Metronome with keypad for tempo?

mikeg

I was reading Poly's post on Adjusting tempo, and I'm curious if anyone knows of a metronome with a number keypad for setting the tempo?
Counting off songs is mostly up to me, and it would be nice to have this feature. I have a Tama Rhythm Watch, but it has a jog-wheel knob
which is okay, but not as good or fast as punching in a number.

Hey Mike!

I'm after the very same thing! The we use the same one at the moment - and the jog wheel is a right bind... We tried programming tempos, and 20 songs is the limit. No good if your set is usually close to 40!

A lot of people have recommended things like the Boss DB-90... all very well, but £100, no keypad, and more than likely a pain in the rear for making up a playlists.

The alternative to hardware is software, and apps. The problem I find with them is that they tend to be rather fiddly. I don't know about you, but I want to keep my eyes on the musicians before I count them in - the last thing I want to do is look down at a touchscreen to see where the button is before moving on...

I think hardware is the way forward - but I've not seen a good solution to this issue yet!

We'll keep our ear to the ground for now!

m

korg beatlab has one.

KorgBeatLab.jpg

The alternative to hardware is software, and apps. The problem I find with them is that they tend to be rather fiddly. I don't know about you, but I want to keep my eyes on the musicians before I count them in - the last thing I want to do is look down at a touchscreen to see where the button is before moving on...

Agreed. It needs to be simple to program and operate during a performance.

korg beatlab has one.

KorgBeatLab.jpg

This looks interesting. I didn't know it was out there. The only one I was aware of was made by Yamaha (Clickstation), but
it's been discontinued. You see them on eBay occasionally after they've been sold... I'll definitely check out the Korg.

Thanks.

-Mike

There's a free android app called "mobile metronome" which has this functionality. It's very, very handy.

If you have one of these, be happy, because you can't get one now (at least not online). My order was unceremoniously canceled and money refunded. Now I can't find it for sale anywhere. Weird..

If anyone knows of another metronome with a number keypad for entering tempo, please let me know.

I use the Beatlab and am very happy with it. It does WAY more than I need, but being able to enter tempos on the fly makes it extremely handy and well worth the investment. That said, I've got a few iPad apps that may soon replace it, simply beacuse they're more legible to my eye. Ludwig offers a free metronome app on their site, and Guitartoolkit is a nifty tuner/tunings/guit-bass-banjo-etc app that sounds great and is a lot of fun, and has a nice large flashing metronome with various sounds. It's a scrollable tempo selecter, so not quite as speedy as the Beatlab, but at least I don't have to replace batteries. :) :)

If you happen to have an iphone, that would be smaller than the Beatlab as well.

Actually, I wouldn't be surpised if there's a 'nome app that has a keypad. :)

Bermuda

I use the Beatlab and am very happy with it. It does WAY more than I need, but being able to enter tempos on the fly makes it extremely handy and well worth the investment. That said, I've got a few iPad apps that may soon replace it, simply beacuse they're more legible to my eye. Ludwig offers a free metronome app on their site, and Guitartoolkit is a nifty tuner/tunings/guit-bass-banjo-etc app that sounds great and is a lot of fun, and has a nice large flashing metronome with various sounds. It's a scrollable tempo selecter, so not quite as speedy as the Beatlab, but at least I don't have to replace batteries. :) :)

If you happen to have an iphone, that would be smaller than the Beatlab as well.

Actually, I wouldn't be surpised if there's a 'nome app that has a keypad. :)

Bermuda

Bermuda.

Good suggestions. I have an iPhone as well as an iPad, but I wonder if the click would be audible in loud venues? I guess I could run it through my in-ear
monitor mixer. I'll give it a try this evening. The only downside to those devices is their expense and that they lock after 5 minutes of idle time. The
lock is forced on me because I chose to keep my work Email and calendar (Exchange) on them. That unfortunately makes them impractical unless the
app has a way of preventing the screen form locking (like the Netflix app). Otherwise, I have to enter a four digit code to unlock every five minutes.

I can't understand why none of the other metronomes have a number pad.

Back