I want to be a better drummer.

I've been playing drums for about a year total. I can play basic things and can keep steady rhythm for a long time. However I feel like I'm slacking and I want to expand my skill set. I don't really know where to start though. I'm wanting to learn any genre I can, I don't want to limit myself to one. If anyone has any suggestions on books or DVDs that helped them or exercises or anything else I'd be thankful if you'd help me out. I feel like I'm getting repetitive in my drumming, and it's extremely frustrating. I'm completely self taught, and I think I've plateaued for now and I just need a boost.

Teacher is the way to go. If you told him this he would send you down any one of a thousand roads......

If you are stuck at home- I just recently bought cd called "turn it up and lay it down" that is all bass lines to play along with. About 25 tracks per cd and there are volumes of them. The first couple were general but the last couple dozen are genre specific. Check them out. Well worth it. I play at home and dont have bassist to lock in with so this is a great option. Tons of fun too.

Really shows you how much there is to learm.

If you can get a teacher !!!

If not try benny Greb's DVD for starters, it'll give you a good foundation to really start to build on espcially if you've never had a lesson.

+1 to getting a teacher, he will iron out all your technique problems (we all have some) and give you advice on all aspects of drumming as well as connections to other players. However if you can't afford or find one, the books I prefer for rock/funk drumming are Carmine Appice's Realistic Rock, and The Breakbeat Bible by Mike Adamo. Probably in that order. Jazz is a different beast that I'm not sure of any particularly good books, but listen to a lot of jazz to learn it. Blues is easy once you get your shuffles down. I'm useless for metal so no ideas there. And for rudiments get a page with the PAS 40 and a copy of George Stone's Stick Control. If you work through all that you'll be amazing and probably 10 years older.

Yep definitely get a teacher. I had a teacher for a while, then plodded on by myself for a while just playing in a few bands without any real guidance, picked up bad habbits, tension, and now finally got a good teacher who is trying to undo all my bad habbits and teach me some basics that my first teacher should really of got me doing. I'd say beware of teachers that only want to do playalongs to basic pop songs (unless that's your thing) - there is a ton of foundation that can get missed...

Back