Building a 'custom' electronic kit (from parts) advice..

JohnnySomersett

Hey!

Having sorted out my house so that I have a whole room for my music stuff (multiple guitars, a drum kit, organ, etc etc) it's glaringly obvious Ill never be able to practice at home on the full kit. I live above a 96 year old dude, and attached to a couple with a 4 year old child. So, full size drum sounds are gonna be extremely unwelcome. Plus, my girlfriend wont want me disturbing her CSI every night.

SO

Electronic kits... They're everywhere at the moment, and lots of choice. The trouble I'm up against is that all the kits come with WAY more stuff than I need. Because this is my kit:

1dcf755e.jpg

...Yep, it's very minimal.

So, I thought, maybe I could buy a few componants and build my own e-kit up? All I'd need is a kick trigger, a pad for the snare, a hi hat 'setup' and 1 cymbal trigger. Oh, and a drum module.

Can any of you guys & gals point me in the direction that you'd recommend for what to use to achieve this?

Very true. A fine gent as well... still sharp as a knife too despite his long years.

Well, I'll be darned if you ain't an okay cowboy!

I have an Alesis Trigger I/O, which I like. I triggered my ride cymbal with a piezo buzzer, and I send the brain output to my music keyboard. I mix the virtual cymbal sound with the "virtual" cymbal sound. But right now I'm replacing the fingerboard on my cowboy guitar, so I can sing "Bury Me Not On The Lone Prarie".

Last edited:
You'd probably be as well off buying a larger 2nd hand E-Kit and just using the bits you want knowing that you have something that will appeal to a broader market should you come to sell it.
You're biggete problem though even with an e-kit, the kick will still send out a lot of reverberation / noise especially to him downstairs !!!

Back