it with a pair of mallets.
Old 11-14-2012, 11:15 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyhanson View Post
I think cheap cymbals can sound good sometimes......
I agree! usually when they're being played far enough away that you can't hear them! I admit it, I'm a cymbal snob. Buy a good cymbal once, look after it, and it will last a lifetime of playing. Cheap cymbals sound like exactly what they are generally.
Old 11-14-2012, 12:13 PM
Platinum Member

I almost took the bait.....

In the event this isn't a setup, I'll just say play what you like and let me do the same.
Old 11-14-2012, 06:10 PM
Platinum Member

To me, Hi hats are about the only cymbals that don't always stink if they are "cheap" or "beginner" quality. Some crashes can be OK, but usually...ick.

One of my bands played a short notice 5 song gig recently, as a "special guest band". We used the gear they had for the event. We were able to come in a couple days before hand to get things checked out. The room had a tall ceiling, with brick walls.

I just used 2 of the cymbals, a Camber crash (think it was 18") and a ZBT 20" ride, with 13" ZBT hats (I put the other stuff to the side).

The cymbals were junky, but being fairly quiet, they were good for that room. They didn't totally suck hearing them sitting in the audience at the show, but behind the kit, there was "nothing". They weren't very "near field" haha!

I was surprised that the hats were NOT sucking as I played them. They actually sounded pretty good. Not great, but not bad were you'd say "oh jeeze, I can't believe I have to play and listen to these". They just sounded like hi hats.

The kit was useable--just, but the guy who owns it (and runs a "studio") thinks it's great.
It was useable, but lifeless. It made a sound.

I was glad to have been able to see what I was dealing with before hand, because the seat was junk, and not adjustable because it was seized up, & didn't swivel anymore.
I actually brought my own rack tom and stand because the kits toms were the deep power toms from the 80's. My own snare and pedal of course--I used the new 6.5 Acro and it was AWESOME in that room. It sounds great anyway, but in that type of room it was really great.

Lower line models from Paiste usually sound pretty good. Not shimmery, with nice sustain and a smooth decay, but not awful like some low priced offerings from companies.