Todd Sucherman here!

Hey LD,

I only have an hour and a half (I like 2 hour clinics) so I'll be doing mostly playing. We'll see how the conversation with the attendees goes. I think I'm on Saturday at 2pm. Hope you can make it.

Ah shucks...don't think I can make it anymore.

Can you keep us posted on any of your clinics...I really want to check one out.

I talked to the manager @ West LA music to lob you a call...not sure if he's gonna.

Hey LD,

I only have an hour and a half (I like 2 hour clinics) so I'll be doing mostly playing. We'll see how the conversation with the attendees goes. I think I'm on Saturday at 2pm. Hope you can make it.

Great Clinic earlier today!

Other than the heat!! (who would have thought it would in the 90's in October for an outdoor clinic?)

Hey Todd...

How are you?

Quick question from an average TS-emulator: Do you remember what snare you played on your "Fox After Breakfast" performance with Styx in '97. I took a close look at your snare wall..but couldn't find it there. Or at least I'm not sure. It sounded great. Crisp and powerful! ...

You know, Todd I've gotten so much out of M&M so far...my copy is actually starting to wear out. It gave my drumming a real boost. Can't say that often enough!...Also I watch your '96 performance over and over, up and down, back and forth....it's ALL very educational to me. You REALLY know how to apply that stuff you teach on M&M. Pocket.....Period.

Sorry about my rambling....please think about that snare-thing, Todd!

Thanks and stay healthy,
from Bavaria
Andreas

P.S. People, go get M&M...For crying out loud..

Hey Andreas,

As ever, thanks for the kind words. They are appreciated!

Wow.....that Fox TV was a long time ago. I was just a baby. I was playing Sonor then and if my memory serves me, it was just rental gear from S.I.R in NYC. I'm guessing Hilites or Designers. I really have no idea! It was just what they supplied for that day, whatever it was. Sorry I can't remember.

Thanks again-
Cheers from Austin-
Todd

I just saw M&M and it is amazing, great quality material, amazing exercises and so inspirational. So I wanted to ask, what was the one album that inspired you to drum?
Thanks in advanced

Hey Todd...

Thanks for your quick response! You're right. 1997 seems like a long time ago to me too. It's just that I am now about the age you were back then and I ask myself "where am I in my life?"...I chose a different path but drumming is and has always been very important to me.

It's my heartbeat. And it's stronger than ever, thanks to M&M :)

Speaking of which: I'd like to invite every TS fan to a little experiment. Todd was once asked to pick three words to describe his style. Well I would like to challenge you to describe M&M and what it means to you in two words (They don't necessarily have to be alliterative) ...

I'll start: My "M&M" is: "Musical & Multivious"

Have a quiet time at home, Todd
Cheers from Bavaria
Andreas

Hey Jake,

Thanks for getting the dvd and for the compliments. Sorry I don't have a good answer for your question. I've been playing since I was a baby and don't have a record that inspired me to play. The drums in the house inspired me and I loved music. That's the best I can offer up. I've just always loved the drums.

Andreas,

As ever, I appreciate the kind words. And I'm not at home anymore......on the road doing a month long run. I have two clinics while on the road if anyone lives in Richmond, VA or Youngstown, OH.

Date: Nov 2nd
Location: (3505) Richmond Music Center 10364 Midlothian TPK* Richmond Va. 23235

Date: Nov 7th
Location: (4437) The Drum Shop 576 Youngstown-Polan* Struthers* OH 44471

Thanks again, guys!

Cheers from Tampa,
Todd

Thanks for the response, I totally get what you mean, so if you dont mind me asking what are some of your drum heroes
Thanks again for answering my questions

Jake,

My heroes? Everyone.

If you have my dvd, my influences are listed...and some should be obvious, really.

Thanks, man.

TS

Hey Todd...

How's the road treating you?

