DW Hardcore Beater Vs. Trick Pro-1V Detonator

maverick52

What do you think of the two? I have a DW 8002B pedal and I really want some lighter beaters, but without sacreficing too much volume. Price isn't the issue here for me, these are just the two contenders for me and id like some honest opinions on there performance.

iron cobra beaters could be a contender nice and light

i 2nd the iron cobra beaters, light and still pack a big punch. and more specifically i recommend the rubber ones.

Also, most would agree that the Trick Dominator beaters are better than the Detonators.
Sadly, i havent gottten to try them yet, but i really would love to.

Check them out here, http://www.trickdrums.com/

I was thinking about the iron cobra rubber beaters too, but I've heard of a few instances of some metal drummers that have cracked the beater, then again if I play hard enough to do that I would probably destroy the hardcore beaters. I saw the new dominator beaters but I've still not seen a single retailer even selling the dominator pedal with the new aluminum beaters.

i find it hard to believe that someone can crack that beater, a rubber one no less.

i bet you can order directly from Trick if you drop them a line

i find it hard to believe that someone can crack that beater, a rubber one no less.

i bet you can order directly from Trick if you drop them a line

You can actually order them directly from Trick through their web site.

Alright so I gotta admit I'm a chronic impulse buyer, but seeing as the dominator beaters aren't even $10 more than the iron cobras I bought a pair of them, they just look too sweet and hopefully they fit the bill.

Got the dominator beaters today, crazy fast shipping only 2 days! First impression, they look crazy awesome! very shiny, makes the pedal a whole lot more unique. Weighing the old DW beater against the Trick there isn't a ton of weight difference, the Trick is lighter because of how much aluminum is milled out of the center. I went ahead and swapped out the beaters and set them up for the center of the kick (BIG plus is the telescoping head, any pedal i've ever used the beater has never been able to go low enough to get to the center of the head). I started playing an immediately noticed a difference. Much smoother action and better response. The lighter feel made it necessary to tighten the springs a decent amount and the pedal feels much more fluid, and it was already super smooth with the old beaters.
Even with the lighter beaters, I think the 9000 still has a lighter, snappier response. But the only 9000 I tried was with the Hardcore beater in it, and those are mostly foam and plastic so the Trick beaters are obviously going to weigh more, but also last longer. I noticed a tiny bit of aluminum rubbing of on the falam patch but that happens with any beater, plastic or felt.
Overall a very worthy investment for only $25 a beater, and best of all there aren't many people that have them so your pedal will totally stand out.

Back