Tips for recording

I've recorded a number of ways. The two most common are to record just your drum tracks. I spent two days laying down 16 songs. Yes I had them all memorized because we had practices so much the songs were embedded in my skull.

However, as others have said the studio should have an isolation both or the guitar player can even play guitar from the control room along with you. The guitar wont be recorded it is simply for you to play along to.

The third way I have recorded is with a scratch. The entire band sets up or at least the key players needed for ques and play the song along to the click. Sound is meaningless its just for play along. Then you record your track with the scratch track playing in your headphones.

None of these ways are strange nor uncommon. In my opinion your band mates likely don't know what they are talking about if they threw your idea of prerecording their parts beforehand. It might not be needed since it can happen quick in the studio but I think their expectation of how recording happens is a little naive.

they record the whole band playing with a click track first. Not to worry about any minor mistakes. They play that back for you in your headphones while they record only your playing.

This sounds like it would be the best way to go with the struggles your having. your band as a whole should be willing to work with you and accommodate you in any way they can since it will reflect the overall recording if the "feel" isn't right.

If you really mean that they want you to play to a click with no other scratch tracks, well, that's just silly IMO.

What they really want or need is just a drum machine.

I think if you know your drum parts off by heart and can play them without any reference to other parts, then you will know them will enough in the studio to track them any way you want, and hopefully knowing that well will negate any recording nerves you have. But as others have said you should try to convince your bandmates to track some rough parts down or at the very least play along with you.

In my limited experience I would suggest you practice like hell to a metronome beforehand, then record with the other guys on a scratch track BUT ensure the click is so loud any timing issues from others doesn't put you off. You can bet that none of the others are bothering to practice to a click quite so religiously :)

Back