I was wondering: I understand that you have a -let's say- special relationship with your Signature stand. That statement of yours caught my attention. It's clearly a personal thing between you and the stand...if you don't mind me saying so :)
No really...I too like to surround myself with things that are familiar and comfortable. Old habits, maybe a little nostalgic. But I got an inkling that there are some special technical features that frequently make you play and appreciate that older Sonor-Model. It looks like a pretty solid stand. Three legs, fairly large board, no gimmicks, no jokes....

It'd be great if you shared some details with us, Todd! I totally understand if this is too personal, though!

Oh ..one thing: Visiting your website http://www.toddsucherman.com I recognized that your link-list is incomplete :) bold of me isn't it?
No...I think it would be cool if Pete's link would be there too. It'd fit right in hence you have his drums on display in your studio-section. What do you think, Todd? ...I myself instantly fell for Pete's incredibly well crafted instruments. I think there's not enough people out there to learn about his shop http://www.stanbridgedrums.com...period.

Thanks for your time, Todd!
Cheers from rainy Bavaria
Andreas

P.S. Sorry to see the "let's M&M things up a little"-thing didn't catch...but well.

Hi Todd,
I just wanted to tell you that i can't stop watching your video of tears of joy! You were the reason for finding this cd! I bought it of course!

I would also like to know what are you thinking when you play odd-time meters? do you count (f.ex. 1,2,3,4,5,1,2,3,4,5) or do you have the melody in your head and play on top of it? Also do you always record with a metronome? What's your opinion about recording without a metronome?

And something i have to mention, you're an AMAZING drummer but the most difficult thing to find is the combination of a great drummer (musician in general) and a great guy that gives you the feeling that you talk to the guy next door! Thanks again for the inspiration and your kindness! :)

Andreas--

Basically I use the old vintage Sonor hi hat stands because no one makes a hit hat stand that doesn't flop around like a salmon out of water. With all the adjustments on stands nowadays, how about one that doesn't move when you pump 8th notes with you foot? I think that would be a great idea. So, any '85-'95 Phonic, Phonic Plus, Protec or Signature hi hat stands does the trick for me. Pearl knows this, and knows I use a legless Signature on the road. Even Sonor doesn't make 'em like that anymore......not even close. So that's my deal there. As far as Pete's link......I have many friends who are custom builders and I'd have to list everybody, and that's not a great thing for me to do. I think the pics in the collection speak for themselves. But Pete is a genius. His work is simply off the charts. And he's one of the nicest guys on the planet. As always, thanks a lot!

Shortsman---

Thanks for your enthusiastic kind words. They are greatly appreciated!

You know, I answer a few of your questions and break down some of the things is "Tears" as well as some 19/16 & 21/16 in my dvd "Methods and Mechanics"......available direct to your door from us:

http://www.altitudedigital.com/todd-sucherman-methods-and-mechanics.html

That would explain my thoughts more than I ever could here, but you have to hear the pattern within the pattern. You get comfortable with a certain rhythmic shape....and everything can be broken down into groups of 2s and 3s. You get to the point where you don't count at all (as you do when learning it) but you internalize the rhythmic shape. Then you can experiment with different groups of 3s and 2s to improvise some other ideas. Again, I recommend getting the dvd. The odd time section is on disc 2.

As far as recording goes, I've done plenty of "no click" sessions. The new Brian Wilson record I'm doing has been full rhythm section live with no click. But most sessions have click for more reasons that just solid time. In today's digital world when files are emailed from one player to the next, the tracks have to line up on the grid for the various recording software systems. So most times a click is needed whether it's wanted or not. And then if your running time code or synching music to picture it's helpful too. Make sense?

Thanks again, man.

Cheers from Huntington, WV

Todd

Shortsman---

Thanks for your enthusiastic kind words. They are greatly appreciated!

