How many bands have you been in at the same time?

geezer

So back in the day I generally would've been in one band that practiced 3-4 times a week, playing shows regularly (all originals). Occasionally I'd sit in with another band if they were drummer-less, or in short term projects, but my main focus was the one band. This was in the punk rock/either on the dole or working a crappy part time job/survive on toast or ramen/have 5+ roommates days. Nowadays I work full-time, as do all my bandmates, so we practice once a week. It made it pretty easy to join a second band, who also practice once a week - schedules don't clash, completely different genres of music so no conflict of interest as far as gigs go. Now I have the opportunity to join a third band, who also practice once a week. Just wondering how many others out there are in 3 (or more!) bands?

I'm a full-time member in 4 bands, a monthly member in another, and a regular sub in 2 or 3 additional.

Fortunately, rehearsals are at a minimum (or nil in a few cases) and somehow, there are very few gig conflicts.

Bermuda

At one point last year, I was working full time, even overtime (sometimes 12hr days) and playing with 6 bands. Needless to say, it was a very hectic time.

Nowadays, I'm just currently playing in 3 acts, but I've found other activities to occupy just about any amount of free time I could possibly have.

and somehow, there are very few gig conflicts.

Bermuda

That's the gig fairies working their magic behind the scenes lol.

My most was 3. I'm down to one now.

Right now I am in three bands and I play at church every week. I suppose that makes four. This is the most bands I have ever been in at one time. On top of all that I work a full-time job. Between rehearsing or gigging every night of the week somewhere, and working all the time, I'm actually having trouble learning all the material for all the bands. I have to listen to the music on my breaks at work to try to learn it.

In two and playing in church at the same time has been my limit, or in a band and doing a musical at the same time. If the bands are cool with it and boundaries are observed politely it can be just fine. But it only takes one screwhead to mess it all up.

Only one. This has always been the case for me. I work full time, I am married and have a family,so practice and rehearsals are aqueezed in.

Until recently the bands I was in were writing and performing originals, so the commitment to them was total. Now I am in a startup Jazz Funk band and as this genre is all new to me I am working on the songs at any opportunity.

I like to keep it at two bands. Gives me the opportunity to get my ya-yas out in different areas, and on different instruments.
Most I've been in is four, with a full time job. It can get pretty difficult if practice schedules aren't locked down, but it can be an exciting feeling of doing so much. You find you don't need as much sleep as you previously thought you did.

I'm currently playing in 2 full time bands (regular gigs) and 1 part time band (only a few gigs and hardly any rehearsals) To be honest thats enough as i also work full time and have a family but i absolutely love playing live so its gotta be done...

Well at the moment im in 2 bands ,one coverband and original band.
And that is a good balance for me.
I did 3 bands but 2 bands is must beter for me.

I am currently playing in a symphonic band, a marching band, a symphonic orchestra and will soon be playing in a charanga. I'm also trying to form a jazz quartet but it's taking its time.
And I teach drums to three kids and take percussion and guitar lessons.

This is while working a full-time job, but luckily the first three I listed don't require much practice at home, with just the rehearsal time is enough.

Currently in 4 bands. A 17 piece Big band, a 6 piece Dixieland jazz band and two Classic Rock bands. I also sub frequently as well. I rehearse Monday's with the Big band, Thursday's with one Rock Band, Saturday mornings with the Dixieland band. The other Rock Band just gigs.

I am in two now: church Wednesday night and Sunday morning and a blues band that practices every other Saturday afternoon. That is a good situation for me. Peace and goodwill.

Back