Tips for tuning a black panther snare

newdrummerjk

Hey guys, I just got a mepex meridian maple with a matching black panther snare. Really nice kit, but I know there is alot more beautiful sound potential in my snare. Tips? I have a torque key......maybe you guys could post your torque key settings for the snare (top and bottom heads). The snare has too much ring, and rim shots sound plain.....blah. Also, when I hit the 10" tom, the snare buzzes a good bit, and it is really annoying. What are your tuning and snare buzzing tips?

Tons of tuning threads here on DW and a bunch of "how to" clips all over youtube (take particular note of Bob Gatzen's vids....his approach is tried and tested). Check 'em out.

Not aware of too many using torque keys and I'll hazzard to guess that's the reason why you haven't had a steady stream of guys posting their settings.

I normally keep mine cranked reasonably high both top and bottom and sounds lovely and use an O ring to dampen. I haven't tightened mine for ages and know it's slackened off a little compared to what it was and now gives a much fuller and more rock / deep wood sound but in essence they're very versatile and will sound good at pretty much all pitches so really comes down to what you prefer.
If you're getting lots of snare buzz it's often caused by the pitch of the snare and tom being too close so you need to decide which you don't mind altering the pitch of and re-tune one or the other, if you're not happy with the sound you're getting from your snare at the moment but are your tom then I'd suggest start with the snare.

Back