You know, I answer a few of your questions and break down some of the things is "Tears" as well as some 19/16 & 21/16 in my dvd "Methods and Mechanics"......available direct to your door from us:

http://www.altitudedigital.com/todd-sucherman-methods-and-mechanics.html

That would explain my thoughts more than I ever could here, but you have to hear the pattern within the pattern. You get comfortable with a certain rhythmic shape....and everything can be broken down into groups of 2s and 3s. You get to the point where you don't count at all (as you do when learning it) but you internalize the rhythmic shape. Then you can experiment with different groups of 3s and 2s to improvise some other ideas. Again, I recommend getting the dvd. The odd time section is on disc 2.

As far as recording goes, I've done plenty of "no click" sessions. The new Brian Wilson record I'm doing has been full rhythm section live with no click. But most sessions have click for more reasons that just solid time. In today's digital world when files are emailed from one player to the next, the tracks have to line up on the grid for the various recording software systems. So most times a click is needed whether it's wanted or not. And then if your running time code or synching music to picture it's helpful too. Make sense?

Thanks again, man.

Cheers from Huntington, WV

Todd

I will buy the dvd soon. I was planning to anyway. I'm not comfortable with money right now because i'm going to serve in the military for 9 months and i keep my savings otherwise i would have already bought it! The explanation though was truly good and understandable! Thanks once again!

Now about the pearl demon drive! I'm planning to buy it but i'm not quite sure about what it feels like! I already have the axis longboards a pedals and i'm not that satisfied because they don't have the power that i need and i don't feel it under my foot all the time! It's easy to play fast but it's very difficult to control it. I'm trying to improve my foot technique, playing paradiddles on top of a beat grouped in 3 or trying to play swiss triplets, doubles, drugs etc. and i can't control it that easy but when i play on a pearl eliminator with strap it feels better even though they're not my pedals! What do you suggest?

Shortsman,

You ask what I suggest:

I suggest you try any gear before you buy it. Something like cymbals and pedals need to be felt and played before slapping down the cash. The DD is more like the Axis but it has a bit more whip behind it if you dial it in right. It's still light and fast feeling, but you should play it first. It's expensive too. That being said, a $29.95 DVD (the WAS going to be priced at $69 before the economy tanked) might serve you better for 9 months while you're away than a $600 pedal! Especially if cash is tight......

I wish you luck--and stay safe.

Cheers from Reading, PA
Todd

Shortsman,

You ask what I suggest:

I suggest you try any gear before you buy it. Something like cymbals and pedals need to be felt and played before slapping down the cash. The DD is more like the Axis but it has a bit more whip behind it if you dial it in right. It's still light and fast feeling, but you should play it first. It's expensive too. That being said, a $29.95 DVD (the WAS going to be priced at $69 before the economy tanked) might serve you better for 9 months while you're away than a $600 pedal! Especially if cash is tight......

I wish you luck--and stay safe.

Cheers from Reading, PA
Todd
Of course i'll buy the dvd much sooner than the pedal! I was really excited by the advertisement of the DD that you were part of too, and if it feels like the way described then i'll buy it when I'm able to of course. Of course i'll try it before i buy it but your opinion about whatever related to the drums is mostly appreciated! Thanks a lot about the way you answer and for being that great inspiration for me!

Hello Todd

Quick one:
General wonderment...I'm going back to the year 2000. You toured with REO right? In the part of the concert -towards the end- where you all join and trade songs and so forth..you hopped behind Bryan Hitts kit. So did you guys meet each other? You know kit-setup-wise? (Pardon my English, Todd) I mean obviously you flattend out the snare angle and stuff like that. Set the height of the throne maybe...I was just wondering because I find (and sure you as well) that the kit-setup is a very individual thing. I mean I couldn't play properly with another guy's setup. Especially if I insisted on getting the sound everyone in the audience expects right! ...I'm not familiar with Bryan's setup (shame on me:)) but I sure learned how you prefer things around you when you play...and there's where things don't match.

I hope you see what I'm trying to ask you there, Todd..I tend to phrase things a little complicated...at least in English:) (..and by the way: you DID sound great back in 2000!!)

Thanks a lot man and cheers
from Bavaria..
Andreas

P.S. Any news yet on the "european clinic, next year" - thing?

Last edited:
Back