How does my playing look? Motley Crue cover

The Stones Rock

Hi, I'm looking for some advice on what I'm not doing well and how to improve it. I've been playing for about a year and a half. I recently stopped taking lessons (I've been taking lessons the whole time Ive been playing) because I realized my teacher wasn't a very good teacher. He never said anything about playing with a metronome or working on rudiments, and I ended up teaching myself much of what I know.
Anyway, I'm just looking for some constructive criticism on what I can do better on. I know my timing isn't very good and a lot of fills are rushed or not played fast enough, but I'm starting to play with a metronome and my time is improving. I have some other videos up but most of them (except the Zeppelin, and two Crue covers) are pretty old.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0oe7i5IvFus

It's not bad. Yes, rock is aggressive on the drum set, but you don't need full extension of the wrist. You don't want the look or feel of a garage band from high school. When you're having fun this tends to happen. Focus on being more relaxed. Practice using different heights of strokes and remaining in control at all times. When I approach rock styles, I lean towards loud for the bass drum, medium loud on the snare, and a little quieter on the cymbals or hats because it helps me play relaxed when asked to play faster.

For a year and a half I'de say your doing very well. I thought your wrists looked fairly relaxed and you have good technique given your experience. It's hard to tell how your dynamics and consistency are when playing along to a track like this though.

My only pet peeve as a drummer is the use of your ride as a crash. I know all the trendy new drummers are using alot of crash/rides these days but I just can't deal. If you want to crash with both hands get another 17 or 18 crash over your ride.

Good job!

For a year and a half I'de say your doing very well. I thought your wrists looked fairly relaxed and you have good technique given your experience. It's hard to tell how your dynamics and consistency are when playing along to a track like this though.

My only pet peeve as a drummer is the use of your ride as a crash. I know all the trendy new drummers are using alot of crash/rides these days but I just can't deal. If you want to crash with both hands get another 17 or 18 crash over your ride.

Good job!

Thanks. Yeah I'll probably upload a Rolling Stones cover tonight for people to see my consistency and stuff. But about the crash/ride thing. I'm not crashing my ride because all the new popular drummers are. It just feels comfortable. And since I'm 15 my drum budget is my 30$ a month allowance, and whatever else I can make cutting lawns and stuff.

Thanks. Yeah I'll probably upload a Rolling Stones cover tonight for people to see my consistency and stuff. But about the crash/ride thing. I'm not crashing my ride because all the new popular drummers are. It just feels comfortable. And since I'm 15 my drum budget is my 30$ a month allowance, and whatever else I can make cutting lawns and stuff.

I would suggest investing the $30 into lessons. You seem to be off to a good start. You need someone to refine your technique and playing overall.

$30 will probably get you one lesson, so you may need to talk to the teacher to arrange one lesson a month. It's not ideal, but it's better than no lessons.

Jeff

I would suggest investing the $30 into lessons. You seem to be off to a good start. You need someone to refine your technique and playing overall.

$30 will probably get you one lesson, so you may need to talk to the teacher to arrange one lesson a month. It's not ideal, but it's better than no lessons.

Jeff

Yeah, I'll probably do that. Thanks.

looks fine to me, just watch things like tempo though.

Is your seat OK? it looks like you keep shifting around because you're uncomfortable

Back