Review on DW Drum Heads

Diegorod

I've been thinking of replacing my heads, and The DW Coated/Clear look and sound pretty good, but what are your guys opinion? I'm also wondering, are they durable? I'm not a hard hitter but I want heads that will last me a long time.

I've never tried DW heads but they're just re-stamped Remo heads are they not? I'd feel safer buying direct from Remo in that case. I don't know why.

In terms of durability/longevity though, I've found Aquarian heads to be excellent. I like the Super-2's personally.

Then,you'd be buying Remo heads.DW dosen't make their own heads,the're made for DW by Remo.

Steve B

DW heads are made by Remo. I believe they're a proprietary design for DW. I don't believe you can buy them with a Remo imprint on them. Speaking from experience, they sound pretty darn good on DW drums. Very punchy and focused, if that's what you like and want. I have an endorsement with Evans, so that's just my choice. They've been very good to me, but I wouldn't hesitate to use the DW heads again if the situation was different.

I have found that Evan's EC-2 Level 360 heads are similar to the DWs. I just put them on one of my DW sets, and am anxious to see how they sound on the gig.

If you aren't getting one of those funky clear/coated hybrids or any other DW only design, just buy regular REMO heads. The DW website has the list of available heads and John Good has a video about the heads on the DW YouTube page.

I'm not a fan of the DW stock remo heads...just IMO they dont hold their note very well & just sounds too boingy.
You could easily find much better heads from Remo, Evans, Aquarian etc.
I personally love Evans G2 coated over G1 clear combination (for toms) & Evans EMAD (for kick batter), durability is excellent.
Not saying Remo & Aquarian are inferior.

Last edited:
If you aren't getting one of those funky clear/coated hybrids or any other DW only design, just buy regular REMO heads. The DW website has the list of available heads and John Good has a video about the heads on the DW YouTube page.

Here's a link to that video about the DW drumheads: http://youtu.be/5bHwuVE48fY

My personal experience with them is not exactly positive. I was playing on a friend's DW kit that she'd just purchased. She said she wasn't exactly happy with the drums so far (they had just arrived a week or two earlier) and that she couldn't get the desired sound out of them and that they were too "boingy", even at lower tunings.

So, we decided to tune all of the drums' batter and resonant heads to the pitch stamped on the inside of the shells. Still boingy. She ran out and bought brand new Remo Ambassador clear heads for the batters and it instantly solved the boingy problem at ALL tuning levels.

What I'm wondering is: How in the world does Neil Peart get a good sound out of these heads?!

Back