Yamaha Stock Heads?

JHwibbs

I recently ordered a set of maple custom absolutes (with nouveau lugs) and was planning to slap some Evans G1s and an EMAD bass head on them when they got here. However, I am curious as to your thoughts on Yamaha heads. Are they ok?

I recently ordered a set of maple custom absolutes (with nouveau lugs) and was planning to slap some Evans G1s and an EMAD bass head on them when they got here. However, I am curious as to your thoughts on Yamaha heads. Are they ok?

Stock heads are stock heads. As far as I know, DW is the only company that has excellent stock heads. All others are sub-par.

A few years ago I bought my Yamaha MCAN's. They came with OK heads but they were Remo Clear Ambassador knock offs. They did have the "Made by Remo" brand on the heads but if I had to guess I'd say they were probably not quite up to par with that Ambassadors - although above the typical stock thick Saran Wrap you get on most new kits.

What I did:
Without playing a note on the new heads, I removed batter and resos and replaced them with my some Aquarian coated batters (Studio -X at the time) and clear resos (Classic Clears) and never looked back. In fact I just sold all of those 'unplayed' heads on eBay a short while ago. I felt fine selling them as they were right for somebody and I sold them as a No Reserve item to let the market determine value.

Like I mentioned I do believe that the heads that ship with the MCAN's are better than say Pacific stock heads but they didn't have the sound I wanted. I have read other posts that were very satisfied with these stocks so give that some thought.

Jim

Stock heads are stock heads. As far as I know, DW is the only company that has excellent stock heads. All others are sub-par.

I don't think that this is true, many high end drums come with good stock heads. My Yamaha BCAN came with clear ambassadors and a PS4 bass drum head.

My new Sonors came with Clear ambassadors and ps3 bass drum heads. These are not knock-offs, they are just branded Sonor in addition to remo usa.

Wayne

I got my Maple Custom Absolute kit back in Feb 08. The stock heads are Remo Ambassadors. I like them as resos. On the batter side, I thought they sounded OK, a little bright for me. I now have coated emperors on the toms, which sound very warm.

For the kick, I have an EMAD2 on the batter side, which sounds great! I also play with a full front head, no port, and have a Beta 52 (May Mount) inside. Just one of the Evans EQ Pads for muffling.

How are you enjoying the kit?! What finish did you go with? Mine's sliver sparkle, die cast hoops, original lugs; 10, 12, 14, 16, and the kick is 22 x 16. I love these drums! They stay in tune so well, and have such an inspiring sound!

I got my Maple Custom Absolute kit back in Feb 08. The stock heads are Remo Ambassadors. I like them as resos. On the batter side, I thought they sounded OK, a little bright for me. I now have coated emperors on the toms, which sound very warm.

For the kick, I have an EMAD2 on the batter side, which sounds great! I also play with a full front head, no port, and have a Beta 52 (May Mount) inside. Just one of the Evans EQ Pads for muffling.

How are you enjoying the kit?! What finish did you go with? Mine's sliver sparkle, die cast hoops, original lugs; 10, 12, 14, 16, and the kick is 22 x 16. I love these drums! They stay in tune so well, and have such an inspiring sound!

Thanks for the replies. I haven't gotten the kit yet but I'm super excited. It was supposed to arrive in 8-12 weeks, and yesterday was the 8 week mark.

Its a jazz/bop kit in brown fade;
14x18
14x14
8x12
5.5x14

I can't wait!

Congratulations on getting one of the best kits created on this planet. The stock heads are single ply clear remos and usually a PS 3 bass drum head.

Thanks for the replies. I haven't gotten the kit yet but I'm super excited. It was supposed to arrive in 8-12 weeks, and yesterday was the 8 week mark.

14x18
14x14
8x12
5.5x14

I can't wait!

Congrats,

With those drums I would replace all the batters with coated ambassadors or coated G1. No point in changing the resos as they are fine heads. Are you looking for an open high pitched bass drum or a more modern sound?

Wayne

...maple custom absolutes (with nouveau lugs) ...Evans G1s and an EMAD bass head ...Yamaha heads. Are they ok?
I would play the drums first. See what they sound like. Then start buying heads. Once you decide what direction you want to take your sound (darker, brighter, phat'r), then start spending money.

I would play the drums first. See what they sound like. Then start buying heads. Once you decide what direction you want to take your sound (darker, brighter, phat'r), then start spending money.

I would like to take this opportunity to comment on your avatar.

dsh! dssh! dsssshhh!

Brought to you courtesy of 1984. :)

14x18
14x14
8x12
5.5x14

I can't wait!

That's gonna be a beauty! Hope the time between now and when you get it flies by.

On a bop kit I think coated ambassadors or coated g1's would be great. The stock clear ambassadors will sound good too, but may be a little too slick-surface for brush work.

Back